Dennis Reynolds

Disney CEO admits to Star Wars oversaturation, says they'll slow down

In a new interview, Disney CEO Bob Iger admits that they made a mistake trying to put out so much Star Wars material in such a short amount of time, and he takes full responsibility. The overload started with Rogue One at the end of 2016 but reached its peak with the release of Solo: A Star Wars Story in May of this year. The spin-off hit theaters less than six months after Rian Johnson's highly divisive The Last Jedi. Solowas doomed at the box office from the start because Star Wars fatigue had already set in.

J.J. Abrams is currently in the middle of making Star Wars 9 and a slowdown for the mammoth franchise had already been previously reported back when it was revealed that the spin-off films in development had been put on hold. Obi-Wan Kenobi and Boba Fett movies were ramping up to start production, but the box office failure of Soloput a damper on those plans. Star Wars fans were already weary of Lucasfilm and Disney's partnership cranking out one movie a year, which the studios now recognize was a mistake. Bob Iger had this to say.

"I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made, I take the blame, was a little too much, too fast. You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn't mean we're not gonna make films. J.J. (Abrams) is busy making (Episode) IX. We have creative entities, including (Game of Thrones creators David) Benioff and (D.B.) Weiss, who are developing Star Wars sagas of their own, which we haven't been specific about. And we are just at the point where we're gonna start making decisions about what comes next after J.J.'s. But I think we're gonna be a little bit more careful about volume and timing. And the buck stops here on that."

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-movie-release-backlash-bob-iger/

People who bitch about TLJ need to build a fucking bridge and get over it.

Anyway, I won’t disagree that it’s getting a little watered down - but SW fans have consistently bitched about just about every single piece of franchise media, expect for maybe the Empire Strikes Back for the last 40 years. 

They shouldn’t read too much into it.