Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

TomTom

Katy Perry's lawyer tries to withhold her deposition from becoming public ahead of tomorrow's unsealing of all court documents

Tomorrow is the day when all court documents in Dr. Luke's defamation lawsuit against Kesha previously filed under seal (i.e. sworn affidavits by Kesha, Pebe, Dr. Luke, Kelly Clarkson, Adam Levine, Katy Perry, etc.) will be released. In preparation of that, Kesha, Sony and Dr. Luke already made detailed lists about which lines in which documents should still remain under seal and which not.

Now Katy Perry's lawyer filed a last-minute motion to stop Katy's deposition, which is 46 pages long, from last year to become public. Their arguments are (brief summary):

• that Katy's deposition is irrelevant to the case and did not play a noteworthy role in influencing the outcome of the case content-wise
  • that Katy is a public figure and releasing the documents could harm her career and reputation
  • that Dr. Luke's team submitted her entire deposition, which is 46 pages long, but his lawyer only used three pages of her deposition in their motions, so the most part of Katy's deposition is irrelevant and Dr. Luke is the only party who wanted Katy to be deposed.
  • and most important: that Katy was only informed yesterday by Dr. Luke that her deposition would be released, although it was his responsibility to inform her at least a week before the unsealing.

The judge now ruled that parts of Katy's deposition (not the whole thing) can remain under seal for now and her lawyer has time until August 27 to further elaborate the argument. The other documents will be released though.

I did not include any court documents from the databse here, but can do so if wanted.

Source: https://theblast.com/katy-perry-testimony-kesha-dr-luke/ + court database

Spoiler

mad5 

3 minutes ago, TomTom2288 said:
  • most part of Katy's deposition is irrelevant and Dr. Luke is the only party who wanted Katy to be deposed.
  • and most important: that Katy was only informed yesterday by Dr. Luke that her deposition would be released, although it was his responsibility to inform her at least a week before the unsealing.

solid points tho

46 pages but irrelevant? wat3 I wonder what she had to say though or what the context was in general. Somebody told Gaga and Kesha that Katy was raped too and now everyone forgets about it?! Did they just make it up? Like what?!

2 minutes ago, Kivo said:

46 pages but irrelevant? wat3 I wonder what she had to say though or what the context was in general. Somebody told Gaga and Kesha that Katy was raped too and now everyone forgets about it?! Did they just make it up? Like what?!

the article did say Luke only used 3 pages wat3 

8 minutes ago, Kenya said:

I wonder why?

i haven’t kept up with what role Katy plays in all of this

pretty minimal iirc.

16 minutes ago, Dangerous Jim said:

omg but i wanna read it fall1 

The judge ruled that "portions" of the deposition can remain under seal, not everything. Kesha, Dr. Luke and Sony all had to identify concrete lines in their depositions that should remain under seal for certain reasons, so I think that's what Katy's lawyer is supposed to do as well.

10 minutes ago, Kenya said:

I wonder why?

i haven’t kept up with what role Katy plays in all of this

Katy was deposed on July 31, 2017 on behalf of Dr. Luke. Dr. Luke most likely wanted Katy to deliver incriminating remarks about Kesha, but considering that he only used three pages of her 46 pages deposition in his motions and Katy's lawyer himself claimed that her deposition is "irrelevant", it looks like his attempt to bring Kesha down backfired and Katy did not deliver the expected outcome.

5 minutes ago, Kivo said:

Kesha told Gaga iirc but Katy denied that claim I think 

1 minute ago, Chris Morlock said:

the article did say Luke only used 3 pages wat3 

pretty minimal iirc.

If Dr.Luke's lawyers used those 3 pages that obviously means those pages support him + potentially are against Kesha. Also why can Luke's lawyer use those pages but Kesha's lawyer can't? Surely other peoples opinion of him can support her words, not just his? 

3 minutes ago, TomTom2288 said:

Katy was deposed on July 31, 2017 on behalf of Dr. Luke. Dr. Luke most likely wanted Katy to deliver incriminating remarks about Kesha, but considering that he only used three pages of her 46 pages deposition in his motions and Katy's lawyer himself claimed that her deposition is "irrelevant", it looks like his attempt to bring Kesha down backfired and Katy did not deliver the expected outcome.

Ah okay thanks! 

Just now, Kenya said:

Kesha said someone told her and Gaga at the same time. Some guy from Sony or something, but apparently that guy claimed he didn't say anything or he remained quiet. 

1 minute ago, Kivo said:

If Dr.Luke's lawyers used those 3 pages that obviously means those pages support him + potentially are against Kesha. Also why can Luke's lawyer use those pages but Kesha's lawyer can't? Surely other peoples opinion of him can support her words, not just his? 

Yes, POTENTIALLY. But the other 43 pages are not, which means that 95% of her deposition are not useful for him. Kesha's lawyers don't refer to Katy's deposition because they didn't even want Katy to be deposed. It was Dr. Luke's and solely Dr. Luke's wish that Katy should be deposed. It has no meaning for Kesha.

3 minutes ago, Kenya said:

Katy didn't deny anything in public. Just Dr. Luke claimed that she apparently did, she never confirmed that herself or her lawyers.

1 minute ago, TomTom2288 said:

Yes, POTENTIALLY. But the other 43 pages are not, which means that 95% of her deposition are not useful for him. Kesha's lawyers don't refer to Katy's deposition because they didn't even want Katy to be deposed. It was Dr. Luke's and solely Dr. Luke's wish that Katy should be deposed. It has no meaning for Kesha.

Doesn't the judge have to go through all the 43 pages anyway? Surely if they only go forward with the 3 pages that will all work in Luke's favour but 95% of the rest may actually be against him. This is so messy and confusing wat3

Maybe it's Katy saying Dr Luke was always professional with her and that she had no knowledge of anyhting going on.

Which could be twisted into Katy being a rape apologist or a turning a blind eye if she did indeed know.

I'm only speculating but the deposition might be so long because these things are extenuating and you get asked the same questions over and over so that they can catch you lying and thus discredit your testimony.

2 minutes ago, Kivo said:

Doesn't the judge have to go through all the 43 pages anyway? Surely if they only go forward with the 3 pages that will all work in Luke's favour but 95% of the rest may actually be against him. This is so messy and confusing wat3

The judge only decides the motions that Kesha and Dr. Luke submit with the evidence that is being used in those motions.

1 minute ago, Kivo said:

This mess will never stop but Luke is surely aging quickly because of it kesha5oprah14ny4

The mess will stop soon because the case is coming to an end.

4 minutes ago, Lord Stoneheart said:

Maybe it's Katy saying Dr Luke was always professional with her and that she had no knowledge of anyhting going on.

Which could be twisted into Katy being a rape apologist or a turning a blind eye if she did indeed know.

I'm only speculating but the deposition might be so long because these things are extenuating and you get asked the same questions over and over so that they can catch you lying and thus discredit your testimony.

Fair points tbf 

2 minutes ago, TomTom2288 said:

The judge only decides the motions that Kesha and Dr. Luke submit with the evidence that is being used in those motions.

The mess will stop soon because the case is coming to an end.

Oh dear brit8

I have a feeling another case will follow up someday dead2

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.