Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Agugaga

Which pop diva's catalog has no meaning/message

This pop diva's music stands for nothing  

43 members have voted

1. 1. No message behind the music

• Britney Spears
    • Katy Perry
    • Mariah Carey
    • Ariana Grande
    • Other

11 hours ago, Infrared said:

her biggest hits are literally message songs so lets not flap our mouths, and open our ears instead oprah14

Hero, Thank God I Found You, and One Sweet Day have 21 weeks on top. Not everyone has that gaga1

Definitely not Madonna gaga1 

Hits with a message >>> album cuts no one cares about apart from stans with a message 

gaga1 

Imagine saying Butterfly has no meaning and it's a song about 'flapping your wings and 'flying' we- 

Anyways, she wrote the song in hopes that the lyrics were something her Husband at the time would've told her when she was leaving cause at that point in her life she still believed she loved him and would go back to him eventually. She just wanted him to loosen his control on her and let her be free. She doesn't sing the chorus herself, and flutters through each word on the verses, she is the butterfly and is being told to spread her wings and fly. #SylkEDUCATES

Inspirational songs can all seem similar but Mariah's songs have always had deeper meaning to them; she has also written about depression, social activism, poverty, racism, faith, death, emotional abuse, etc  MC slander will never prosper !moo10

The ATTEMPTS in this thread brit4

Mariah has plenty of songs that have a deeper meaning to them, many of which were huge hits and inspired millions. If you are going to discount Hero and Butterfly and etc., how can you not discount Beautiful which is in the exact same vein as these songs? brit4 

And let’s not go about Britney. She’s not the most artistic pop singer for sure, but Lucky, Stronger, Piece of Me, Everytime, My Prerogative, Overprotected, etc. all touch on something deeper than just sex or love which is the standard pop fare. brit10

Katy Perry also doesn’t deserve to be on the list; Part of Me and Roar come to mind, and then especially since she started with her woke pop era - CTTR, Bon Apetite, etc. brit10 

The only one that truly didn’t do much of anything other than sex / love / relationships the entire time is Ariana, but she serves them bops so rih2  

14 hours ago, Manel said:

Y'all aren't really voting Britney.

Sis has Stronger, Overprotected, Lucky, My Prerogative, Everytime... Like I'm not her biggest fan but sis has touched several topics and made several points.

I voted for Ariana.

Those songs are not deep and they don't carry strong messages. rip2 Literally 12-year-olds find songs like those deep.

15 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Mariah has plenty of songs that have a deeper meaning to them, many of which were huge hits and inspired millions. If you are going to discount Hero and Butterfly and etc., how can you not discount Beautiful which is in the exact same vein as these songs? brit4 

And let’s not go about Britney. She’s not the most artistic pop singer for sure, but Lucky, Stronger, Piece of Me, Everytime, My Prerogative, Overprotected, etc. all touch on something deeper than just sex or love which is the standard pop fare. brit10

Katy Perry also doesn’t deserve to be on the list; Part of Me and Roar come to mind, and then especially since she started with her woke pop era - CTTR, Bon Apetite, etc. brit10 

The only one that truly didn’t do much of anything other than sex / love / relationships the entire time is Ariana, but she serves them bops so rih2  

End thread game.mp3

4 minutes ago, Beel said:

Those songs are not deep and they don't carry strong messages. rip2 Literally 12-year-olds find songs like those deep.

Opinion noted brit10 Fact is that those songs had messages beyond sex/love/relationships, and whether you liked them or not or thought they were deep or not doesn’t change facts. brit10

Just now, Vesper said:

Opinion noted brit10 Fact is that those songs had messages beyond sex/love/relationships, and whether you liked them or not or thought they were deep or not doesn’t change facts. brit10

God, imagine being shallow enough to find Britney Spears deep rip2 

14 hours ago, Winnie. said:

I could name a whole bunch of Mariah songs too baby 💀

Imagine trying to deny that madonnas image is where she’s most Controversial

Sex Book, Cone Titties, Her raunchy sexual performances, advocation for gay rights, advocation for AIDS, research and acceptance, music videos would be part of your image as well dead4

We weren't talking about who's more controversial here. But still, she has a bunch of provocative lyrics, and I don't mean just sexually provocative.

rih12

3 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Read the OP - where does he say the message has to be deep? nat1 

Nice try tho nat1 

"Basically, the music doesn't stand for anything. Not tackling any issues, taking a stand, speaking on behalf of a struggle, etc."

In short, "it isn't deep".

34 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Collect these hoes clap2 

5 hours ago, Sylk said:

Imagine saying Butterfly has no meaning and it's a song about 'flapping your wings and 'flying' we- 

Anyways, she wrote the song in hopes that the lyrics were something her Husband at the time would've told her when she was leaving cause at that point in her life she still believed she loved him and would go back to him eventually. She just wanted him to loosen his control on her and let her be free. She doesn't sing the chorus herself, and flutters through each word on the verses, she is the butterfly and is being told to spread her wings and fly. #SylkEDUCATES

Inspirational songs can all seem similar but Mariah's songs have always had deeper meaning to them; she has also written about depression, social activism, poverty, racism, faith, death, emotional abuse, etc  MC slander will never prosper !moo10

Oomfs snapped???? bey12 

4 minutes ago, Beel said:

"Basically, the music doesn't stand for anything. Not tackling any issues, taking a stand, speaking on behalf of a struggle, etc."

In short, "it isn't deep".

Piece of me tackled an issue of paparazzi harassment. Lucky tackled an issue of empty and unfulfilling aspect of fame and fortune, Overprotected tackled the issue of being, well, overprotected and coddled, Not a Girl not yet a woman tackled growing up as a girl, etc. 

Are these deep? Not necessarily xtina2 

But are these songs tackling an issue / taking a stance? Yes xtina2 

These are not the same things, so don’t try to make them. You can take a stand without being deep. rih2 

9 hours ago, ploopy said:

I wouldn't include Mariah on that list.  Ariana's songs are mostly about sex.  Katy Perry tried to be woke with CTTR but that's about it.

Firework - started the old fashioned trend of "You're perfect the way you are yay" (After Firework there was a wave of songs like this..Born This Way, Who You Are by Jessie, Perfect by Pink and so on)

Pearl was about a girl who got abused by her boyfriend and was all for female empowerment, Who Am I Living For questioned her existence as a superstar and critisized it a lot just like Mind Maze

Roar is a kids bop empowerment song, By The Grace Of God cured depression, CTTR was woke, Power is also a meaningful female empowerment song, so I think Katy shouldn't be on the list at all. She sometimes tends to do cringe/basic stuff (This Is How We Flop/T.G.I.F/) but that's about it hehe

Soooo. The winner is Brittany

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.