Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Merryem

Into: "It's time we stopped speculating Shawn Mendes' sexuality"

3 hours ago, The One Above All said:

Totally disagree with you. Speculating about someone else sexuality or religion it is primitive, dumb and harmful. His sexuality or his religion are nobody's business! clap1

Hell,

Speculating people's sexuality existed even in the press in the 1930s, basically ever since celebrity existed.

Back in those days, alot of movie stars had "morals" sections in their contracts. This included abstaining from homosexuality and promoting "wholesome" values. 

In 2018, we talk about homosexuality in a much different way. We are SO lucky to live in this time and age. Ask any gay man who lived in the 1940s / 50s and 60s.

When you have pop stars like Troye Sivan and Sam Smith out and proud, it's quite a positive thing for LGBT youth. 

Speculation / gossip is a normal, natural thing, and there are much worse things to deal with in the gay community (like racism and body image issues) then worrying about what poor Shawn Mendes thinks of gay rumors.

I could care less if I were him. In fact, his response on Snapchat that one time only made him look more insecure with himself. He shouldn't care. Being gay isn't a bad thing or anything to be ashamed of. Even if he's straight; he should care less.

People are always going to gossip. I think it's a good thing for him that THAT'S what people gossip about with him. There are much worse things that people could be saying then "I think he's gay."

3 hours ago, Miss Show Business said:

Speculation / gossip is a normal, natural thing, and there are much worse things to deal with in the gay community (like racism and body image issues) then worrying about what poor Shawn Mendes thinks of gay rumors.

I could care less if I were him. In fact, his response on Snapchat that one time only made him look more insecure with himself. He shouldn't care. Being gay isn't a bad thing or anything to be ashamed of. Even if he's straight; he should care less.

People are always going to gossip. I think it's a good thing for him that THAT'S what people gossip about with him. There are much worse things that people could be saying then "I think he's gay."

you are not him tho and u got no right to say how he should response on his Snapchat. 

It is not a matter of being ashamed of who you are, but it is a matter of privacy. There are personal information that u share only with family and friends and you don't want the all world to know it. And you have the human right to have your privacy respected.

There are many topics for gossip...why are you interested in knowing Shawn's sexuality? 

Do you think u got any chances with him?

4 hours ago, The One Above All said:

you are not him tho and u got no right to say how he should response on his Snapchat. 

It is not a matter of being ashamed of who you are, but it is a matter of privacy. There are personal information that u share only with family and friends and you don't want the all world to know it. And you have the human right to have your privacy respected.

There are many topics for gossip...why are you interested in knowing Shawn's sexuality? 

Do you think u got any chances with him?

Lmao, sis...lmfao2

Please feel free to point out where I lied. I'll wait. 

If you're upset that people think you're gay, it's either:

A) you actually are gay and you're not secure with your own sexuality, or

B) you have a problem with homosexuality.

When you're a public figure, people gossip. Being speculated to be gay isn't damaging, shameful, or anything of the sort. Shawn should have give 0 fucks to give, and honestly he probably does shrug1

7 hours ago, Miss Show Business said:

Lmao, sis...lmfao2

Please feel free to point out where I lied. I'll wait. 

If you're upset that people think you're gay, it's either:

A) you actually are gay and you're not secure with your own sexuality, or

B) you have a problem with homosexuality.

When you're a public figure, people gossip. Being speculated to be gay isn't damaging, shameful, or anything of the sort. Shawn should have give 0 fucks to give, and honestly he probably does shrug1

I disagree. To gossip about sexual orientation/religion it is damaging and primitive. It is not up to you to decide the fucks people should give. Peace.

8 hours ago, The One Above All said:

I disagree. To gossip about sexual orientation/religion it is damaging and primitive. It is not up to you to decide the fucks people should give. Peace.

Why is it damaging? That only insinuates that to be homosexual is "damaging and primitive." And you're right, it's not up to me, I'm only saying IF I were him, and if I were very secure in my sexuality, I wouldn't care about rumors. Tell me how, in 2018, gay rumors are damaging in any way shape or form? It's petty gossip. Oh, and gossiping can help you live longer. It's a normal, human thing. Gossip only becomes damaging when it is truly something negative or criminal, when it turns into slander or libel.

