Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

fab

Aretha Franklin has died

Aretha Franklin, the undisputed "Queen of Soul" who sang with matchless style on such classics as "Think," ''I Say a Little Prayer" and her signature song, "Respect," and stood as a cultural icon around the globe, has died at age 76 from advance pancreatic cancer.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-16/-queen-of-soul-aretha-franklin-has-died

Confirmed by the Washington Post:

Aretha Franklin, whose exceptionally expressive singing about joy and pain and faith and liberation earned the Detroit diva a permanent and undisputed title — the “Queen of Soul” — died Aug. 16 at her home in Detroit. She was 76.

Her representative Gwendolyn Quinn confirmed the death to the Associated Press and said the cause was pancreatic cancer.

One of the most celebrated and influential singers in the history of American vernacular song, Ms. Franklin reserved her place on music’s Mount Rushmore in the late 1960s and early 1970s by exploring the secular sweet spot between sultry rhythm-and-blues and the explosive gospel music she’d grown up singing in her father’s Baptist church.

The result was potent and wildly popular, with defining soul anthems that turned Ms. Franklin into a symbol of black pride and women’s liberation.

Her calling card: “Respect,” the Otis Redding hit that became a crossover smash in 1967 after Ms. Franklin tweaked it just so (a “sock it to me” here, some sisterly vocal support there), transforming the tune into a fervent feminist anthem.

Click the Link to read the entire dedication and overview of Aretha's legendary career.
https://wapo.st/2nGhZxN

Very sad. RIP she was THE greatest female vocalist of all time,one of a kind. Laid the foundation for pop singing god bless her. Her legacy will go on forever 

My heart is broken. She made some of the most internationally known and respected songs of all time and her voice alone paved the way for the girls we stan today. I'm devastated but I'm glad she passed on to a better place while surrounded by loved ones. RIP. sob1 

she became more underrated during her final years but hopefully people realise the treasure that was Aretha Franklin. undoubtedly the greatest female vocalist of all times, her ability to power emotion through her voice was magical. not really related to her but I fell in love after watching this lipsync by Jujubee

An icon whose legacy is undeniable and unmatched. Literally had a voice that could move you to tears. There won't be another one like her. May she rest in peace.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.