Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Xgongiviguess

Is PC Music the future of pop?

So unless you've been living under a rock for the past few years. PC music has been gaining prominence. PC music is a subgenre of electronic music that is known to pay tribute to 90s electronic sounds and the early rise of computers and the internet age mixed with experimental elements and raw sounds.

Some prominent names in the genre are A.G. Cook, Danny L Harle, Sophie, Hannah Diamond, Dorian Electra, GFOTY, Easyfun and more recently Charli XCX since she started working with Sophie and numerous other PC producers on Vroom Vroom, Number 1 Angel and Pop2.

Here are some of my personal favorite songs of the genre:

Now that Gaga is apparently working with Sophie on LG6 and XCX3 is going to be produced by PC artists. Do you see PC music as a genre that could possibly become the future of pop? And are you here for it? Discuss tea2 

I really like what Danny is doing. It's only a matter of time before someone mainstream uses PC Music and gains fame from it. Consider them Bubbling Under. ellie1

Just now, Sir Stansalot said:

How is Melanie PC?  wat2 

Similar sound, I guess. Not really something I feel like debating, so I guess if she's a bad example she's a bad example. Anyway, PC Music ain't it sis. wat2 

22 minutes ago, Sir Stansalot said:

I'd like to believe but we also thought Bloodpop would be a prominent producer on Joanne so I'm not keeping my hopes up aura1 

Who thought that? We all knew Mark’s dirty hands were all over it aura1

It's not the future of pop, but more like a hypothesis within itself. Just like how back in the 60's people thought the fashion of the future would be all made out of translucent plastic, yet eventually that hypothesis turned around itself and that plastic fashion idea is now usually seen as part of the 60's zeitgeist. I mean, I can see the PC Music sound becoming a thing in the near future, but more "digestible" and having a way less experimental approach. Part of what makes PC Music so exciting is the unpredictability of those sonic effects (especially in Sophie's music), whereas mainstream pop productions are more or less based on predictability. Not saying that predictability is a bad thing tho.

1 minute ago, Design said:

It's not the future of pop, but more like a hypothesis within itself. Just like how back in the 60's people thought the fashion of the future would be all made out of translucent plastic, yet eventually that hypothesis turned around itself and that plastic fashion idea is now usually seen as part of the 60's zeitgeist. I mean, I can see the PC Music sound becoming a thing in the near future, but more "digestible" and having a way less experimental approach. Part of what makes PC Music so exciting is the unpredictability of those sonic effects (especially in Sophie's music), whereas mainstream pop productions are more or less based on predictability.

That is a very interesting take. I think you might have a point there! 

1 minute ago, Sir Stansalot said:

That is a very interesting take. I think you might have a point there! 

Thank-you. demi1 I mean, but really, when you think about it, Sophie's music (and more or less the PC Music gang too) have been taking an ironic approach to the current or past pop trends. GFOTY's music is probably the best example. Like, "Friday Night's" lyrics just basically being about going to a club just to suck some dicks in a bathroom stall and hook-up with multiple guys, which are being contrasted by the jittery-energetic techno-inspired beat and melody. I mean, familiar things can be said about Charli's "Vroom Vroom", or QT's "Hey QT", which was basically a hyperbolized parody of the then-current minimal-future-house trends.

3 minutes ago, Design said:

Thank-you. demi1 I mean, but really, when you think about it, Sophie's music (and more or less the PC Music gang too) have been taking an ironic approach to the current or past pop trends. GFOTY's music is probably the best example. Like, "Friday Night's" lyrics just basically being about going to a club just to suck some dicks in a bathroom stall and hook-up with multiple guys, which are being contrasted by the jittery-energetic techno-inspired beat and melody. I mean, familiar things can be said about Charli's "Vroom Vroom", or QT's "Hey QT", which was basically a hyperbolized parody of the then-current minimal-future-house trends.

I always found Sophie's bubblegum pop songs to be very catchy and have the ability to break into the mainstream. (Roll with Me, When I Rule the World) but I agree that GFOTY and the likes would probably never break into the mainstream with their experimental sounds

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.