11 minutes ago, Miss Show Business said:

Why is it damaging? That only insinuates that to be homosexual is "damaging and primitive." And you're right, it's not up to me, I'm only saying IF I were him, and if I were very secure in my sexuality, I wouldn't care about rumors. Tell me how, in 2018, gay rumors are damaging in any way shape or form? It's petty gossip. Oh, and gossiping can help you live longer. It's a normal, human thing. Gossip only becomes damaging when it is truly something negative or criminal, when it turns into slander or libel.

It is not about gay rumors. If he was transgender or Jewish and people start speculating on that, my point stands still. Those kind of speculations are damaging the community as whole, because the show the level of immaturity that we have reached. It is harmful to focus people attention on such cold topics. Gossip should focus on what people do, actions rather than people's inner psyche. 

On 24 May 2018 at 7:53 AM, attitude said:

I'm glad someone with an outlet said this but I hope it doesn't bring more attention to it and make it worse. The Streisand effect. 

This. I so often come across articles saying "we need to stop xyz" when I wasn't even aware "we" were "doing" the thing in question in the first place orangu1 

On 24 May 2018 at 12:53 PM, Dangerous Jim said:

I think gay men are so desperate for him to be gay that they can't stop themselves. But really all they are doing is pushing him further into the closet, if he indeed is gay. If Shawn really was gay, and he came out now, it would be so groundbreaking and good for the gay community. But there's no hope of that if he keeps being constantly hounded on social media about it.

The FOTP Fossils all called it for you back in 2011. Gilly too, and Nick oprah14  It's more likely to make him end up snapping and saying something that "ends" his career 

On 5/25/2018 at 1:46 PM, Miss Show Business said:

People aren't annoyed by the rumors because they think being gay is bad, they're annoyed because he's already said he isn't and that should be enough. Nobody's sexual orientation can be "confirmed" by someone else. I don't see why people can't just like an artist without crossing into awkward and speculative territory that can make someone uncomfortable.  

1 hour ago, attitude said:

People aren't annoyed by the rumors because they think being gay is bad, they're annoyed because he's already said he isn't and that should be enough. Nobody's sexual orientation can be "confirmed" by someone else. I don't see why people can't just like an artist without crossing into awkward and speculative territory that can make someone uncomfortable.  

I personally don't understand why it would be such an uncomfortable question, there's NOTHING wrong with homosexuality, therefore there shouldn't be a problem speculating. Most celebrities are at least semi-public with their personal lives. He doesn't have to be, but being in the public eye, people are going to talk. Imagine the reverse, a gay celebrity that someone has dug up information on that suggests he's bi or straight. Would we be saying "it's nobodies business if someone is straight"? It just sounds absurd. Also, whether Shawn likes it or not, a statement doesn't mean people are going to believe you. As I mentioned in a previous post: celebrities in old Hollywood had to hide their identities (see Tab Hunter, Cary Grant, Marlon Brando, etc) some of these celebrities confirmed they had gay relationships, some denied or ignored them (like Cary Grant) even though evidence suggests he had a long term relationship with a fellow actor in the 30s. To me, it's just gossip, and the most harmless kind. Especially in the 21st century. If we didn't care or if it "didn't matter" if celebrities are gay or not, then open stars like Sam Smith, Troye Sivan, Frank Ocean, etc wouldn't be as celebrated by the gay community as they are. When young people look up to you, young people who are LGBT, it makes a difference in their lives to see people like them succeeding and living happily. It matters.

No one is forcing Shawn to come out. We still don't know if it's true or not, as we haven't seen him in any relationships. He has denied it, this is true, but as I said people aren't going to stop speculating.

I think the most important thing is, when we discuss Shawn, and speculate if he is gay, it is out of admiration, not out of disgust or disapproval.

35 minutes ago, Miss Show Business said:

I personally don't understand why it would be such an uncomfortable question, there's NOTHING wrong with homosexuality, therefore there shouldn't be a problem speculating. Most celebrities are at least semi-public with their personal lives. He doesn't have to be, but being in the public eye, people are going to talk. Imagine the reverse, a gay celebrity that someone has dug up information on that suggests he's bi or straight. Would we be saying "it's nobodies business if someone is straight"? It just sounds absurd. Also, whether Shawn likes it or not, a statement doesn't mean people are going to believe you. As I mentioned in a previous post: celebrities in old Hollywood had to hide their identities (see Tab Hunter, Cary Grant, Marlon Brando, etc) some of these celebrities confirmed they had gay relationships, some denied or ignored them (like Cary Grant) even though evidence suggests he had a long term relationship with a fellow actor in the 30s. To me, it's just gossip, and the most harmless kind. Especially in the 21st century. If we didn't care or if it "didn't matter" if celebrities are gay or not, then open stars like Sam Smith, Troye Sivan, Frank Ocean, etc wouldn't be as celebrated by the gay community as they are. When young people look up to you, young people who are LGBT, it makes a difference in their lives to see people like them succeeding and living happily. It matters.

