Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Simón.

Kids have fewer problems when raised by gay parents, says study

Children raised by gay and lesbian parents develop as well psychologically as those brought up by heterosexual couples, a study suggests. 

Psychologists based in Italy said their findings add to growing scientific evidence that indicates having same-sex parents does not disadvantage a child as those who disagree with such family arrangements might assume.

The team at Sapienza University of Rome enlisted three groups of Italian parents for their study. The participants were comprised of 70 gay fathers who had their children through a surrogate; 125 lesbian mothers who were inseminated with donor sperm; and 195 heterosexual couples who had a child together without medical intervention. The children involved in the paper published in The Physiological Society were between 3 and 11 years old.

The researchers asked the parents to complete online questionnaires on factors including their ability to parent successfully, how well they adjusted to parenthood, and how well their family functioned. Their child’s psychological adjustment, or the strengths and difficulties they face, were also documented.

The resulting data indicated there are no major differences in the answers across the groups and the scores were considered normal. In fact, the children of same-sex parents had fewer problems than children with different-sex parents. And the researchers said some of the measures used to test how well a family functions produced better results among same-sex parents, especially gay fathers.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.newsweek.com/children-raised-gay-and-lesbian-parents-develop-well-kids-heterosexual-1001515%3famp=1

Doing a study on children of same-sex couples while they're still growing up doesn't necessarily reflect how they'll turn out later in their life. Also, parents are obviously going to give good answers even if it's not true. I don't think this is a fair study. 

35 minutes ago, attitude said:

Doing a study on children of same-sex couples while they're still growing up doesn't necessarily reflect how they'll turn out later in their life. Also, parents are obviously going to give good answers even if it's not true. I don't think this is a fair study. 

This is so ridiculous. Please give it up and accept that fact that children of gay/lesbian parents end up just as fine if not better than those who are raised by heterosexual parents, or at the very least provide some study to challenge the findings of this one? 

To your second point, LGBT+ parents have no reason to lie and neither do heterosexual parents. It's a scientific study, not a competition. 

Also, here is another study that found similar results: http://psycnet.apa.org/record/2006-11202-004

Considering that humans, like other living beings, are social and that children need love, attention, support and comfort during their development, it is not surprising that same-sex parents can raise one or multiple happy children who can successfully integrate themselves into society and become respectuful members of their communities.

2 minutes ago, Ghostface said:

Considering that humans, like other living beings, are social and that children need love, attention, support and comfort during their development, it is not surprising that same-sex parents can raise one or multiple happy children who can successfully integrate themselves into society and become respectuful members of their communities.

You'd be surprised...

1 hour ago, Kenya said:

This is so ridiculous. Please give it up and accept that fact that children of gay/lesbian parents end up just as fine if not better than those who are raised by heterosexual parents, or at the very least provide some study to challenge the findings of this one? 

To your second point, LGBT+ parents have no reason to lie and neither do heterosexual parents. It's a scientific study, not a competition. 

Also, here is another study that found similar results: http://psycnet.apa.org/record/2006-11202-004

Why not ask the children questions instead? The parents shouldn't be the ones giving the answers because they clearly have an agenda to push. 

10 minutes ago, attitude said:

Why not ask the children questions instead? The parents shouldn't be the ones giving the answers because they clearly have an agenda to push. 

Well, had you read the article, or been familiar with research methods, you'd know the following:

The researchers asked the parents to complete online questionnaires on factors including their ability to parent successfully, how well they adjusted to parenthood, and how well their family functioned. Their child’s psychological adjustment, or the strengths and difficulties they face, were also documented.

I feel like you don't understand the context of the study or the methods used to conduct the study. So here is the link where you can actually read the entire study and its findings in full:

https://journals.lww.com/jrnldbp/Abstract/publishahead/Same_Sex_and_Different_Sex_Parent_Families_in.99302.aspx?PRID=JDBP_PR_062818

Also, how is it "clear" based on the article that the parents are pushing a specific agenda? What in the article lead you to believe that?

and for those who are like "but a kid needs a mother" and all that other bullshit:

And the researchers said some of the measures used to test how well a family functions produced better results among same-sex parents, especially gay fathers.

20 minutes ago, attitude said:

Another self-loathing homosexual! GREAT!

7dd62ff2aaa072239d0810ae5c66a8aa.gif

13 minutes ago, Rosé. said:

Are the gay parents wealthier on average? If they can afford medical intervention they might be and that could explain the disparity. 

from the article:

And the researchers said some of the measures used to test how well a family functions produced better results among same-sex parents, especially gay fathers.

The authors argued this could be because of the efforts invested in surrogacy. In addition, gay fathers were more likely to earn more, be older and have more stable relationships than the lesbian and heterosexual couples. 

@Electra Heart.

Sapienza University:

