Dennis Reynolds

Titanic II to set sail as early as 2022, go on same path as original ship

If you thought the long-delayed project to launch a full-size replica of the ill-fated RMS Titanic was sunk in the water -- think again.

Just like Celine Dion sang back in 1997, the travel project will "go on and on."

Australian businessman and politician Clive Palmer, who is behind the controversial initiative, announced in September that work on the ship had recommenced -- after a financial dispute with the Chinese government halted development back in 2015. The idea was first floated in 2012.

Allegedly the new ship will be an identical copy of the infamous liner, which sank in 1912 following a collision with an iceberg.

To avoid a repeat disaster, Titanic II will apparently be outfitted with plenty of life boats -- and will have a welded, not riveted hull -- plus modern navigation and radar equipment.

"The ship will follow the original journey, carrying passengers from Southampton to New York, but she will also circumnavigate the globe, inspiring and enchanting people while attracting unrivaled attention, intrigue and mystery in every port she visits," said Palmer in a statement.

The maiden voyage, however, will take passengers from Dubai to New York, reports CruiseArabia, with the first sailing scheduled to take place in 2022.

Blue Star Line says the nine-decked ship will be home to 835 cabins, set to accommodate 2,435 passengers. You'll be able to buy first-, second- and third-class tickets -- just like in the original.

It'll be outfitted exactly like the original Titanic -- including the grand staircase that plays a memorable role in James Cameron's hit movie.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/titanic-2-launch-2022/index.html

Honestly, this makes me uncomfortable to think about. I've been to one of the RMS Titanic museums and seen actual artifacts from the ship. Actual pieces of jewelry, silverware, and one of two life jackets that survived. The story is horrible and I've seen the wall of names of people who died. I've heard recordings from living survivors and how it destroyed their lives.

Resurrecting the ship that destroyed so many lives and killed so many people just doesn't seem like a good thing to do. Then sailing it down the same path the RMS Titanic went down?

I can't get behind it. I'm sure the new ship will be beautiful because the original was a masterpiece...but fate and time decided to bury it at the bottom of the ocean. Maybe that's where we should leave it and its story. Adding a new chapter to the book that is finished doesn't seem good to me. *shrugs*