No one is forcing Shawn to come out. We still don't know if it's true or not, as we haven't seen him in any relationships. He has denied it, this is true, but as I said people aren't going to stop speculating.

I think the most important thing is, when we discuss Shawn, and speculate if he is gay, it is out of admiration, not out of disgust or disapproval.

It becomes uncomfortable when someone has openly said they aren't gay but people continue to claim the person is. That's wrong, and can hurt a person's self esteem. Imagine Shawn growing insecure about himself because he feels he isn't masculine enough; going over in his head why he gives off that vibe to people. Nobody should have to deal with that. Also, it quite telling how the LGBT community wants to shatter stereotypes but continues to peddle them against others. 

24 minutes ago, attitude said:

It becomes uncomfortable when someone has openly said they aren't gay but people continue to claim the person is. That's wrong, and can hurt a person's self esteem. Imagine Shawn growing insecure about himself because he feels he isn't masculine enough; going over in his head why he gives off that vibe to people. Nobody should have to deal with that. Also, it quite telling how the LGBT community wants to shatter stereotypes but continues to peddle them against others. 

Again, this is suggesting that being homosexual is something to be ashamed of and something to hide. It makes no sense.

1 hour ago, Miss Show Business said:

Again, this is suggesting that being homosexual is something to be ashamed of and something to hide. It makes no sense.

It's annoying to be constantly pestered by rumors saying you are something that you're not, regardless of it is "bad" or not. Why are you so hellbent on calling homophobia over such a non-issue? jj4

2 hours ago, Miss Show Business said:

no its just fucking annoying lol.

2 hours ago, Miss Show Business said:

Would you like to be called straight no matter how much you proclaim to be gay? Remember how it feels as a queer person to have your sexuality invalidated and erased. 

On 5/24/2018 at 11:23 AM, Merryem said:

why again are we policing how someone feels in regards to speculation over their sexuality rip4 he said respectfully that he’s straight and said he was frustrated about how he said he’s not but people still insist he is. the fact that people are getting defensive and saying “well it’s not a bad thing to be gay” is completely missing the point because he never said it was a bad thing? he just said he isn’t, and people still keep harassing him about it. if people made rumors that ellen was secretly straight or elton john then NO ONE would say it’s “implying being straight is a bad thing” if they said no we’re gay. the gay community is so self righteous i swear...just leave the boy alone dead4 

i feel like you missed a few points of the article lol. the last few paragraphs cover this.

Totally agree with u.  Shawn even said that even if he was gay theres nothing wrong w that in his 2016 video.  People should really leave him alone.  All the internet memes i mean i get it, its for a kii but sometimes it becomes excessive

I honestly don't even think he's really gay, and some str8 guys r somewhat feminine.  It's not unrealistic.

3 hours ago, Miss Show Business said:

no its not.

Shawn himself said its not a bad thing

3 hours ago, Nihilego said:

It's annoying to be constantly pestered by rumors saying you are something that you're not, regardless of it is "bad" or not. Why are you so hellbent on calling homophobia over such a non-issue? jj4

If it's a non issue sis, then why are you all still in here debating it?J6wXl.gif

I think it is a non issue, in that I could care less if he is gay, and I'm sure Shawn could care less too.

In my opinion, if gay rumors bother you, you think that something is wrong with homosexuality. We don't ever question if someone is straight, nor would it be a big deal to literally anyone. If a rumor is so stupid, petty, and untrue, then you would not be defensive, because for one you know it's untrue, and a petty accusation like that doesn't make you look bad in any way. So it would be stupid to fight it. You would only want to to fight something that makes you look bad (slander / libel.)

The gays obviously love and admire Shawn. That's it! They just hope he plays for their team so they have something more in common with him. It's not that complicated to understand.

Gay rumors are not hurtful because being gay is not a hurtful or wrong thing.

The tea is that he's a celebrity and I will continue to speculate on his sexuality for fun because the memes are great. I don't care about his feelings because he signed up for this. He traded his privacy for fame and money. People speculating on his sexuality is one of the things that was bound to happen and he knew that. If he's offended, he can go cry on his mountain of cash and the shoulders of millions of his supportive fans who would still love him if he was gay.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.