Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

WinnieIsFree

The biggest selling female singers can’t sing, why?

1 minute ago, visionofrain said:

Child i am 5 percent portuguese from a long lost relative and my skin is darker than Mariahs.

The woman is a white biracial. This Mariah is black rubbish has to stop. Its insulting to actual black women who had to fight for exposure in the industry,

Mariah is biracial and she embraces all of her roots. So yes, let her be.

And the black community certainly embraced her too. 

56 minutes ago, light741 said:

I mean let's be honest. Madonna's ability to understand the market and her place in it was usually tactically on point. She knew how to work in an industry that changes so fast and easily forgets. She knew when to change to survive when things were going against her. Her ability to adapt is top level. Her transformation from Erotica era to Something To Remember and then to Ray of Light was an expert read of understanding the public's perception of her and how to rebound from that. The woman is a master of this. And it is one of the main reasons why she is such a legend and the queen of pop.

giphy.gif

Now buy TIC / Celebration to celebrate her legacy 

1 hour ago, light741 said:

I mean let's be honest. Madonna's ability to understand the market and her place in it was usually tactically on point. She knew how to work in an industry that changes so fast and easily forgets. She knew when to change to survive when things were going against her. Her ability to adapt is top level. Her transformation from Erotica era to Something To Remember and then to Ray of Light was an expert read of understanding the public's perception of her and how to rebound from that. The woman is a master of this. And it is one of the main reasons why she is such a legend and the queen of pop.

giphy.gif

Yaaas.  One thing that all prehistoric animals went through, evolution.  These young people can learn a thing or two.

7 minutes ago, Just Whitney said:

Whitney being a successful black women with awards, sales and acclaim and the OP is trying so hard to discredit that. How pathetic.

I wouldn't take that comment seriously. Winnie loves Whitney.

I‘m surprised no one is calling out the racism in the OP. 

He claims Rihanna only got where she is because she‘s ”lightskinned“.

Ummm sweetie, aren’t you stanning THIS?824.jpg

The reason Madonna and Rihanna are so high up on that list is due to the fact that they were/are popular across all ethnicities. 

Mariah‘s music panders almost exclusively to the overall taste of black audiences. 

Whitney was more pop than RnB overall and has used her crossover potential more than Mariah has.

Anyway, all of them can sing. Some of them have a bigger range, yes but they can all sing. People who can’t sing are the ones who literally stay offkey for the majority of a song and can’t hit any notes. Mariah is on her best way to go there and Madonna‘s singing ability has gotten rather weak starting at menopause but she used to be a decent singer.

Many people, me included don’t like people who do vocal acrobatics on their songs. I care about melody, lyrics and production. I think vocal actobatics and all the stuff that Mariah for example does on her songs, distracts from the melody. Her production is not very innovative or good anyway so that falls flat as well but yeah overall I just find the music she makes less pleasant than Madonna’s, Whitney’s or Rihanna’s.

14 minutes ago, Ursula said:

The reason Madonna and Rihanna are so high up on that list is due to the fact that they were/are popular across all ethnicities. 

Mariah‘s music panders almost exclusively to the overall taste of black audiences. 

Whitney was more pop than RnB overall and has used her crossover potential more than Mariah has.

Anyway, all of them can sing. Some of them have a bigger range, yes but they can all sing. People who can’t sing are the ones who literally stay offkey for the majority of a song and can’t hit any notes. Mariah is on her best way to go there and Madonna‘s singing ability has gotten rather weak starting at menopause but she used to be a decent singer.

Many people, me included don’t like people who do vocal acrobatics on their songs. I care about melody, lyrics and production. I think vocal actobatics and all the stuff that Mariah for example does on her songs, distracts from the melody. Her production is not very innovative or good anyway so that falls flat as well but yeah overall I just find the music she makes less pleasant than Madonna’s, Whitney’s or Rihanna’s.

While there are other factors that explain Rihanna's success, it is true that her being light skin definitely helped her to crack several markets around the world like Europe for example but it is not the reason why she's where she is now. This applies to Beyoncé as well though.

4 minutes ago, Michael. said:

While there are other factors that explain Rihanna's success, it is true that her being light skin definitely helped her to crack several markets around the world like Europe for example but it is not the reason why she's where she is now. This applies to Beyoncé as well though.

Then how come Mariah has never been THAT successful outside of the US? She’s the most light-skinned out of all of them.

16 minutes ago, Ursula said:

It's true that Whitney stayed pop longer than Mariah. But i'm glad she changed because although i enjoy Whitney's 80s and early 90s material. In my opinion Whitney's best work came after that. Whitney and Mariah had their biggest global eras doing more pop than R&B. But their best material in the eyes of most of their fans came when they went into a more urban and R&B sound. Madonna and Rihanna made their biggest amount of impact globally in a different front that it is not related to vocals and that is not a bad thing. Everybody has weak and strong point. Whitney and Mariah made impact as big voice divas worldwide. They are in the singing history book. But music is not just about singing. Although i wouldn't say Rihanna and Madonna have no impact in singing. They can still be an inspiration to singers even if they aren't powerful vocalists. Just like Whitney and Mariah have left a mark for more than vocals, even if singing is the main mark in their careers.

4 minutes ago, Ursula said:

Then how come Mariah has never been THAT successful outside of the US? She’s the most light-skinned out of all of them.

It depends on how you look at it. Rihanna's chart run in Europe(except for album sales) is bigger than Whitney's too. But both Whitney and Mariah have done better in Asia for example. If you have entered the top 10 of best selling women around the world, then you are anything but local.

Just now, Ursula said:

Because she doesn't have the it factor jj2 jk

Well I guess her music wasn't as mainstream and marketable as Rihanna and Beyoncé's music was, their brand was much more appealing worldwide than Mariah's.

I believe a lot of people wouldn't view them as black, I'm basing this on my personal experience. Most of the conversations I had with people about Rihanna in my daily life wouldn't acknowledge she's black, they would call her mixed/mulatto instead and they would make it clear that it wasn't the same thing to them. rip4 

8 minutes ago, Michael. said:

Because she doesn't have the it factor jj2 jk

Well I guess her music wasn't as mainstream and marketable as Rihanna and Beyoncé's music was, their brand was much more appealing worldwide than Mariah's.

I believe a lot of people wouldn't view them as black, I'm basing this on my personal experience. Most of the conversations I had with people about Rihanna in my daily life wouldn't acknowledge she's black, they would call her mixed/mulatto instead and they would make it clear that it wasn't the same thing to them. rip4 

But then how come she has sold more records than Bey WW?. I mean Mariah is a globally known name and she has globally known songs. 

1 minute ago, light741 said:

But then how come she has sold more records than Bey WW?. I mean Mariah is a globally known name and she has globally known songs. 

ddd I was just answering his question, I didn’t even check their sales.

Just now, Michael. said:

ddd I was just answering his question, I didn’t even check their sales.

I understand. But what i see is different market climates. I mean for example today we have far more singles charts. Rihanna has charted in more markets in Europe than most of the 80s and 90s act. Although Europe is one continent, not the whole world. But i think you get the point.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.