Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

"Die Young" hits 200 million streams on Spotify

Recommended Posts

TomTom    7,152

Her third song to do so as a solo artist, after TiK ToK and Praying clap3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dan    12,902

Deserves a billion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TomTom    7,152
9 minutes ago, Okan said:

Her bet bop demi1 

I was waiting for this reply from you in this thread demi1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NuJ4X    116

That's pretty beast honestly...but according to the screwy math of the RIAA, that's only about 133,000 copies sold. So not even gold :( can you wrap your head around that? 200 million people listen to your song, and its not certified 200x platinum. But, if 200 million people PURCHASED your single, it would be 200x platinum. I don't get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TomTom    7,152
5 minutes ago, NuJ4X said:

That's pretty beast honestly...but according to the screwy math of the RIAA, that's only about 133,000 copies sold. So not even gold :( can you wrap your head around that? 200 million people listen to your song, and its not certified 200x platinum. But, if 200 million people PURCHASED your single, it would be 200x platinum. I don't get it.

I think you made a little mistake here, 150 streams count for one unit of a song. So, 200.000.000 million streams / 150 would be 1.3 million units, not 133.000. In reality, only US streams count for US certifications, so those would have to be separated from the others and subtracted from the result ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NuJ4X    116
8 minutes ago, TomTom said:

I think you made a little mistake here, 150 streams count for one unit of a song. So, 200.000.000 million streams / 150 would be 1.3 million units, not 133.000. In reality, only US streams count for US certifications, so those would have to be separated from the others and subtracted from the result ;)

Oh yeah? Hm....thanks for correcting me on that. I Googled about that and all I could find was RIAA math on a full album. Nothing on a straight single. If that's so, 150 streams count for one unit, then she's got a platinum single on her hands and that sounds about more like what she deserves! Thanks for having my back on that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TomTom    7,152
1 minute ago, NuJ4X said:

Oh yeah? Hm....thanks for correcting me on that. I Googled about that and all I could find was RIAA math on a full album. Nothing on a straight single. If that's so, 150 streams count for one unit, then she's got a platinum single on her hands and that sounds about more like what she deserves! Thanks for having my back on that!

That is correct for an album. But album stream certification criteria are different from single stream certification criteria. If the 150 rule would apply to albums, album certifications would be pretty inflated (which they arguably already are) and if the 1500 rule would apply to singles, it would be pretty hard to get single certifications (as you mentioned above). So, 1500 is for albums and 150 for singles.

 

Die Young sold three million digital copies in the US, but is not certified like many of her singles because her certifications haven't been updated since approximately 2011. If that would be the case, Die Young would likely be 4x Platinum by now (including streams).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TomTom    7,152
1 minute ago, NuJ4X said:

Oh yeah? Hm....thanks for correcting me on that. I Googled about that and all I could find was RIAA math on a full album. Nothing on a straight single. If that's so, 150 streams count for one unit, then she's got a platinum single on her hands and that sounds about more like what she deserves! Thanks for having my back on that!

That is correct for an album. But album stream certification criteria are different from single stream certification criteria. If the 150 rule would apply to albums, album certifications would be pretty inflated (which they arguably already are) and if the 1500 rule would apply to singles, it would be pretty hard to get single certifications (as you mentioned above). So, 1500 is for albums and 150 for singles.

 

Die Young sold three million digital copies in the US, but is not certified like many of her singles because her certifications haven't been updated since approximately 2011. If that would be the case, Die Young would likely be 4x Platinum by now (including streams).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NuJ4X    116
1 minute ago, TomTom said:

That is correct for an album. But album stream certification criteria are different from single stream certification criteria. If the 150 rule would apply to albums, album certifications would be pretty inflated (which they arguably already are) and if the 1500 rule would apply to singles, it would be pretty hard to get single certifications (as you mentioned above). So, 1500 is for albums and 150 for singles.

 

Die Young sold three million digital copies in the US, but is not certified like many of her singles because her certifications haven't been updated since approximately 2011. If that would be the case, Die Young would likely be 4x Platinum by now (including streams).

4x platinum? That's hella dope. That song was amazing and Kesha as an artist is pretty amazing herself. I can only dream that one day I get ANYTHING certified platinum lol I'd die from happiness haha

But for real though...thanks for teaching me that lesson. I could't find it...my Google Fu is off today I guess lol but that'll help me a ton going forward so thank you and respect <3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TomTom    7,152
Just now, NuJ4X said:

4x platinum? That's hella dope. That song was amazing and Kesha as an artist is pretty amazing herself. I can only dream that one day I get ANYTHING certified platinum lol I'd die from happiness haha

 

It's the same for her other singles too. We R Who We R sold over four million digital copies and is not certified. Blow and Your Love Is My Drug sold over three million copies and are not and under-certified respectively. Take It Off sold over 2.5 million copies and is just certified Platinum (and that is all without streams). The most likely explanation for that is that Sony/RCA do not want to reward Dr. Luke by updating her old certifications, since they immediately requested all of Praying's certifications and the one for Rainbow, but not for her other songs.

5 minutes ago, NuJ4X said:

 But for real though...thanks for teaching me that lesson. I could't find it...my Google Fu is off today I guess lol but that'll help me a ton going forward so thank you and respect <3

No problem hug1

Here is the link for both: https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/certification-criteria/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TomTom    7,152
19 minutes ago, Chris Morlock said:

how many of her songs has hit 200m streams this far? kesha8 

See OP (+Timber)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TomTom    7,152
4 minutes ago, Recycled stardust said:

Dumb question: a stream is the first time a single user listen to the song or everytime any user listen to the song?

Everytime! But there are different regulations regarding what exactly counts as a stream. In some countries, only premium Spotify streams count for certifications and not free streams, sometimes they have to have a certain minimal length (30 seconds, for example), etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Browsing now   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×