Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Princess Aurora

Are rappers considered poets?

As we all know, in the past we had poets so do you consider rapper poets? My answer would be yes and no and I'll tell you why.

Rappers are storytellers who use prose to build a lyrical narrative set to an external beat so it could be considered as a form of poetry but I also say no because every song is basically built like this and only the good ones are considered as such. Both rap and poetry use literary devices like assonance and alliteration. Both use words. Both are spoken. But rap is a musical-verbal art and poetry is a verbal-musical-typographical one. 90's rap like the king 2Pac or Eminem's rap could be perfect for these comparisons despite his controversial topics but rappers such as XXXTentaction, Lil Pump and the emo rap and mumble shit or the aggressive rapping style à la Nicki Minaj or Cardi B , it's just far from the standards I mentioned before and it's turning into zero poetry and edgy attitude like Miley Cyrus tried to do a few years ago  lol3 At least Post Malone tried to mix his style with EDM which works perfectly or despite his being cringy , Drake is not an edgy rapper and this is why he's popular right now same goes to Florida,Pitbull, William or Kendrick Lamar who is very interesting as a rapper but what about the others ? lol3  

26 minutes ago, Jjang said:

I mean, yes. But poetry can be bad too lol 

Not here for the Triple X shade.

Yes but anyone's personal enjoyment from a poem is a highly subjective question. We all gotta remember that Poetry is an Art form too. However, there are some common features of poems that are considered by critics to be "great."  the most important quality of all is a strong and distinctive voice, that can conjure a brand new world. For example in English Literature we had Keats or T.S. Eliot who brought this, 90's rap had something similar but still arguable but the current one is just shit compared to bitch It's King Kong, Gucci Gang and all those uhhhh sounds or the Cardi B croaks sia4 At least Contemporary Visual Arts found a way to justify some of their atrocious artworks so lol3 

11 minutes ago, Princess Aurora said:

Yes but anyone's personal enjoyment from a poem is a highly subjective question. We all gotta remember that Poetry is an Art form too. However, there are some common features of poems that are considered by critics to be "great."  the most important quality of all is a strong and distinctive voice, that can conjure a brand new world. For example in English Literature we had Keats or T.S. Eliot who brought this, 90's rap had something similar but still arguable but the current one is just shit compared to bitch It's King Kong, Gucci Gang and all those uhhhh sounds or the Cardi B croaks sia4 At least Contemporary Visual Arts found a way to justify some of their atrocious artworks so lol3 

I think you should just balance your focus. We had shitty rappers in the 90’s too. You still have guys like Kendrick, Tyler, Chance, Gambino, Kanye and even XXX serving quality music that encapsulates a lot of “classic” poetry elements (in terms of artistic merit) or whatever you want to call it. 

1 hour ago, Jjang said:

I think you should just balance your focus. We had shitty rappers in the 90’s too. You still have guys like Kendrick, Tyler, Chance, Gambino, Kanye and even XXX serving quality music that encapsulates a lot of “classic” poetry elements (in terms of artistic merit) or whatever you want to call it. 

It's not me saying that it's the Art World saying that. oprah14 I fully respect Tyler The Creator as well because he collaborated with the King of Pop Surrealism and made the album cover for his album as well, Childish Gambino is getting recognized as well and I'm glad he is while Kanye always seemed like a try-hard to me especially him trying to compare himself to the Masters made me laugh lol3 Kanye was good until 2012/2013 but now he's just rip4 

im sure there are a few people who consider that to the likes of biggie smals, tupac, etc but i dont listen to the grenre outside of Nicki Minaj and CupcakKe so i dont.

3 hours ago, Princess Aurora said:

It's not me saying that it's the Art World saying that. oprah14 I fully respect Tyler The Creator as well because he collaborated with the King of Pop Surrealism and made the album cover for his album as well, Childish Gambino is getting recognized as well and I'm glad he is while Kanye always seemed like a try-hard to me especially him trying to compare himself to the Masters made me laugh lol3 Kanye was good until 2012/2013 but now he's just rip4 

But the 'Art World' has been saying that since the 90's as well and that should be the antidote to your point. aura1 Long story short, it is a form of poetry, to put it vaguely. I don't know, it seems pretty weird that out of all genres, Hip Hop is the one you choose to come after, It's literally one of the few genres left that keep evolving, unlike hideos formulaic Pop music.

5 hours ago, Punktious said:

Depends on the rapper. 6ix9ine, Lil Pump, XXX, definitely not they're garbage.

Kendrick Lamar? Yes most definitely a modern poet

This. There are rappers who have quality music but then theres XXX, and all that crap

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.