Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Ruthless Love

Henry Cavill to No Longer Play Superman in DC Extended Universe

I would be surprised if this is true, given that he is signed for one more movie. Of course, studio/actor relationships can break down, but I didn't anticipate he'd leave just yet.

It would be a shame if it's true, given that he was one of the only things I liked about Man of Steel. The guy's pretty much born to play Superman, really, even if the movies he's been in haven't always utilized him too well.

DC is trash all the actors are catching up and the whole schtick about sticking to female driven movie is because wonder woman (which was not that good tbh) was successful anyways just reboot the series properly or else leave it alone the fact is that it will never be good or as succesful as marvel the way they're going now 

47 minutes ago, BJORK said:

Superman is a shitty one dimensional character. He should stick to yaoi, he don’t belong on the big screen. 

Smart choice Henry 

I disagree. He perhaps hasn't had one of the best depictions in the recent DC films (with Man of Steel getting him totally wrong, Batman v Superman doing better and also reconciling some of the poor choices in MoS and Justice League not giving him a ton of screentime but making an effort to do him closer to how they think the fans want him, but making him a bit thin ultimately), but he's still one of my favorite comic book characters. This sequence does a great job portraying his best qualities:

t9foJwI.jpg

agPdrW9.jpg

NS0ZEhu.jpg

v8RgTR8.jpg

JBR8Bxh.jpg

cjDDVv1.jpg

BMlwVrA.jpg

31 minutes ago, Sylk said:

DC is trash all the actors are catching up and the whole schtick about sticking to female driven movie is because wonder woman (which was not that good tbh) was successful anyways just reboot the series properly or else leave it alone the fact is that it will never be good or as succesful as marvel the way they're going now 

I don't think they need to outright reboot it (but with that said the Flash movie is or at least was to be a Flashpoint adaptation, which would allow them to do a soft reboot ala J.J. Abrams' Star Trek/Days of Future Past), I just think they need to gain a little more focus and stop having every film feel overly based on fan reaction to the previous one or an aping of some other successful superhero film, i.e. Batman v Superman had to deal with the destruction of Metropolis, Suicide Squad was pretty clearly influenced by Guardians of the Galaxy with its ragtag band of C-list characters and a pop soundtrack, Justice League is them thinking the films need to "lighten up" and thus get Joss Whedon to give Batman lines that make him sound like Sterling Archer...

Marvel's films are certainly better than DC, but I think people somewhat forget about the first lineup of Marvel movies - of the first "phase", as they call it, I think Iron Man is the only really good one. The Incredible Hulk is outright bad but mostly forgotten due to them switching the lead actor and Iron Man 2, Thor and Cap 1 all spend far too much time setting up The Avengers although the latter two are still okay movies. Later on Marvel got way better at threading in setup for their Avengers films in the single superhero films without making it at the expense of having them feel like they could stand alone without any upcoming Avengers flick.

I agree that the female character/director announcements come from the same "well, it worked last time" line of thinking, but I think there's some good films to be mined from DC's wealth of female characters. I'm not too confident in Gotham City Sirens but I believe Batgirl has potential, and there are some ensembles like Justice League Dark which would feature Zatanna in a lead role. Supergirl will likely not get made for a while if at all due to DC demonstrating in the past that they feel the audience is too dumb to understand that the CW shows and the movies aren't connected. Legion of Superheroes also has some good ones like Saturn Girl, and they could stick Supergirl in that too actually.

I hope not, I'd love to see him play a properly written Superman. DC/WB is a mess they try to catch up with Marvel/Disney instead of taking the time to deliver quality. They're paying the price now.

Hope WW84 snatches though with all the pics of Chris Pine shooting I'm starting to get weary jj3

30 minutes ago, Not Dennis Reynolds said:

I don't think they need to outright reboot it (but with that said the Flash movie is or at least was to be a Flashpoint adaptation, which would allow them to do a soft reboot ala J.J. Abrams' Star Trek/Days of Future Past), I just think they need to gain a little more focus and stop having every film feel overly based on fan reaction to the previous one or an aping of some other successful superhero film, i.e. Batman v Superman had to deal with the destruction of Metropolis, Suicide Squad was pretty clearly influenced by Guardians of the Galaxy with its ragtag band of C-list characters and a pop soundtrack, Justice League is them thinking the films need to "lighten up" and thus get Joss Whedon to give Batman lines that make him sound like Sterling Archer...

Marvel's films are certainly better than DC, but I think people somewhat forget about the first lineup of Marvel movies - of the first "phase", as they call it, I think Iron Man is the only really good one. The Incredible Hulk is outright bad but mostly forgotten due to them switching the lead actor and Iron Man 2, Thor and Cap 1 all spend far too much time setting up The Avengers although the latter two are still okay movies. Later on Marvel got way better at threading in setup for their Avengers films in the single superhero films without making it at the expense of having them feel like they could stand alone without any upcoming Avengers flick.

I agree that the female character/director announcements come from the same "well, it worked last time" line of thinking, but I think there's some good films to be mined from DC's wealth of female characters. I'm not too confident in Gotham City Sirens but I believe Batgirl has potential, and there are some ensembles like Justice League Dark which would feature Zatanna in a lead role. Supergirl will likely not get made for a while if at all due to DC demonstrating in the past that they feel the audience is too dumb to understand that the CW shows and the movies aren't connected. Legion of Superheroes also has some good ones like Saturn Girl, and they could stick Supergirl in that too actually.

Okay tea a soft reboot and a major reshuffling of the writing/production staff can atleast patch some things up, but ultimately i think since some of the main characters like Batman and Superman are already in too deep with the plot, it's impossible to save this series without a complete reboot. Maybe in the future?

And yes I agree, Marvel movies were excellently planned out where as DC put out movies like Justice League way too early without establish the major characters/villains first. 

I haven't heard of them doing Batgirl but I think that could work, another way they could save the series is by going in the vein of a second generation of DC heroes like a possible Teen Titans movie? (Sksks I don't really know much about DC to name any) But what they have now is just a total lost cause to me...

5 minutes ago, Divine said:

catch these hands in nhb RAT

I SAID WHAT I SAID scream2 Chris Pine naked saved it oprah14 jk it was too long, pacing issues, not that great of a script.... the entire first female superhero narrative saved it tbh strictly from a movie perspective it wasn't that good ari2 

45 minutes ago, Sylk said:

I SAID WHAT I SAID scream2 Chris Pine naked saved it oprah14 jk it was too long, pacing issues, not that great of a script.... the entire first female superhero narrative saved it tbh strictly from a movie perspective it wasn't that good ari2

Fair points yes! The movie definitely had a few low points, but I feel it’s soaring high points more than made up for it! The no mans land scene, the final battle, whew shit yas1 

27 minutes ago, Divine said:

Fair points yes! The movie definitely had a few low points, but I feel it’s soaring high points more than made up for it! The no mans land scene, the final battle, whew shit yas1 

Okay tea it still enjoyable to watch and the final battle and the ares transformation wig flew to amazon omg 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.