Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

LÉON

Why are problematic artists still smashing?

2018 seems to be the year of urban artists saying or doing things that range from awkward to awful, and yet still getting hits and streams. In a world where the online community cancels celebrities for one Tweet, I find it surprising - nay, shocking - that artists with dreadfully offensive views/actions are still making coin from their music. This ranges from Drake's blackface scandal, to Nicki supporting her paedophile brother, to Kanye West saying black people enslaved themselves, to XXXTinction abusing his partner(s).

What should be done with these artists? Should we just focus on the music (and not the paedophile ring?) Considering a few years ago someone was "over" for exposing a tit, why do people turn a blind eye now?

It's all about the image, the more "savage or badass" they look, they more success they'll have.

tay11

Stanbases don't stan music nowadays, they stan everything that's cool, till it stops being cool.

tay11

If you don't drag someone with your music nowadays, you can't sell music, FACTS.

tay11

Because controversy sells. Ask kim kardashian, kanye west and madonna (3 controversial pop culture figures). kesha11

I personally can't separate the art from the artist. mad8

11 minutes ago, Americunt said:

Straight boys dictate the charts and don't give a fuck about whether someone's a piece of shit on a personal level.

This, unfortunately. And way too many people are pieces of shit. 

because the "online community" isn't the same as the majority which listens to music, just think of your high school friends etc.

none of them know / care about xxx beating up a gay person, but hate katy because her "scandals" are the only things about her that pop up on their feeds

1 hour ago, Winnie. said:

Didn’t Madonna write a book where she had sex with a underage boy? 

is was all her fantasies and made up stories katy8 + i think it said the boy had a body "like a man" katy11, so she probably thought about a 17-18 y/o jay1

2 hours ago, Freaky Prince said:

And they cancelled Natalia over a scripted mess tay8 I have to laugh tay8

I doubt it was scripted if the people there all said otherwise esp the boy in question and the amazing CLASSY Melanie Blatt from All Saints calling bullshit on Whackjob Killed Ha Career. brit9

2 minutes ago, H.O.N.E.Y said:

I doubt it was scripted if the people there all said otherwise esp the boy in question and the amazing CLASSY Melanie Blatt from All Saints calling bullshit on Whackjob Killed Ha Career. brit9

The producers told her to be nasty. She was supposed to be the Simon Cowell of X Factor NZ. That specific exchange was not scripted, but it was definitely not "real".

6 minutes ago, H.O.N.E.Y said:

Did you expect that Melanie to admit it was scripted? brit9 Obviously she was going to keep playing by the rules, either way if she exposed the show she would've been fired and maybe even sued brit9

13 minutes ago, Domy said:

is was all her fantasies and made up stories katy8 + i think it said the boy had a body "like a man" katy11, so she probably thought about a 17-18 y/o jay1

nope katy3 

she explicitly says she was turned on by how young he looked katy3 

she even mentioned his complete lack of pubes katy3

sooooo katy3 

The answer is most people probably either don't care or don't even know.

Personally, I couldn't care less if an artist I like said or did something I find repugnant (in terms of me being a consumer, of course they should not be exempt from any possible social or legal consequences). I'm not even familiar with the Drake controversy you mention in the OP, and while I can understand if others feel skeevy or something about spending money on and listening/watching/reading something by a person they find reprehensible, the idea of checking beforehand to see if any one of probably thousands of people it took for some artwork to be released is a POS seems exhausting and like a waste of my time. Not to mention many famous artists work for some pretty evil corporations that collectively do more bad than most singular people could hope to anyway.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.