Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Chris

Kesha shares 10 favorite songs about empowerment and equality

With her new track "Here Comes the Change," recorded for the forthcoming film "On the Basis of Sex" about a young Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Kesha is once again using her voice to rally for change.

"Music brings people together and can become a rallying cry for positive change," she told USA TODAY. 

To celebrate the new song, Kesha compiled a playlist to "pay homage to some of my favorite artists ... who have been brave enough to fight for love, equality and change in their music.”  

Bob Dylan, "Masters of War"

I can’t overstate the respect I have for Bob Dylan - sometimes it's hard to think that he’s actually a real live person who I have met and who has been kind to me personally. He’s a poet, activist, musician, and fighter for equality and peace through art.  

Neil Young, "Revolution Blues"

My mom used to play Neil Young when I was a child and his voice has always been in my mind as the epitome of an independent pure artist who isn’t afraid to stand up for what he believes in – a true music legend and one of my favorite artists of all time.

T. Rex, "Children of the Revolution"

I think any generation can relate to feeling like they’re a child of the revolution and that's the beauty of continuing to push change and progress forward – the work is never done. 

Bob Marley, "Get Up, Stand Up"

I grew up traveling through rural Latin America as a child with my family and I didn't fully appreciate how important Bob Marley is until I saw how present his music was and is not only there but throughout the world. He’s such a voice of hope and strength, for peace and equality.  

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

The Clash is one of the most iconic political bands of all time and pioneers for how they developed the sound of punk rock. And I believe that everyone should know their rights. 

Creedence Clearwater Revival, "Fortunate Son"

This song reminds me of growing up in Tennessee, driving down some backwoods road to go find a rope swing on a river. It was only later that I really listened to the words and realized what a powerful anti-war anthem it is.  

John Lennon, "Imagine"

One of the greatest songs ever written. It's as beautiful as it is impactful.  

Sam Cooke, "A Change is Gonna Come"

This song will give you full body chills if you close your eyes and hear the passion and heart behind these beautiful lyrics. 

Kermit the Frog, "Rainbow Connection"

I mean, how could I not choose a song sung by a frog about rainbows and love and dreams? 

Marvin Gaye, "What's Going On"

Marvin Gaye wrote this song after his brother returned from Vietnam a changed man, and questioned all of the violence and hate that’s going on. You can hear the passion in his voice.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2018/10/11/kesha-shares-ten-favorite-songs-empowerment-and-equality/1595094002/

official spotify playlist below:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5aMrCX8THaD0mcpxMswvYk

8 hours ago, Philip said:

Because making a list of men singing about empowerment and equality takes away from the list lol

4 hours ago, Chris Morlock said:

a playlist about equality without using different artists from different demographics lol3 

Isn't it a better representation of equality based on the fact that Kesha picked the songs, because she believed they're great songs in themselves and didn't care about the gender of the artists?

What you're wanting Kesha to have done is to have actively discriminated against men's music in favour of women's music, not on the basis of the quality of their music, but by gender. That doesn't sound remotely equal to me. That sounds like giving women a trophy, because they're women, despite the fact that men would go unrecognised for their superior talent. 

Sounds rather sexist in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Rosé. said:

Isn't it a better representation of equality based on the fact that Kesha picked the songs, because she believed they're great songs in themselves and didn't care about the gender of the artists?

What you're wanting Kesha to have done is to have actively discriminated against men's music in favour of women's music, not on the basis of the quality of their music, but by gender. That doesn't sound remotely equal to me. That sounds like giving women a trophy, because they're women, despite the fact that men would go unrecognised for their superior talent. 

Really can't be arsed to reply to you, since your stan glasses are glued onto you lol3

1 hour ago, Rosé. said:

no. its sexist when its 100% music by males.

if it was evenly divided between gender and sexuality, THEN it'd be more about equality lol3 

1 minute ago, Chris Morlock said:

thats not the same lol3 

So can Kesha not have a preference for certain kinds of music? Is she sexist for preferring male musicians and being somewhat open about it?Whenever she references people who inspire and influence her, the vast majority are male. Is she sexist for having most of her collaborators being male? Is she sexist for only having male dancers on tour? Is she sexist for only talking about women's issues and not men's issues?Is it sexist that everything isn't a 50/50 split between men and women all the time, every second of everyday?

3 minutes ago, Rosé. said:

So can Kesha not have a preference for certain kinds of music? Is she sexist for preferring male musicians and being somewhat open about it?Whenever she references people who inspire and influence her, the vast majority are male. Is she sexist for having most of her collaborators being male? Is she sexist for only having male dancers on tour? Is she sexist for only talking about women's issues and not men's issues?Is it sexist that everything isn't a 50/50 split between men and women all the time, every second of everyday?

its not sexist for preferring one thing but excluding others in something is

23 minutes ago, Chris Morlock said:

its not sexist for preferring one thing but excluding others in something is

Kesha simply prefers these songs. She's not excluding any songs on the basis of the gender of their creators. There is nothing remotely sexist about her song selection. She literally has zero motive to be sexist, especially negatively sexist towards women.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.