Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Dennis Reynolds

James Mangold to direct Boba Fett movie; Stephen Daldry in talks to direct Obi-Wan Kenobi movie

The hunt is on.

James Mangold is writing and will direct a Star Wars stand-alone movie centered on Boba Fett, the feared bounty hunter and fan-favorite character, The Hollywood Reporter has exclusively learned.

The reveal comes as Disney and Disney-owned Lucasfilm prepare for the release of the latest Star Wars stand-alone film, Solo: A Star Wars Story. Solo, which opens Friday, is the second movie to be spun from the main Star Wars line — Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was the first — but it is the first to focus on a particular character.

Lucasfilm is developing movies on a slew of characters including Obi-Wan Kenobi, which has Stephen Daldry in negotiations to direct, although no writers are working on a script.

It was rumored that Simon Kinberg, the writer-producer behind the X-Men franchise and films such as The Martian, was working on a Boba Fett movie. While Lucasfilm and Disney won’t make any official confirmation, sources say that Mangold will co-write the script with Kinberg, who will also produce the Boba Fett project. Kinberg and Mangold are close, having worked on Logan, the X-Men spinoff that earned high praise last year.

Boba Fett was introduced in 1980’s Empire Strikes Back and then appeared in 1983’s Return of the Jedi as the mercenary who brings Han Solo to the slug-like crime lord Jabba the Hutt. Despite having a helmet over his face and very limited time onscreen (not to mention a slapstick death), the character, with his jet pack and battle-scarred armor, grew to cult status.

The George Lucas prequels showed Boba Fett's origin as a subplot but more importantly, his escapades were featured in various books, comics, animated series, video games and merchandizing. Jeremy Bulloch inhabited the role in the initial movies.

Details for the Boba Fett storyline are being kept deep in the Sarlacc Pit.

Mangold brought prestige to the superhero genre with Logan, which he co-wrote and directed, and was produced by Kinberg. The X-Men stand-alone featuring Wolverine earned the filmmaker plaudits as well as an Oscar nomination for best adapted screenplay.

The writer-director, who also counts the Johnny Cash biopic Walk the Line, the Tom Cruise action movie Knight and Day and the Western 3:10 to Yuma among his credits, is prepping to step behind the camera this summer for a Ford vs. Ferrari drama for Fox. Mangold is repped by WME, Management 360 and Sloane Offer.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-boba-fett-movie-is-happening-james-mangold-direct-1113273

Here for an Obi-Wan movie.

I know Boba Fett is a cool character and fans adore him, but I really don't care about seeing a movie about him dead2

I'm actually kind of hoping they'll take a break from releasing Star Wars movies after Episode IX. I'm the biggest Star Wars fan but I feel like having a Star Wars movie every year, with no foreseeable end in sight, isn't a good move. Especailly since VIII got polarizing reception and Solo has been getting the stink-eye from fans even before it's release.

On 5/25/2018 at 2:10 AM, LittleDudeNT5 said:

Here for an Obi-Wan movie.

I know Boba Fett is a cool character and fans adore him, but I really don't care about seeing a movie about him dead2

I'm actually kind of hoping they'll take a break from releasing Star Wars movies after Episode IX. I'm the biggest Star Wars fan but I feel like having a Star Wars movie every year, with no foreseeable end in sight, isn't a good move. Especailly since VIII got polarizing reception and Solo has been getting the stink-eye from fans even before it's release.

I saw this yesterday but was saving my reply until I saw Solo, kinda forgot to address you here specifically rip2 

I think a Boba Fett movie is actually a good idea because he's somewhat of a blank slate. We don't really know much about his personality and I doubt it'll draw all that much from AOTC since he'll be an adult, so they won't be running the risk of a backlash of doing a character "wrong". All you really have to do is keep him cool and deepen his character, he could have an adventure about almost anything - other bounty hunters, renegade force-users, clones, etc. The box is wide open.

1 hour ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I saw this yesterday but was saving my reply until I saw Solo, kinda forgot to address you here specifically rip2 

I think a Boba Fett movie is actually a good idea because he's somewhat of a blank slate. We don't really know much about his personality and I doubt it'll draw all that much from AOTC since he'll be an adult, so they won't be running the risk of a backlash of doing a character "wrong". All you really have to do is keep him cool and deepen his character, he could have an adventure about almost anything - other bounty hunters, renegade force-users, clones, etc. The box is wide open.

It is nice that he is a relatively blank slate to work with, but then again, all of the fanboys will throw a fit if they make Boba Fett one way or another. I'm also worried they'll make him too "badass" because that's what the fans expect of him.

Idk, personally, I don't have that much attachment with Boba Fett and never cared to see something directly focused on him. They've been trying to give him his own movie and/or series for quite some time (since 2008, at least). I'll watch it, tho, of course. 

2 minutes ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

It is nice that he is a relatively blank slate to work with, but then again, all of the fanboys will throw a fit if they make Boba Fett one way or another. I'm also worried they'll make him too "badass" because that's what the fans expect of him.

Idk, personally, I don't have that much attachment with Boba Fett and never cared to see something directly focused on him. They've been trying to give him his own movie and/or series for quite some time (since 2008, at least). I'll watch it, tho, of course. 

Haha, true, they surely will not please everyone. My conception of the character is that he should be mostly out for himself and lacking in empathy for others, and he should be regarded as extremely qualified, but yea they could easily overdo it by making him too much of a crude tough guy.

I heard about that show a decade ago, "Star Wars Underworld" or something. I think they wanted to get the same kid from Attack of the Clones to play him? rip4 Maybe he's learned to act since then but I'd rather they get someone new, and this may be too much to ask but I think it would be cool if they had him wear the mask the entire movie like Dredd, or at least until the very end of the film (like Metroid).

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.