Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Chris

Kesha Pens Essay Supporting March for Our Lives

Kesha has penned an essay arguing for common sense gun laws ahead of this coming Election Day, with the singer also announcing that she has aligned with March for Our Lives in the fight to curb gun violence in schools.

“It’s sad to me that many politicians, pundits, and everyday Americans dismiss gun violence, not just mass shootings in schools, as just another part of the culture in our country. I wish it wasn’t. It doesn’t have to be,” Kesha wrote in the essay, published Friday by Teen Vogue.

Kesha added, “United, our voices are more powerful, and now we want to ask you to be part of this movement with us. Together if our voices are loud enough, and our determination is unwavering, I know we can make changes. Let’s join together and forever change gun laws in America.”

Kesha, a Tennessee native, noted that she does “not oppose the second amendment. “I do not hunt, personally, but I know people who do, and I respect that there are many very reasonable circumstances for gun ownership,” the singer wrote.

“But the military grade guns and firearm accessories used in so many shootings are not made for hunting or non-wartime protection. I hope that I am not misquoted and that I am understood very clearly because I do not oppose people having the right to bear arms if they meet the correct background checks, of which there is little continuity from state to state.”

In addition to the essay, Kesha shared the new video for “Safe,” penned and performed by her brother Sage and featuring the rapper Chika and Kesha herself. Sage wrote the song after the shooting at Majory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, a tragedy that sparked the March for Our Lives movement.

“The intense desire to change the normalcy of the American gun violence culture is why I wanted to come together with the Parkland students behind the advocacy group March for Our Lives, as well as the artists Chika and my younger brother Sage,” Kesha wrote. “Together, we’re asking Americans to vote for candidates who support common sense gun laws in this November’s midterm elections, so that we can finally end senseless gun violence.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/kesha-essay-common-sense-gun-laws-march-for-our-lives-737183/

I feel as if we’ve found ourselves as a nation not only divided by politics, but seemingly taking sides on the basic human necessity to be safe.

Maybe she should stop being so polarising politically and contributing to the problem.

We can tell children why fires and tornadoes happen because we have science, but how do we explain this? We are forced to lie to children because the truth is too nonsensical: the truth is that politicians seem to be too scared for their own jobs and donation sources to try to do anything significant to prevent these awful shootings from happening again.

We actually do have research that explains why school shootings happen. It boils down to social rejection, mental health problems and access to firearms and yet everyone only wants to focus on the guns.

The intense desire to change the normalcy of the American gun violence culture is why I wanted to come together with the Parkland students behind the advocacy group March for Our Lives, as well as the artists Chika and my younger brother Sage. Together, we’re asking Americans to vote for candidates who support common sense gun laws in this November’s midterm elections, so that we can finally end senseless gun violence. (You can easily find the politicians in your state who stand for common sense gun laws on the Gun Sense Voter website, which is supported by Everytown and Moms Demand Action.)

Kesha in attempt to be insightful has ended up being a one sided political loudmouth. She's not addressing the issue and boiling it down to guns being the root of the issue, not mental health awareness which SHE is actually a strong advocate for.

To be clear, I do not oppose the second amendment. I do not hunt, personally, but I know people who do, and I respect that there are many very reasonable circumstances for gun ownership. But the military grade guns and firearm accessories used in so many shootings are not made for hunting or non-wartime protection. I hope that I am not misquoted and that I am understood very clearly because I do not oppose people having the right to bear arms if they meet the correct background checks, of which there is little continuity from state to state.

The gun the Parkland shooter used was an AR-15-style semi-automatic weapon bought totally legally with no waiting period in Florida. The same kind of gun was used in the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012, that brutally took the innocent lives of children as young as 6 years old. Even though the Parkland shooter couldn’t buy a beer, he could buy a mass killing machine with no waiting period and an insubstantial background check. How is that legal? I personally don’t believe it should be. That is why enacting laws like Red Flag Laws are so vitally important.

Yay, she said something smart! But she's failing to knowledge that these people can get guns regardless like the columbine kids who weren't old enough to buy guns. 

Overall I think she's just contributing to the problem by not recognising the complexity of the issue and just parroting the "guns are the problem" sentiments, besides her attempts to be more moderate. She should stay the fuck away from politics if she wants to help anyone. She couldn't even bring herself to make good arguments for gay marriage as most people don't. "Love" is not an argument. She could've sighted the fact that gay relationships don't have any negative impacts on society, but no, "Fuck hate", "Love is love" bullshit.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.