Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Holiest Dreams

1 Year of Reputation

On 11/24/2018 at 4:29 PM, Littleswiftie said:

Don't Blame Me, Delicate, Dancing With Our Hands Tied, This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things, Look What You Made Me Do, ...Ready For It?, I Did Something Bad and Getaway Car are very experimental. I have to agree that songs like End Game and So It Goes... sound pretty generic but it was just something different from Taylor and a lot of fans liked the new directionjj2 I also agree with you that it could be better. I would rather have an album with 18 tracks like Red without fillers. However, I would say Reputation fits well as a whole, in contradiction to Fearless and Red

When this album came out, I was really surprised. It was such a different thing from Taylor and from today on it's extremely underrated by the localsanna1 I already stanned Look What You Made Me Do, even though it had to grow on me. The revenge vocals, brilliant lyrics and awesome music video really did it for me. ...Ready For It? sounds a bit contradictorary (dark couplets, light chorus) but it was nice. Didn't need a music video in my opinion based on the viewsari4 Gorgeous was a fun song but I wouldn't disagree with people calling it a filler on the album. However, the meaning of the song made it clear it had to be on the albumhottie1 Call It What You Want is a beautiful, soft song but it didn't have to be a promotional single because it destroyed the erajj3 End Game was meh to me but it could be a decent hit (especially in the US) if people knew it existedjj1brit6 I Did Something Bad immediately smashed to me but now it's too late to release itcheryl1 Don't Blame Me was extremely overrated to me the first months but in May tour came and I suddenly loved itcarla1 Delicate was also meh but the music video helped it become an amazing longevity smashgaga11 Now I stan it as wellmad1 So It Goes... is a real filler to meari9 Getaway Car was and is a good song but it sounds a bit sad.. King Of My Heart is a nice song and it could be one of the last singles if the era had more singles. Dancing With Our Hands Tied is really something elseari3 Dress is meh to me, New Years Day is okay sonically

When I heard Reputation:

...Ready For It?: B-

End Game: C-

I Did Something Bad: B+

Don't Blame Me: D+

Delicate: C-

Look What You Made Me Do: A++++

So It Goes...: C-

Gorgeous: B-

Getaway Car: B

Dancing With Our Hands Tied: B+

Dress: C-

This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things: C

Call It What You Want: C+

New Years Day: C-

Overall: C+

Now:

...Ready For It?: A-

End Game: A-

I Did Something Bad: A

Don't Blame Me: A-

Delicate: A+

Look What You Made Me Do: A+++++

So It Goes...: C

Gorgeous: B+

Getaway Car: A-

King Of My Heart: B

Dancing With Our Hands Tied: A-

Dress: C

This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things: A-

Call It What You Want: B-

New Years Day: C+

Overall: B+

To be honest, even after 100 listens it is still a mixed bag.

If you are gonna do dark pop songs then at least do something interesting with it and not follow the trend of generic, boring, atmospheric and generic trap pop.

Pop rock or even 80s darkwave inspired synthpop would have been WAY BETTER to make dark pop than do the same as pop acts are doing at the moment (Halsey with Bad At Love and Now Or Never, Ariana Grande with God Is A Woman, Everyday, Everytime and the whole thank u next album tbh, Demi Lovato with Sorry Not Sorry etc).

That is why i find songs like IDSB, TIWWCHNT, LWYMMD, End Game, Ready For It and So It Goes among the worst songs in her career imo.

Not to mention that Taylor rapping feels like as if her producers tried to convince her to compete with rappers who were dominating in 2017. 

21 hours ago, johnny1248 said:

To be honest, even after 100 listens it is still a mixed bag.

If you are gonna do dark pop songs then at least do something interesting with it and not follow the trend of generic, boring, atmospheric and generic trap pop.

Pop rock or even 80s darkwave inspired synthpop would have been WAY BETTER to make dark pop than do the same as pop acts are doing at the moment (Halsey with Bad At Love and Now Or Never, Ariana Grande with God Is A Woman, Everyday, Everytime and the whole thank u next album tbh, Demi Lovato with Sorry Not Sorry etc).

That is why i find songs like IDSB, TIWWCHNT, LWYMMD, End Game, Ready For It and So It Goes among the worst songs in her career imo.

Not to mention that Taylor rapping feels like as if her producers tried to convince her to compete with rappers who were dominating in 2017. 

Every song except End Game and maybe So It Goes... were very experimental and maybe even experimental than most of her discographyhottie1

Yeah but compare TIWWCHNT, IDSB, LWYMMD and Ready For It to most pop songs today.

Those songs may be different in Taylor's discography but it's nearly the same as most pop songs which are built around trap/hip hop beats and those rolling hi hats which have been dominating the Mainstream since 2016.

