Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

hector

I have a serious question..

So, after seeing Cher's new album "Dancing Queen" doing good for her on Billboard, I went to her wiki page because I saw Billboard saying that #3 was the highest Cher has gone on the 200.. 26 studio albums and no #1 and 98% of them flopped for filth on sales. So my question is, why is Cher named 'Goddess of Pop' when she doesn't even have a big era (besides of "Believe" back in the 90s")? I'm legit asking, no shade or anything to Cher. Is it because of her long career? I don't think her winning an Oscar counts since it isn't music related..

4 minutes ago, Hector said:

So, after seeing Cher's new album "Dancing Queen" doing good for her on Billboard, I went to her wiki page because I saw Billboard saying that #3 was the highest Cher has gone on the 200.. 26 studio albums and no #1 and 98% of them flopped for filth on sales. So my question is, why is Cher named 'Goddess of Pop' when she doesn't even have a big era (besides of "Believe" back in the 90s")? I'm legit asking, no shade or anything to Cher. Is it because of her long career? I don't think her winning an Oscar counts since it isn't music related..

Her music probably charts better in other countries than the U.S.

Just now, Bliss said:

Her music probably charts better in other countries than the U.S.

But that's the thing, I also saw her charts on the ones that Wikipedia provided and most of them didn't even chart in more than one place and some didn't even chart in the US and her singles didn't do that well either

I don't think albums were as successful back then then they are now for certain artists. She had several successful eras in her career (beginning, late 80s, and late 90s) but it was mostly due to single success, rather than albums. Cher stayed successful mostly through TV shows like the Sonny and Cher show and her own show. Then her film career, and successful music moments here and there. Too be honest, she was never a super successful solo artist, she was more of a variety show. She's an entertainment icon, but I do think calling her the "Goddess of Pop" doesn't really fit. At least not how we view pop artists and music nowadays.

Speaking of her new album, I would say ABBA are the Gods/Goddesses of Pop rather than Cher. 

The problem is that you can't really hold her to the same standards that you'd hold a modern pop act to. The music industry wasn't really established in the way we conceive of it now, when she started her career. Her early successes with Sonny & Cher came at the right moment in the zeitgeist and she was really one of the defining female figures of the mid '60s in terms of fashion and contribution to the rumblings that eventually led to the Summer of Love.

When the late '60s counterculture movements left her and Sonny by the wayside, she pulled off one of the first successful reinventions by a female artist, turning away from the hippie folk-rock image she'd cultivated early on to a more sophisticated, glamorous one. This was pretty much unprecedented at the time. She had three insanely big hits in the early seventies (the number one singles "Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves", "Half-Breed" and "Dark Lady") and kept herself in the public consciousness on TV with "The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour" variety show, which was a huge success. After divorcing Sonny, she ran into kind of a fall in popularity from the late '70s to the early '80s, even though she was still putting out music pretty regularly. She had one Top 10 single, "Take Me Home" in 1979, but other than that, her singles weren't taking the charts by storm. A lot of people thought her career was basically over.

This all changed when she began to take on acting in major film roles during the early '80s. She had toyed with acting a few times in the late '60s, but this was the first time she was taking on serious dramatic roles and gaining major acclaim for them. Her personal life was a bit of a wreck at this point and that led to a lot of tabloids keeping her name in the news. She paused her music career while taking on these acting roles. In 1987, she won the Academy Award for Best Actress. That same year, she made her musical comeback with a self-titled album and got her first Top 10 single in almost a decade. Continuing on this momentum, she released another album in 1989, which had all three of its singles hit the Top 10.

During the early '90s, she contracted chronic fatigue syndrome and had to put a halt to her hectic lifestyle. She began to star in infomercials, as she was no longer physically capable of doing many of the things that had earned her money in the past, like acting and touring. Again, people started to count her out and called it the end of her career. After a few years, she got her physical health a little more in check and was able to record music more regularly and act again. In 1998, she was thrust into the headlines again when her ex-husband Sonny Bono died in a skiing accident. Weirdly, this brought her back into the public consciousness and allowed her to strike with an album that was a huge departure from her previous works: Believe. Notably, the title track is one of the first hit songs to use autotune. Obviously, this was a runaway smash success and gave her a fourth #1 single, a full 24 years since the previous one.

So in summary, Cher is notable because she's been around literally forever and has had more comebacks after "career-ending" incidents than almost any other star in history.

As i continuously say.... moo12

When all of us are gone Cher will still be relevant.... In 3018 she'll still be relevant. mad12

Our ageing faves just can't relate. nicki5

Cher was one of the first, if not outright the first, woman to ever resemble a modern pop star in the United States. 

