Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

tobearoundyou

Proof Mariah was seeing Derek Jeter much longer than we knew... (TEA)

1. According to an unreleased screenplay to "All That Glitters" (that I may or may not have gotten my hands on), the song "Underneath the Stars" is allegedly about one of her first dates with Jeter. According to an interview Mariah did with Chris Nickson, ""Underneath the Stars" was the first song recorded for Daydream." A quick Google search would tell you that the Daydream album began recording in November 1994. Just listen to lyrics like "imagined I was yours and you were mine."

2. "Crybaby" from the Rainbow album is allegedly about Mariah coping with the Jeter break up. The "new friend" was likely Luis Miguel. Later in the song, she sings "When we first got together early that September." This prompts the question: is she referring to September of '94, '95, or '96. (We all know when the Butterfly album was written.)

3. In a song off of the Charmbracelet, "Lullaby," Mariah alludes to many of her past songs. 

"So here we are again
All by ourselves
So familiar you know
That it actually almost feels like deja vu
Of that night on the roof
We kissed under the sky amid city lights
A sudden flashback to so long ago
In the dark all alone
With our bodies this close
Guess some things never change
'Cause I still melt away
When you touch me
And say my name"

4. During the process of writing and recording the Daydream album, Mariah worked with producers Jermaine Dupri and Manual Seal. They wrote three songs: Always Be My Baby, Long Ago, and Slipping Away. All of these coincide thematically. It is my understanding the Jeter allegedly broke up the adulterous affair in the midst of the birth of the Daydream album. They later got back together only to break up again prompting songs like My All and The Roof ("warm november night.") Then they mended the rough patch in early 1998, which was when the press believed the began publicly dating. This would make sense being that for most of the Daydream album she uses words like "boy" and "boyfriend" as oppose to "man" and "husband." It really was just a sweet sweet fantasy baby.

5. Speaking of 1998, it was that year that The New York Post ran a story about Mariah Carey’s former limo driver, Franco D’Onofrio. D’Onofrio chauffeured Mariah for four years and became very vocal about his customer’s travels. He claimed that in the fall of 1995, he began helping Mariah carry out her secret late night meetings with Derek Jeter. His account was that he would drop her off a block away from East 79th Street where Jeter resided and that he would pick her up four hours later. “She’d be wearing no makeup, looking disheveled, and he’d drive her back up to her home”, said a close friend of Franco.  You could argue that every night he crept into her dreams. (Just saying.)

6. This was a comment from one of Jeter's teammates when he was in the minor leagues.  "I'm just a guy working out and 10 feet away Jeter is hanging around with Mariah Carey. Seeing her was pretty cool. People of that stature don't usually come around the minor league parks." Again, a Google search would teach you that Derek Jeter didn't join the major leagues until 1995.

Draw your own conclusions, Lambs!

qcm001g3lgeycvrzttbm.gif?w=840

15 minutes ago, tobearoundyou said:

1. According to an unreleased screenplay to "All That Glitters" (that I may or may not have gotten my hands on), the song "Underneath the Stars" is allegedly about one of her first dates with Jeter. According to an interview Mariah did with Chris Nickson, ""Underneath the Stars" was the first song recorded for Daydream." A quick Google search would tell you that the Daydream album began recording in November 1994. Just listen to lyrics like "imagined I was yours and you were mine."

2. "Crybaby" from the Rainbow album is allegedly about Mariah coping with the Jeter break up. The "new friend" was likely Luis Miguel. Later in the song, she sings "When we first got together early that September." This prompts the question: is she referring to September of '94, '95, or '96. (We all know when the Butterfly album was written.)

3. In a song off of the Charmbracelet, "Lullaby," Mariah alludes to many of her past songs. 

"So here we are again
All by ourselves
So familiar you know
That it actually almost feels like deja vu
Of that night on the roof
We kissed under the sky amid city lights
A sudden flashback to so long ago
In the dark all alone
With our bodies this close
Guess some things never change
'Cause I still melt away
When you touch me
And say my name"

4. During the process of writing and recording the Daydream album, Mariah worked with producers Jermaine Dupri and Manual Seal. They wrote three songs: Always Be My Baby, Long Ago, and Slipping Away. All of these coincide thematically. It is my understanding the Jeter allegedly broke up the adulterous affair in the midst of the birth of the Daydream album. They later got back together only to break up again prompting songs like My All and The Roof ("warm november night.") Then they mended the rough patch in early 1998, which was when the press believed the began publicly dating. This would make sense being that for most of the Daydream album she uses words like "boy" and "boyfriend" as oppose to "man" and "husband." It really was just a sweet sweet fantasy baby.

5. Speaking of 1998, it was that year that The New York Post ran a story about Mariah Carey’s former limo driver, Franco D’Onofrio. D’Onofrio chauffeured Mariah for four years and became very vocal about his customer’s travels. He claimed that in the fall of 1995, he began helping Mariah carry out her secret late night meetings with Derek Jeter. His account was that he would drop her off a block away from East 79th Street where Jeter resided and that he would pick her up four hours later. “She’d be wearing no makeup, looking disheveled, and he’d drive her back up to her home”, said a close friend of Franco.  You could argue that every night he crept into her dreams. (Just saying.)

