Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Shego

What is Madonna's signature song?

To the general public, probably either Like A Virgin or Material Girl, which is sad because although they are legendary bops she has dozens of better songs.  I only listen to the uhmazing tour versions of those, though (Confessions Tour version LAV is the only reason I started to like that song to begin with; and the RHT version of Material Girl literally gave it new life).

To 80s-focused fans, it's probably Like A Prayer.

To 90s fans, it's probably Vogue.

To 00s fans, Hung Up.

If I had to pick just one that most people would pick across all those groups, though, my guess would be Vogue.  It's a disarmingly simple pop song that is impeccably constructed:  the practically orgasmic closing section and the endlessly referenced Vogue rap, not to mention the video and the choreography, set this one apart.  I couldn't stand it for years (I started listening in '98 and didn't get into her older catalogue for a while) but now it lowkey represents many of the things I love about Madonna.  It's a total package song, fully invested in many of her classic lyrical themes, is musically audacious, and is one of the most singalong-worthy bops of her career.

The real answer to the question, however, is that M doesn't have just one.  She has a catalogue of signature songs.

I never think of Like A Prayer tbh. To me it's either Vogue, Material Girl or Hung Up. But like Hung Up is definitely just because I'm only 18. And like to be completely truthful first time I heard Material Girl was when Hilary Duff covered it like a billion years ago as a kid ari9. So I guess I'd say Vogue

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.