Before her, for the most part, they all looked like Doris Day, wore poodle-skirts and sang doo-whoop. 

To make a long story short, the foundation of her legacy is found more in her career in the 1960s and 70s and you have to have an understanding of it in that time period to get it. 

As many have pointed out in this thread, Cher debuted around the time where the music industry was far different to what we see it now. A lot of artists would churn out multiple albums and singles which would mostly fail to chart or outright flop for filth. Getting a #1 was far more difficult to get back in the 60s-70s, then it is now. Cher isn't the only one who manged to chart extremely high so late into their career. Dolly Parton didn't get a #1 until 2014 and she's been releasing around the same time as Cher.

2 hours ago, I Brings That Levity said:

When all of us are gone Cher will still be relevant.... In 3018 she'll still be relevant. mad12

That time, Bionic will be #1 at the Hot 100 for 4 consecutive months giveup1

2 hours ago, I Brings That Levity said:

As i continuously say.... moo12

When all of us are gone Cher will still be relevant.... In 3018 she'll still be relevantmad12

Our ageing faves just can't relate. nicki5

And still be around, probably nicki5 She'll be like one of those floating heads from Futurama. 

4 hours ago, Americunt said:

The problem is that you can't really hold her to the same standards that you'd hold a modern pop act to. The music industry wasn't really established in the way we conceive of it now, when she started her career. Her early successes with Sonny & Cher came at the right moment in the zeitgeist and she was really one of the defining female figures of the mid '60s in terms of fashion and contribution to the rumblings that eventually led to the Summer of Love.

When the late '60s counterculture movements left her and Sonny by the wayside, she pulled off one of the first successful reinventions by a female artist, turning away from the hippie folk-rock image she'd cultivated early on to a more sophisticated, glamorous one. This was pretty much unprecedented at the time. She had three insanely big hits in the early seventies (the number one singles "Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves", "Half-Breed" and "Dark Lady") and kept herself in the public consciousness on TV with "The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour" variety show, which was a huge success. After divorcing Sonny, she ran into kind of a fall in popularity from the late '70s to the early '80s, even though she was still putting out music pretty regularly. She had one Top 10 single, "Take Me Home" in 1979, but other than that, her singles weren't taking the charts by storm. A lot of people thought her career was basically over.

This all changed when she began to take on acting in major film roles during the early '80s. She had toyed with acting a few times in the late '60s, but this was the first time she was taking on serious dramatic roles and gaining major acclaim for them. Her personal life was a bit of a wreck at this point and that led to a lot of tabloids keeping her name in the news. She paused her music career while taking on these acting roles. In 1987, she won the Academy Award for Best Actress. That same year, she made her musical comeback with a self-titled album and got her first Top 10 single in almost a decade. Continuing on this momentum, she released another album in 1989, which had all three of its singles hit the Top 10.

During the early '90s, she contracted chronic fatigue syndrome and had to put a halt to her hectic lifestyle. She began to star in infomercials, as she was no longer physically capable of doing many of the things that had earned her money in the past, like acting and touring. Again, people started to count her out and called it the end of her career. After a few years, she got her physical health a little more in check and was able to record music more regularly and act again. In 1998, she was thrust into the headlines again when her ex-husband Sonny Bono died in a skiing accident. Weirdly, this brought her back into the public consciousness and allowed her to strike with an album that was a huge departure from her previous works: Believe. Notably, the title track is one of the first hit songs to use autotune. Obviously, this was a runaway smash success and gave her a fourth #1 single, a full 24 years since the previous one.

So in summary, Cher is notable because she's been around literally forever and has had more comebacks after "career-ending" incidents than almost any other star in history.

/thread

3 hours ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

And still be around, probably nicki5 She'll be like one of those floating heads from Futurama. 

A theory! 

I think living for #infinity runs in her family, her mother is still around too. 

Her albums flopped ue to the state of the industry back then. But Cher, Diana Ross and Barbra are the premier pop divas of the rock and roll era. She set the template that every female pop star has followed for nearly six decades and has endured fame and recognition and career revivals over and over and over again just cementing her legendary status. She became the Madonna before Madonna; the mother of the legends. She may not have had the healthiest streak in the 70s and 90s but she has consistently risen from the ashes. 

5 hours ago, Electric Light said:

That time, Bionic will be #1 at the Hot 100 for 4 consecutive months giveup1

Truly ahead of its time clap3humanoids in 1000 years will serve justice at last clap3

Cher has as many hits as your typical pop star. The only difference is she had a few in 3 different decades, whereas most pop stars get their major hits only in their first 5-10 years. She’s a legend because of her longevity and overall brand as an entertainer and live performer. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.