6. This was a comment from one of Jeter's teammates when he was in the minor leagues.  "I'm just a guy working out and 10 feet away Jeter is hanging around with Mariah Carey. Seeing her was pretty cool. People of that stature don't usually come around the minor league parks." Again, a Google search would teach you that Derek Jeter didn't join the major leagues until 1995.

Draw your own conclusions, Lambs!

qcm001g3lgeycvrzttbm.gif?w=840

Well given that she started stepping out more the closer to butterfly, it makes sense kylie2

Ehh, I find it hard to imagine that she would be involved with someone in that nature while married to Tommy. I think, because of her divorced parents, she tried really hard to make the marriage work. "Butterfly" even alludes to the fact that she was hoping they would get back together after the separation. Songs like Underneath the Stars and stuff could be about Tommy, or a past boyfriend from  before Tommy, or maybe a platonic friend she had a crush on. She could have known Derek by then, but I doubt most of these songs were about him. ABMB, Forever, and Long Ago are definitely about her decomposing marriage w/ Tommy. Slipping Away is definitely about Tommy too. (Which was written by Mariah and Dave Hall, not Dupri & Seal)

(I wrote a whole blog post about why "The Roof" is about Tommy. Check it out jj2)

I suppose Underneath the Stars could be about a night out with Jeter that wasn't romantic, per se, but was in Mariah's eyes? But I find it hard to believe that, since Tommy was extremely controlling. Idk when she would have had the time or space to have an affair; or even one secret night that would illicit UTS.

My conclusion is... no. um1 There's too much evidence against it. Although I do hope they were an item before February 1997 because I'd much rather "Honey" be about Derek, rather than Tommy ari1 

8 hours ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

Ehh, I find it hard to imagine that she would be involved with someone in that nature while married to Tommy. I think, because of her divorced parents, she tried really hard to make the marriage work. "Butterfly" even alludes to the fact that she was hoping they would get back together after the separation. Songs like Underneath the Stars and stuff could be about Tommy, or a past boyfriend from  before Tommy, or maybe a platonic friend she had a crush on. She could have known Derek by then, but I doubt most of these songs were about him. ABMB, Forever, and Long Ago are definitely about her decomposing marriage w/ Tommy. Slipping Away is definitely about Tommy too. (Which was written by Mariah and Dave Hall, not Dupri & Seal)

(I wrote a whole blog post about why "The Roof" is about Tommy. Check it out jj2)

I suppose Underneath the Stars could be about a night out with Jeter that wasn't romantic, per se, but was in Mariah's eyes? But I find it hard to believe that, since Tommy was extremely controlling. Idk when she would have had the time or space to have an affair; or even one secret night that would illicit UTS.

My conclusion is... no. um1 There's too much evidence against it. Although I do hope they were an item before February 1997 because I'd much rather "Honey" be about Derek, rather than Tommy ari1 

I believe the "Daydream" symbolizes the proverbial nightmare Mariah was living (see: Looking In) and how it was depicted to the public as a Cinderella story. Another view is that the "Daydream" itself is a young unfettering relationship (whether that be with Jeter or another man) and the bittersweet notion of Mariah's that this love is encumbered by a waning marriage. I also ask that you refer to #1. The script, that was co-written by Mariah, allegedly centers around a young woman who meets a high-up record exec becomes a renowned recording artist. At this same time she pursues a relationship with the man who is in his mid-forties while the woman is in her early 20s. In the midst of her success and controlling relationship/marriage, she meets a young man who is also in the industry and the slowly fall in love. She finds peace within herself and eventually leaves the Svengali character. 

10 hours ago, tobearoundyou said:

I believe the "Daydream" symbolizes the proverbial nightmare Mariah was living (see: Looking In) and how it was depicted to the public as a Cinderella story. Another view is that the "Daydream" itself is a young unfettering relationship (whether that be with Jeter or another man) and the bittersweet notion of Mariah's that this love is encumbered by a waning marriage. I also ask that you refer to #1. The script, that was co-written by Mariah, allegedly centers around a young woman who meets a high-up record exec becomes a renowned recording artist. At this same time she pursues a relationship with the man who is in his mid-forties while the woman is in her early 20s. In the midst of her success and controlling relationship/marriage, she meets a young man who is also in the industry and the slowly fall in love. She finds peace within herself and eventually leaves the Svengali character. 

It's also a script that she was starting to write after her separation with Tommy, during her relationships with Jeter and Miguel, while still being under her Sony contract w/ Tommy still being her boss. I get that it's fairly autobiographical, but that doesn't mean she was in a budding relationship with someone. It is a fictional script, after all.

Also, see this:

19 hours ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

But I find it hard to believe that, since Tommy was extremely controlling. Idk when she would have had the time or space to have an affair; or even one secret night

Also, no tea no shade, but you're the only one who has talked about this first draft of All That Glitters. I would need to read it myself to gather my own conclusions 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.