Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Galactic-Tiger

Moonwalk vs Voguing

More iconic dance move  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which dance move is more iconic?

6 hours ago, Merryem said:

fndgdfg i LEGITIMATELY didn't know voguing was what it was called when gays flap their arms like that until a few weeks ago when i asked my friend why "gays always do that dance move" and he was like "you mean voguing?"

anyways the answer is moonwalking

Vogueing is more about posing in general but of course it also includes hand/arm work. Flapping your arms like there’s no tomorrow - waacking.

People still remember where they were when they saw Jackson moonwalk across the stage during a televised Motown special in 1983. That dance step had been around since the 1950s, but Jackson made it his own "sharpening it up with a snappier heel and a slicker glide. In this and many other ways, he changed the face of dance," noted U.K.'s The Guardian in 2009.”

“Back then, I thought nobody in China could be listening to Michael Jackson,” she says. Yet Hong hosted three evenings of her late-night TV talk show “Straight Talk” about Jackson’s death while the Chinese Internet lit up with discussion of his life and music. The top video-sharing Web site Youku.com has dozens of posts of Chinese youths moonwalking to his songs in black loafers, white socks and high-water pants.”

“Anybody who dances well is compared with Michael Jackson,” says Nikhil Gangavane, who founded India’s official, 13,000-member Jackson fan club. “The moonwalk made Michael reach from the classes to the masses in India.”Indian actors, from Javed Jaffrey to Hrithik Roshan, say they were inspired by Jackson’s dancing. And the southern Indian movie industry still uses Jackson-esque routines, thanks to the influence of dancers and choreographers like Prabhu Deva, known as “India’s Michael Jackson” for his lightning-fast moves.

Sony reports career album sales of at least 4.9 million for Jackson in Japan, making him one of the top-selling international artists. “Thriller” alone sold 2.5 million copies. But his impact went beyond sales. His 1987 tour helped reshape J-pop’s choreography, as performers tried to appropriate his moves.Michael is the biggest entertainment influence on the Japanese people after the Beatles,” says Ken Ohtake, president of Sony Music Publishing Japan. “He will always remain in the hearts of the Japanese people as an extraordinary and unparalleled artist.”

Moonwalking and MJ’s dancing influences even the 3rd world slums of India, where voguing likely doesn’t exist.

To a lot of people who aren’t familiar with western artists, Michae Jackson is the one they know, and the moonwalk is his signature move regardless of its origins. 

Voguing is and always will be a gay ballroom thing that still goes on today, and while Madonna popularized it, many people don’t directly associate it with her because voguing has gotten popular as gay culture becomes more normative, and voguing ends up being associated with that. 

Moonwalk by a lot mj1

it's more respected and more baddass imo mj1

Someone Voguing is cringey as fuck tbh, especially if it's a man brit5

I used to take dance lessons and one time they Forced to do a voguing, embarrasing dead2

1 hour ago, Mr. "Legend" Gorgeous said:

It's just a move, sis. It's not a dance!

Voguing is famous for their movements, not just one movement!

Also, many young people from LGBTQ+ community knows this! Dont even try!

Moonwalk is more iconic to the straight community (which accounts for a large percentage of the overall GP),  and none of the straights even know what voguing is

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Anna Wintour said:

Moonwalk is more iconic to the straight community (which accounts for a large percentage of the overall GP),  and none of the straights even know what voguing is

giphy.gif

Maybe your straights dont know it, but my straights know it well. Keep living in 19th century, sis

58 minutes ago, Ricky Martin said:

Moonwalk by a lot mj1

it's more respected and more baddass imo mj1

Someone Voguing is cringey as fuck tbh, especially if it's a man brit5

I used to take dance lessons and one time they Forced to do a voguing, embarrasing dead2

Wow. look at you, shy ass

51 minutes ago, Mr. "Legend" Gorgeous said:

Maybe your straights dont know it, but my straights know it well. Keep living in 19th century, sis

To say that voguing is more popular or more iconic than the moonwalk is just stupid

On 6/12/2018 at 11:13 PM, The One Above All said:

I'm not discrediting the gays and I'm not talking about ballroom dancing. I'm talking about voguing only.

Voguing is a staple of ballroom dancing and culture and was conceptualized by underrepresented POC LGBTQ+ individuals. Madonna took it and made it popular and more accessible in that era, sure, since the ballroom scene was much so underground. However, this simply does discredit the LGBTQ+ community over something they sunk their hearts and souls into considering they had no other place to be heard or express themselves. Voguing and ballroom culture today is more mainstream and popular due to the LGBTQ+ community and not due to some no longer popular song. People like Aja or Leiomy are now in the spotlight and paving the way for ballroom culture to be brought into mainstream, and this includes shit like voguing and dips/death drops.

Vanessa Hudgens is so into voguing right now not because of Madonna, but the gays. This is so ignorant and lets not.

8 hours ago, Law said:

Voguing is a staple of ballroom dancing and culture and was conceptualized by underrepresented POC LGBTQ+ individuals. Madonna took it and made it popular and more accessible in that era, sure, since the ballroom scene was much so underground. However, this simply does discredit the LGBTQ+ community over something they sunk their hearts and souls into considering they had no other place to be heard or express themselves. Voguing and ballroom culture today is more mainstream and popular due to the LGBTQ+ community and not due to some no longer popular song. People like Aja or Leiomy are now in the spotlight and paving the way for ballroom culture to be brought into mainstream, and this includes shit like voguing and dips/death drops.

Vanessa Hudgens is so into voguing right now not because of Madonna, but the gays. This is so ignorant and lets not.

Ok, but Vogue by Madonna will always be a popular song as long as stars like Ariana and Katy will include it in the setlist of their tours. mad3

4 hours ago, The One Behind All said:

Ok, but Vogue by Madonna will always be a popular song as long as stars like Ariana and Katy will include it in the setlist of their tours. mad3

The question isn’t the popularity (which it isn’t, the song has a legacy which is why it’s played, I don’t see it on the charts) or legacy of Vogue, it’s where the credit should go, which is to the gays, stop trying to circle around the argument.

Where do you think Madonna took (stole) inspiration from? She and others essentially colonized voguing from the POC LGBTQ+ community without giving them any actual credit for what she took from. Do your research, have you even seen Paris is Burning? 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.