Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Kirjava

DAZED crowns Xtina the queen of NYFW

1248366.jpg

All hail Christina Aguilera, the newly crowned Queen of NYFW

Bow down bitches

11th September 2018

We’re still two days away from the end of New York Fashion Week, but, less than a week in, we’ve already crowned our queen of SS19. Step forward Ms. Christina Aguilera, who’s been making her way from show to party to stage in what can only be described as some serious lewks.

The 00s pop icon, who burst onto the scene with “Genie in a Bottle” way back in 1999(!) has undergone countless style transformations in the last two decades – who could forget the too-filthy-to-clean-her-act-up, bikini and chap-wearing Dirrty girl, the corseted Parisian courtesan, or the all-American pin-up girl of the “Candyman” era? – but it’s her most recent incarnation that we’re living for.

It all started earlier this year when she appeared on the cover of new album Liberation as we've never seen her before: stripped back, and wearing minimal make-up (styled by Dazed’s Emma Wyman and photographed by Lea Colombo). Since then, she’s been spotted out and about in fresh-off-the-runway Vetements, Margiela, Gareth Pugh, Luar, and Off-White – presumably picking up cartons of milk or dropping by the Post Office, and you know, just casual stuff like that.

It was this weekend that we really sat up and took notice though, as Aguilera (and her stylist, Dazed contributor Karen Clarkson) cranked things up considerably. From showstopping Vivienne Westwood gowns and XXXL leather overcoats, to avant-garde looks from underground British designers, and, of course, the now ubiquitous tiny shades, not since the great Celine Dion style renaissance of 2017 have we been so excited to see someone’s outfits unfold before our eyes – and so, with that in mind, we’ve rounded up her best looks so far. Will she be making her way across the Atlantic and showing up at LFW, though? Watch this space. 

NON-DIRRTY WHITE FEATHERS

While things might have gone awry at the Harper’s Bazaar Icons party – s/o to you, Cardi B and Nicki Minaj, and a rogue Elie Saab platform heel – Christina Aguilera was busy looking heavenly in an angelic, feathered gown by Vivienne Westwood and some pretty directional (see: understatement) heels from Y/Project. Fans noted on social media that it isn’t the first time she’s appeared in feathers, though, as they likened her Westwood dress to a pink Roberto Cavalli mini she wore to the VMAs back in 2003. Fortunately her fake tanning days seem to be firmly behind her – a decision her dry cleaner is surely thankful for.

THE EVOLUTION OF THE CHAP

Later in the evening at the Harper’s Bazaar party, Xtina swapped her Westwood extravaganza for a pinstriped suit with bondage-style straps before taking to the stage to perform “Lady Marmalade” and other absolute bangers. The designer behind the look? London-based Dazed 100 alum and purveyor of ‘Satanic orgies’ Dilara Findikoglu. If the feathers were angelic, this look was the complete opposite – proving that, though her bikini and chaps days might be behind her, she still loves herself the odd pair of statement trousers.

MOULIN ROUGE MEETS THE MATRIX

Not only is Aguilera repping for young, emerging designers, she’s also shining a light on fresh-out-of-fashion-school ones too. Take, for example, this wipe clean, vinyl corset trench by recent Swedish School of Textiles graduate Alice Jardesten. It’s The Matrix, meets Moulin Rouge, meets Batman and we are one hundred percent here for it.

XXXTREME POWER SHOULDERS

Over the course of the last six months, Christina has proved herself an bonafide advocate for a strong shoulder: take, for example, the Gareth Pugh coat she wore in the “Fall in Line” video earlier this year, and the oversized Vetements trench she’s been spotted wearing recently. Continuing the theme at former VFiles designer Christian Cowan’s show on Saturday, she opted for an absolute unit of a red leather biker-jacket-slash-trench and matching skirt by Korean designer Kaimin worn over a ripped t-shirt from Art School’s SS19 ‘High Concept Character’ collection. Not only a great style choice, but a clever FROW move too – what better way to bag yourself a few extra inches on the bench than to throw on some severe-looking XXL shoulder pads? Exactly.

XTINA STANS XTINA

XXL oversized black coat? Check. Tiny, 90s-style sunglasses? Check. Incredible (if slightly challenging) Y/Project stilettos? Check. Tongue-in-cheek tote back referencing one of the most iconic pop songs ever recorded – that you sang? Check, check, CHECK. Created by Henry Holland as an homage to Xtina, the London-based designer unsurprisingly  announced himself ‘deceased’ on Instagram after she was spotted carrying it on Sunday. Same, Henry. Same.

