Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Krista

Teacher feeds sick puppy to snapping turtle; charged with animal cruelty

An Idaho teacher accused of feeding a sick puppy to a snapping turtle in front of students has been charged with misdemeanor animal cruelty.

The Preston Junior High School science teacher, Robert Crosland, sparked outrage when he was accused of feeding the small dog to the turtle as part of a demonstration to students in March.

Later that month, state officials euthanized the turtle. The Idaho Department of Agriculture has deemed the species invasive. 

Crosland, charged Friday, now faces up to six months in jail and $5,000 fine if convicted.

Idaho's attorney general assigned a special prosecutor to the case after a Franklin County prosecutor recused himself because of a conflict of interest, EastIdahoNews.com reported. Preston, Idaho, is about about halfway between Salt Lake City and Idaho Falls, Idaho.

Animal rights activist Jill Parrish filed a police report after hearing about the incident in March, but some students and parents came to Crosland's defense.

"If it was a deformed puppy that was going to die anyway. Cros(land) is very much circle of life," parent Annette Salvesen told KSTU-TV, Salt Lake City, in March.

"The event occurred well after students had been dismissed and was not a part of any school-directed program," Preston School District officials said in a March statement. "We emphasize that at no time was the safety of students or staff compromised." 

Preston, best known for being the town featured in Napoleon Dynamite, has a population of roughly 5,200.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/06/03/teacher-fed-puppy-snapping-turtle-animal-cruelty-charge/666598002/

They’re going for the whole “circle of life” argument but when was the last time you’ve seen a turtle naturally eat a dog??? That’s sick and definitely not something that should be demonstrated to students anna1

2 minutes ago, H.O.N.E.Y said:

Poor turtle was euthanized why? I mean that just states that we the government can kill animals and u can't.... jj4 

It was deemed invasive.  If i understand it correctly, it means it’s not native to the place and can be legally killed like lionfish invading the oceans that are not their natural habitat and overpopulated because they have no natural predators.  So they will eventually tip the balance of that local ecology.  That, if I’m understanding it correctly.

Also, the teacher should have been charged for traumatizing those kids.  I don’t know if there’s a law with that, but that’s terrible.

9 minutes ago, ploopy said:

It was deemed invasive.  If i understand it correctly, it means it’s not native to the place and can be legally killed like lionfish invading the oceans that are not their natural habitat and overpopulated because they have no natural predators.  So they will eventually tip the balance of that local ecology.  That, if I’m understanding it correctly.

Also, the teacher should have been charged for traumatizing those kids.  I don’t know if there’s a law with that, but that’s terrible.

But the event occured after students were dismissed they didnt have to watch although i bet they were curious

6 minutes ago, Music Meister said:

But the event occured after students were dismissed they didnt have to watch although i bet they were curious

Oh I missed that part, never mind then.

15 hours ago, Music Meister said:

Still poor puppy. Very random

Agreed. No one can say who is going to die.  There are many supposed dying animals that still recovered.

He is psychotic, and needs to be evaluated psychologically.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.