Believe it or not, almost EVERYBODY (including rock bands like Imagine Dragons, Linkin Park and even 30 Seconds To Mars) experimented with trap and the results spoke for themselves.

1989 was an experimental record and YET DID NOT PANDER TO TRENDS. There were sparks of creativity along with sleek production, sticky melodies and catchy as hell choruses.

While reputation has gems like Getaway Car, New Year's Day, King Of My Heart, Gorgeous and ESPECIALLY Delicate but there are many moments that also baffle me. 

27 minutes ago, Littleswiftie said:

Every song except End Game and maybe So It Goes... were very experimental and maybe even experimental than most of her discographyhottie1

I'm still wondering how did her producers thought that Taylor Swift rapping on Ready For It and End Game would be a good idea. 

As i mentioned, the idea of Taylor rapping it feels to me like her producers wanted Taylor to fit in with today's pop music by making her rap and try hip hop/trap beats as a way to catch up with rappers who were dominating in 2016 and 2017. 

1 minute ago, johnny1248 said:

Yeah but compare TIWWCHNT, IDSB, LWYMMD and Ready For It to most pop songs today.

Those songs may be different in Taylor's discography but it's nearly the same as most pop songs which are built around trap/hip hop beats and those rolling hi hats which have been dominating the Mainstream since 2016.

Believe it or not, almost EVERYBODY (including rock bands like Imagine Dragons, Linkin Park and even 30 Seconds To Mars) experimented with trap and the results spoke for themselves.

1989 was an experimental record and YET DID NOT PANDER TO TRENDS. There were sparks of creativity along with sleek production, sticky melodies and catchy as hell choruses.

While reputation has gems like Getaway Car, New Year's Day, King Of My Heart, Gorgeous and ESPECIALLY Delicate but there are many moments that also baffle me. 

It's so funny how people's opinions can vary since a lot of people called 1989 a bland albumkesha5 Anyway, I think it deserved way more as a whole and TS7 will be her Ray Of Lightwhit1

1 minute ago, johnny1248 said:

I'm still wondering how did her producers thought that Taylor Swift rapping on Ready For It and End Game would be a good idea. 

As i mentioned, the idea of Taylor rapping it feels to me like her producers wanted Taylor to fit in with today's pop music by making her rap and try hip hop/trap beats as a way to catch up with rappers who were dominating in 2016 and 2017. 

I seriously doubt it since she was still under Big Machine Label while recording Reputationnat1 I personally love it but both could be replaced by Getaway Car and Don't Blame Me for example

12 minutes ago, Littleswiftie said:

It's so funny how people's opinions can vary since a lot of people called 1989 a bland albumkesha5 Anyway, I think it deserved way more as a whole and TS7 will be her Ray Of Lightwhit1

Well, country fans OF COURSE were gonna be disappointed with Taylor making a pop album but she delivered quality with 1989 and deserved all the success it got.

Hoping that the TS7 era AND album will make up for the disappointment because you have NO IDEA how awful it was waiting from August 2017 til May 2018 for something big to happen.

Remember when ALL OF US thought that Taylor Swift was gonna deliver an iconic performance of LWYMMD at the 2017 VMAs?

Remember Taylor Swift being in talks to perform at the 2017 MTV EMAs in London where she was nominated for 6 awards, her label chose SNL instead and she lost all of her awards to Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello?

Remember when it was rumored (thanks to Global Citizen) that Taylor Swift was gonna attend the 2018 BRITs and eventually skipped it and lost Best International Female Artist to Lorde??

Those were some REALLY dark days. 

21 minutes ago, Littleswiftie said:

I seriously doubt it since she was still under Big Machine Label while recording Reputationnat1 I personally love it but both could be replaced by Getaway Car and Don't Blame Me for example

Unpopular opinion: There was always something awkward to me about Taylor Swift wearing dark clothes, being edgy, making pop songs with hip hop beats and rapping and it is about time to get it out of my chest.

I'm not calling her ''try hard'' by any means, i just think that for a while watching Taylor like that made me feel i didn't know her anymore in the sense that i wasn't feeling like watching Taylor Swift, a sweet natured woman who made songs about shaking off the haters. 

24 minutes ago, Littleswiftie said:

I also think that it is worth mentioning that there is something contradictory about the reputation era being ''for the fans''.

Why do i say that?

Because Europe, Asia and Latin America got paid dust on the tour.

Her singles (especially Look What You Made Me Do and Ready For It) divided the fanbase

Plenty of fans were turning away from Taylor due to the Ticketmaster Verified Fan controversy.

And plenty complained about the lack of activity in the rep era.

Yeah, the era did well commercially but dig a little deeper, and you will see what i mean. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.