QUEEN. OF. EVERYTHING

And just like that, it’s all over. Xtina brought her NYFW residency to a close yesterday in yet another Kaimin dress – this time made of skin-tight mesh with heart-shaped nipple covers, so basically just something casual, you know? Over the top was another piece from a recent graduate, this time in the form of Middlesex university alum Connor Baxter. The oversized, padded satin coat also featured an all-over heart motif, leading Baxter to pronounce Aguilera the ‘queen of hearts’. Queen of hearts. Queen of pop. And now, Queen of high-fashion. All hail Xtina – Queen of fucking everything.

http://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion/article/41298/1/christina-aguilera-xtina-nyfw-fashion-week-opening-ceremony-performance-ss19

1 hour ago, Aleco said:

wow i think im the only one who HATES the new looks... we cant even look her body only her nipples with some kind of tape... i really miss b2b/KGB/Bionic and some of the voice looks.

This is it! kylie9

I honestly don't "feel" the new looks - how does that "edgy style" suit her or her music? 

On 9/11/2018 at 2:53 PM, Madhater said:

I can't at Xtina being critically acclaimed everywhere, looks-wise and performance-wise, yet still being nitpicked by many of her so called "stans" in here. eve1

In my opinion most of her outfits were not good because these oversize jackets make her look like she's 3 times bigger than she really ismj1  "Moulin rouge meets the matrix" & "non-dirrty white feathers"'re the only outfits I like jj2 

Her performaces were also not good-she was out of breath and couldn't hit the notes which caused scream and cracked notes jj4   I don't make  it up,it's the truth. It's hard to find a good performace in the liberation eradead2  there's always sth wrong...she used to have flawless performances,now every one of them includes screaming etc. katy6

3 hours ago, BackToBasics said:

In my opinion most of her outfits were not good because these oversize jackets make her look like she's 3 times bigger than she really ismj1  "Moulin rouge meets the matrix" & "non-dirrty white feathers"'re the only outfits I like jj2 

Her performaces were also not good-she was out of breath and couldn't hit the notes which caused scream and cracked notes jj4   I don't make  it up,it's the truth. It's hard to find a good performace in the liberation eradead2  there's always sth wrong...she used to have flawless performances,now every one of them includes screaming etc. katy6

Vocally imho the first performances (Carpool, BBMA) were good, but both lacked that special WOW-Effect and are not legendary, you're right :-(

But considering her latest hoarse, cracking vocals: Don't forget our girl is kicking of her first tour in a decade in exactly two weeks .... I really can't imagine how - in no way  carla1

7 hours ago, BackToBasics said:

You make it seem like she absolutely cannot sing anymore. Point me something wrong with this performance, for example:

(If you're gonna say her higher notes are "screamed", then don't even bother..)

Also, tell me when was she "out of breath", when did she crack or failed to hit a D5 in this performance:

11 hours ago, Anita said:

Vocally imho the first performances (Carpool, BBMA) were good, but both lacked that special WOW-Effect and are not legendary, you're right :-(

But considering her latest hoarse, cracking vocals: Don't forget our girl is kicking of her first tour in a decade in exactly two weeks .... I really can't imagine how - in no way  carla1

Carpool was great but BBMAs... not really jj3  Performances at the festival,HPIP& with the drag queens were tragic.There wasn't a song during which she didn't scream/there were no cracked notes...

I'm wondering if it's good for her to go on tour...her voice's not i a good shape and tour might cause voal chords damages or sth jj4   Whenever I think of Christina on tour I see Adele cancelling her 2 shows at Wembley because of damaged voice...

7 hours ago, Madhater said:

You make it seem like she absolutely cannot sing anymore. Point me something wrong with this performance, for example:

(If you're gonna say her higher notes are "screamed", then don't even bother..)

Also, tell me when was she "out of breath", when did she crack or failed to hit a D5 in this performance:

It's not like she can't sing anymore..it's just 99% of her performances in recent years involved screaming&cracked notes. AL was pretty good and during LM she was kinda talking (there was some singing ofc),walking on stage and waving a fan. She was barely dancing even though ANOM,Dirrty,LM etc choregraphy hasn't changed for years. Her voice used to sound fresh&energetic but it's changed. It ounds like this rarely....

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.