QS Global World Ranking
LMFAO. That university is not even in the top 200 universities in the world. lol2
The scientific prestige of this survey is very low, as is scientific research in Italy. Anyway, I'm aware that there are more valid researches from more prestigious US or UK universities. So I'll get to the point and I will explain you why this survey is useless. trash1
First of all, psychological development in children occurs mainly in the first two years of life. This survey starts at the age of 3 years. The importance of the mother is revealed much earlier. According to attachment theory, the newborn child tends to develop a strong bond of attachment with those who take care of him. The brain development of children (as well as their social, emotional and cognitive development) depends on this attachment relationship with the so called primary caregiver. Usually it's the mom for obvious reason. You attach to your mom's breasts. This contact deeply affects the child's psyche. xtina14 
The children can feel the difference between mom and dad. Maternal love is different from paternal love, because women are biologically and psychologically different from men. Two men cannot breastfeeding for start and they  will never be able to replace a woman. Their children will have two dads, but they will never know what it means to have a mother. A woman who gives birth and becomes a mother, is perhaps more empathetically connected to the child than a man? What do you say?
Furthermore, I'd like to stress that the newborn should be exclusively breastfed in its first six months of life because breast milk protects it from infectious diseases, improves the path of growth and development, and reduces the likelihood of the appearance of chronic diseases. So if you don't receive breast milk then you are weaker from a medical point of view. rav1
That said, let's comeback to the survey.  The age range is up to 11 years. What happens next? Up to 11 years, you spend most of your time at home with your parents, so you are somehow much more protected. But how do these children leave the family nest and have to deal with the outside world?
In addition, what kind of questions they asked? I'm very curious to know if they have asked those kids if they ever felt excluded at school? If they said no, they are liars. At school we always talk about the difference between boys and girls with the other classmates. Also, how can you not feel excluded when you celebrate Mother's Day and you have two dads instead? Or how do you not feel different when studying classical literature, reading about men who marry women and the very different relationship of children with their mother and father? You should revisit all the literature to avoid making them feel excluded. This is more or less what they try to do in Germany where the gender-neutrality ideology is implemented, which seeks to inculcate in the children's head that there is no difference between men and women. In my opinion it is rubbish. mad9
Finally, I'd like to conclude with a general though on the topic. Gays need the help of society to have children: they need to use the sperm of a stranger or they have to resort to human technology. In this sense, human society has every right to ask gays the following question: why should we help you have children? Why do you need to use human technological knowledge to satisfy your personal need? Is being a parent really a fundamental human right? In my opinion, it is not a universal right. Being a parent is not for all human beings. We can not pretend to be parents. I am sure that many people without children would be able to love a child and be good parents, but it is not their right.
Let's think about IVF. It is obvious that without technology would not be possible. I do think that the technological development is part of Nature. But we must always make responsible use of technology so as not to damage nature and other human beings. Not everything that can be done, it must be done. For example, it is possible to clone human beings, but is it worth it? Who would benefit from that? oprah8
32 minutes ago, The One Behind All said:

@Electra Heart.

Sapienza University:

QS Global World Ranking
LMFAO. That university is not even in the top 200 universities in the world. lol2
The scientific prestige of this survey is very low, as is scientific research in Italy. Anyway, I'm aware that there are more valid researches from more prestigious US or UK universities. So I'll get to the point and I will explain you why this survey is useless. trash1
First of all, psychological development in children occurs mainly in the first two years of life. This survey starts at the age of 3 years. The importance of the mother is revealed much earlier. According to attachment theory, the newborn child tends to develop a strong bond of attachment with those who take care of him. The brain development of children (as well as their social, emotional and cognitive development) depends on this attachment relationship with the so called primary caregiver. Usually it's the mom for obvious reason. You attach to your mom's breasts. This contact deeply affects the child's psyche. xtina14 
The children can feel the difference between mom and dad. Maternal love is different from paternal love, because women are biologically and psychologically different from men. Two men cannot breastfeeding for start and they  will never be able to replace a woman. Their children will have two dads, but they will never know what it means to have a mother. A woman who gives birth and becomes a mother, is perhaps more empathetically connected to the child than to a man? What do you say?
Furthermore, I'd like to stress that the newborn should be exclusively breastfed in its first six months of life because breast milk protects it from infectious diseases, improves the path of growth and development, and reduces the likelihood of the appearance of chronic diseases. So if you are don't receive breast milk then you are weaker from a medical point of view. rav1
That said, let's comeback to the survey.  The age range is up to 11 years. What happens next? Up to 11 years, you spend most of your time at home with your parents, so you are somehow much more protected. But how do these children leave the family nest and have to deal with the outside world?
In addition, what kind of questions they asked? I'm very curious to know if the have asked those kids if they ever felt excluded at school? If they said no, they are liars. At school we always talk about the difference between boys and girls with the other classmates. Also, how can you not feel excluded when you celebrate Mother's Day and you have two dads instead? Or how do you not feel different when studying classical literature, reading about men who marry women and the very different relationship of children with their mother and father? You should revisit all the literature to avoid making them feel excluded. This is more or less what they try to do in Germany where the gender-neutrality ideology is implemented, which seeks to inculcate in the children's head that there is no difference between men and women. In my opinion it is rubbish. mad9
Finally, I'd like to conclude with a general though on the topic. Gays need the help of society to have children: they need to use the sperm of a stranger or they have to resort to human technology. In this sense, human society has every right to ask gays the following question: why should we help you have children? Why do you need to use human technological knowledge to satisfy your personal need? Is being a parent really a fundamental human right? In my opinion, it is not a universal right. Being a parent is not for all human beings. We can not pretend to be parents. I am sure that many people without children would be able to love a child and be good parents, but it is not their right.
Let's think about IVF. It is obvious that without technology would not be possible. I do think that the technological development is part of Nature. But we must always make responsible use of technology so as not to damage nature and other human beings. Not everything that can be done, it must be done. For example, it is possible to clone human beings, but is it worth it? Who would benefit from that? oprah8

Imagine being so selfish to play mommy and daddy that you adopt a child and put them through years of homophobic bullying in school for having same-sex parents. We would never! sorry1

6 minutes ago, attitude said:

Imagine being so selfish to play mommy and daddy that you adopt a child and put them through years of homophobic bullying in school for having same-sex parents. We would never! sorry1

Newsflash, straight people are the ones having gay children who are actually subjected to homophobic bullying. Are you that dense?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.