Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Hylia

Disney Receives Backlash for Casting of First Openly Gay Character

Jungle Cruise is attempting to bring the Disney magic in a new way, but its latest decision has stirred up quite a bit of controversy.

Comedian and actor Jack Whitehall has landed a role in the upcoming live-action Disney film, an announcement he made on his Instagram account. According to subsequent reporting from The Sun, Whitehall would be portraying a "hugely effete, very camp" openly gay character, who is the brother of Emily Blunt's Lily Houghton.

While the reporting is not completely confirmed, the notion that Whitehall might be portraying an openly gay character - one of the first to be seen in a Disney film - has gotten quite a lot of attention. Some are unhappy that this landmark Disney role appears to be rooted in stereotypes, a fact that is only made worse by the fact that Whitehall is straight in real life.

Granted, quite a few online are fine with the Jungle Cruise casting, but there still has been quite a lot of discourse all the same. Here's a round up of some of those responses.

http://comicbook.com/movies/2018/08/13/jungle-cruise-jack-whitehall-casting-lgbt-character-disney/#7

Something that has both the progressives and conservatives pressed interesting1 

I know most of the criticism is over him being straight but I'm not sure why the gays are also triggered about him being effeminate. While I get that it's a stereotype we can't forget it exists for a reason and his portrayal will be relevant to lots of gay people the world over. 

I can definitely understand both sides of this argument.

For me the problem isn't that he's gay, obviously, the problem for me is that they're feeding into stereotypes with his portrayal.

When it comes to portraying gay characters, I feel like there should be diversity.

I totally agree with some of the posts in here saying that there is a lack of diversity in the portrayal of gay characters. I fucking HATE that the camp type is the only one that is being presented in the media. NO.

Not every gay person is effeminate and camp and it's even more rude to let a straight actor play a "very camp" gay character in a Disney movie.

11 hours ago, Merryem said:

noah fence but the gays hating against "effeminite, campy" portrayals of gay characters saying it's stereotypical is so self-hating and reeking of internalized homophobia lmao. 

I agree with this, because internalized homophobia and sexism is such a big problem in the gay community. However I also agree that this character sounds rooted in stereotypes. I mean the gay community does have "campy" men, I'm not denying that, however I think this "campy" character should be played by an actual gay man, instead of a straight man. That's the most insulting part. Otherwise this role doesn't feel authentic and feels rooted only in stereotypes.

9 hours ago, attitude said:

The problem isn't that he's effeminate, the problem is that the overwhelming majority of gay characters on TV and in film are a stereotype. Where's the diversity? 

8 hours ago, SkellingtonHush said:

I can definitely understand both sides of this argument.

For me the problem isn't that he's gay, obviously, the problem for me is that they're feeding into stereotypes with his portrayal.

When it comes to portraying gay characters, I feel like there should be diversity.

5 hours ago, Ursula said:

I totally agree with some of the posts in here saying that there is a lack of diversity in the portrayal of gay characters. I fucking HATE that the camp type is the only one that is being presented in the media. NO.

Not every gay person is effeminate and camp and it's even more rude to let a straight actor play a "very camp" gay character in a Disney movie.

These cry6 I'm still waiting for a big mainstream gay character to just be an ordinary guy who just happens to like men. I have no problem with a straight man playing a gay character - because the reverse happens all the time (Ben Whishaw comes to mind). It's called ACTING for a reason, but why can't some of the gay characters be straight-acting orangu1 

12 hours ago, Merryem said:

noah fence but the gays hating against "effeminite, campy" portrayals of gay characters saying it's stereotypical is so self-hating and reeking of internalized homophobia lmao. 

THIS. I literally infuriates me to see that. I could get if they were fighting against stereotype(even that i would have an issue with cause lets be honest, we all are wanna be divas here to some degree) but the fact LGBT is finally crossing into different places just shows progress and we should all be happy about it first and foremost. Worry about image and details after.

3 hours ago, Just Whitney said:

THIS. I literally infuriates me to see that. I could get if they were fighting against stereotype(even that i would have an issue with cause lets be honest, we all are wanna be divas here to some degree) but the fact LGBT is finally crossing into different places just shows progress and we should all be happy about it first and foremost. Worry about image and details after.

I don’t agree with this mode of thought. This is a breakthrough moment that should be celebrated, yes, but you’re basically saying “well let’s be grateful that we’re even getting considered at all! Don’t criticize HOW they do it, even if it’s insulting or damaging or negative or a mockery or poorly executed or really badly done or whatever” xtina2 

Like as an Asian I guess I should be glad that we got portrayed in Breakfast at Tiffany’s! We should be grateful for that exposure, even though it was essentially a racist and orientalist mockery of Asian people portrayed by a white actor...? xtina2 

Why can’t we have representation that is actually done well? xtina2 Straight white men get it all the time so it can’t be that hard right? xtina2 

4 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I don’t agree with this mode of thought. This is a breakthrough moment that should be celebrated, yes, but you’re basically saying “well let’s be grateful that we’re even getting considered at all! Don’t criticize HOW they do it, even if it’s insulting or damaging or negative or a mockery or poorly executed or really badly done or whatever” xtina2 

Like as an Asian I guess I should be glad that we got portrayed in Breakfast at Tiffany’s! We should be grateful for that exposure, even though it was essentially a racist and orientalist mockery of Asian people portrayed by a white actor...? xtina2 

Why can’t we have representation that is actually done well? xtina2 Straight white men get it all the time so it can’t be that hard right? xtina2 

Wow...i didnt really know thats how i sounded. We love an educating legend, thank you!

4 hours ago, Miss Show Business said:

I agree with this, because internalized homophobia and sexism is such a big problem in the gay community. However I also agree that this character sounds rooted in stereotypes. I mean the gay community does have "campy" men, I'm not denying that, however I think this "campy" character should be played by an actual gay man, instead of a straight man. That's the most insulting part. Otherwise this role doesn't feel authentic and feels rooted only in stereotypes.

you’re 100000% right and i agree

1 minute ago, Just Whitney said:

Wow...i didnt really know thats how i sounded. We love an educating legend, thank you!

I know you didn’t intend to be malicious , I’m glad you can see why people may be a little miffed in that way 

Just now, Vesper said:

I know you didn’t intend to be malicious , I’m glad you can see why people may be a little miffed in that way 

Yeah it makes sense. We should fight for the best of representation of our community. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.