Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Dennis Reynolds

Oscars to add "Best Popular Film" category

lmfao1 morons

Dear Member,

Last night, the Board of Governors met to elect new board officers, and discuss and approve significant changes to the Oscars telecast.

The Board of Governors, staff, Academy members, and various working groups spent the last several months discussing improvements to the show.

Tonight, the Board approved three key changes:

1. A three-hour Oscars telecast

We are committed to producing an entertaining show in three hours, delivering a more accessible Oscars for our viewers worldwide.

To honor all 24 award categories, we will present select categories live, in the Dolby Theatre, during commercial breaks (categories to be determined). The winning moments will then be edited and aired later in the broadcast.

2. New award category

We will create a new category for outstanding achievement in popular film. Eligibility requirements and other key details will be forthcoming.

3. Earlier airdate for 92nd Oscars

The date of the 92nd Oscars telecast will move to Sunday, February 9, 2020, from the previously announced February 23. The date change will not affect awards eligibility dates or the voting process.

The 91st Oscars telecast remains as announced on Sunday, February 24, 2019.

We have heard from many of you about improvements needed to keep the Oscars and our Academy relevant in a changing world. The Board of Governors took this charge seriously.

We are excited about these steps, and look forward to sharing more details with you.

John Bailey and Dawn Hudson

https://deadline.com/2018/08/oscars-changes-popular-film-category-2020-date-1202442455/

7 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

improvements needed to keep the Oscars and our Academy relevant in a changing world

Yeah, no kidding, this is 100% in favor of ratings. Now having an Oscar winning movie will be a lot easier and more common, hence diluting the value of the award ... SAD.

Just now, jacs vs looser said:

Yeah, no kidding, this is 100% in favor of ratings. Now having an Oscar winning movie will be a lot easier and more common, hence diluting the value of the award ... SAD.

Yeah, if they really wanna throw The Dark Knight or Black Panther or whatever a nomination, I don't see why they can't just sneak that one in with the other movies, it hardly needs its own category...

13 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Yeah, if they really wanna throw The Dark Knight or Black Panther or whatever a nomination, I don't see why they can't just sneak that one in with the other movies, it hardly needs its own category...

And this has happened more regularly since switching the Best Picture category from a rigid 5 films to a flexible up-to-10 films nominated. The additional category makes no sense at all. The other changes I agree with.

4 minutes ago, harry said:

And this has happened more regularly since switching the Best Picture category from a rigid 5 films to a flexible up-to-10 films nominated. The additional category makes no sense at all. The other changes I agree with.

The worst thing is I think they actually did that because of The Dark Knight not getting nominated. At least it was part of the reason.

Is this a desperate attempt to include more minority-based films that they can't bring themselves to nominate in the standard categories? moo9 

33 minutes ago, Modern Woman said:

Is this a desperate attempt to include more minority-based films that they can't bring themselves to nominate in the standard categories? moo9 

No, this is more for like Marvel/Christopher Nolan movies.

At this point, I'm shocked that people look to Hollywood or the entertainment industry for social commentary or artistic integrity. I think Ian McKellen summed it up quiet succinctly, these are a group of people that have just discovered that black people exist, these are a group of people that like to relegate gay people to background and secondary roles, despite the fact that half of the fucking industry is an LGBT person, to preserve their take on a dollar. 

And now this? 

On 8/9/2018 at 1:07 AM, Not Dennis Reynolds said:

No, this is more for like Marvel/Christopher Nolan movies.

Nolan's movies were great and superior to Marvel movies.

That new category seems unnecessary, but let's not forget that many great movies didn't have a chance just because they were horrors or whatever.

Popular movies don't need to be superhero movies. Titanic was popular. If that category already existed, then a movie like Call Me By You Name could have won.

Anyway, this could be a mess, if bad popular movies get nominated. Most popular movies are usually bad.

On 8/8/2018 at 12:59 PM, Not Dennis Reynolds said:

The Dark Knight is popular and genuinely one of the best movies of all time. Don't compare it to Black Panther

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.