Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Philip

Kim K's impact: Trump grants clemency to Alice Johnson

President Donald Trump has granted clemency on Wednesday to Alice Marie Johnson, a first-time nonviolent drug offender who was given a life sentence without parole, Mic has learned.

The 63-year-old great-grandmother — whose case has been spotlighted recently by Kim Kardashian West and Mic’s Opinion desk — will be released from federal prison in Aliceville, Alabama, where she has been serving her sentence since 1996.

News of Johnson’s release comes a week after Kardashian West advocated for her in an Oval Office meeting with Trump.

In an exclusive interview with Mic after that meeting, Kardashian West said Trump “really spent the time to listen to our case that we were making for Alice. He really understood, and I am very hopeful that this will turn out really positively.”

Kardashian West initially became involved in Johnson’s case in October when she saw a Mic Opinion video featuring Johnson sharing her story from prison.

https://mic.com/articles/189663/exclusive-president-trump-grants-clemency-to-alice-johnson-after-kim-kardashian-west-involvement#.L8wljwNHr

2 hours ago, Unapologetic Bitch said:

its not her impact, he used her to get publicity to "get black voters" ew2 it was services exchange, i mean her "crime" was super minor she would get clemency anyway just not that fast

I think she should be applauded for her efforts, but Trump probably didn't do this for Alice Johnson. He did this because he probably doesn't consider her his "enemy". Her husband is a fan of him. And Trump probably wants more celebrities on his side. He's been sour since the election that no famous person wants to associate themselves with his ass.

That being said, good for Alice Johnson. 

1 hour ago, Unapologetic Bitch said:

its not her impact, he used her to get publicity to "get black voters" ew2 it was services exchange, i mean her "crime" was super minor she would get clemency anyway just not that fast

Uhm ... no. She had been waiting for clemency for literally decades, and her particular case could only be "pardoned" by a president, which she had already asked for during the Obama administration, but Obama didn't pardon her (why is anyone's guess, she's got a really good record in jail and even letters attesting to her good behavior from jail workers etc)

I agree that Trump didn't do it out of "the kindness of his heart", but whatever his motivations, she would've probably stayed in Jail at the very least another 8 years had he not pardoned her. 

11 hours ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

I think she should be applauded for her efforts, but Trump probably didn't do this for Alice Johnson. He did this because he probably doesn't consider her his "enemy". Her husband is a fan of him. And Trump probably wants more celebrities on his side. He's been sour since the election that no famous person wants to associate themselves with his ass.

That being said, good for Alice Johnson. 

Agree with everything u said. rav3

11 hours ago, Princess Aurora said:

She's got some impact clap3 Do you think she could be a good activist ?

She already is doing a better job then most so called "activists". She actually does the WORK rather than talk non-stop about what we COULD be doing or what we SHOULD be doing. She just went and DID IT like a boss bitch. oprah14

50 minutes ago, H.O.N.E.Y said:

She already is doing a better job then most so called "activists". She actually does the WORK rather than talk non-stop about what we COULD be doing or what we SHOULD be doing. She just went and DID IT like a boss bitch. oprah14

What she did is an expression of activism. Only reason her point got across was because of her power and clout as a mega-celebrity.

Don’t undermine activists like that... sheesh. 

10 hours ago, BJORK said:

What she did is an expression of activism. Only reason her point got across was because of her power and clout as a mega-celebrity.

Don’t undermine activists like that... sheesh. 

I'm all for activism but much like the whole Demi/Taylor debacle about the Kesha dr Luke Rape Case:

Spoiler

demi-lovato-comment-1456142774.jpg

One is talking about the issues (like an activist would, not that I consider Demi one but u know what I mean), while the other does the WORK. I respect both but I have to give it up to the person that gets the job done regardless of HOW they got it done as long as it's morally acceptable. oprah12

Kim K deserves respect and praise regardless of how she rose to fame (sex tape) and regardless of how she knows the president (fellow reality star, friend of her husband) and why she was granted her request (Trump needs good publicity and black voters). Those are the facts, jack. oprah13

6 hours ago, H.O.N.E.Y said:

I'm all for activism but much like the whole Demi/Taylor debacle about the Kesha dr Luke Rape Case:

Hide contents

demi-lovato-comment-1456142774.jpg

One is talking about the issues (like an activist would, not that I consider Demi one but u know what I mean), while the other does the WORK. I respect both but I have to give it up to the person that gets the job done regardless of HOW they got it done as long as it's morally acceptable. oprah12

Kim K deserves respect and praise regardless of how she rose to fame (sex tape) and regardless of how she knows the president (fellow reality star, friend of her husband) and why she was granted her request (Trump needs good publicity and black voters). Those are the facts, jack. oprah13

I get where you’re going but Demi Lovato is not an activist :s She is a full time entertainer with a social media account and influence. I think you’re confused about what “activists” do. Yes. Anyone can be one but just because a famous person speaks out on something that doesn’t make them an activist. 

10 hours ago, BJORK said:

I get where you’re going but Demi Lovato is not an activist :s She is a full time entertainer with a social media account and influence. I think you’re confused about what “activists” do. Yes. Anyone can be one but just because a famous person speaks out on something that doesn’t make them an activist. 

I merely used Demi as an example. I agree Demi isn't an activist. Kim K is not an activist either, but she helped the woman in question more than anyone previous. She deserves the praise. rav3

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.