Bhad Bharb

Do U Believe In God?

No.

I won’t get in the way of people’s right to believe in such a thing (so long as their beliefs don’t intefere with my own beliefs or rights), but I find the concept of a god rather archaic at its very best. 

I was driving down the street the other day, and this kid — this really young kid was outside on the divider on Main Street - carrying a cardboard cross and yelling into a bullhorn about how the lord is returning and that young sinners need to repent. It’s 25 degrees outside while he’s doing this by the way, so it’s unbelievably cold. 

That’s where I think it verges from archaic into mindnumbling stupid. 

That’s not to say that I reject the concept of a higher power outright, but “god” or whatever you want to call him, no matter what faith you find yourself adhering to, while it has doing some great things for our species, it has also dragged it down to crushing lows. 

So, no. 

4 minutes ago, Mamacita said:

No.

I won’t get in the way of people’s right to believe in such a thing (so long as their beliefs don’t intefere with my own beliefs or rights), but I find the concept of a god rather archaic at its very best. 

I was driving down the street the other day, and this kid — this really young kid was outside on the divider on Main Street - carrying a cardboard cross and yelling into a bullhorn about how the lord is returning and that young sinners need to repent. It’s 25 degrees outside while he’s doing this by the way, so it’s unbelievably cold. 

That’s where I think it verges from archaic into mindnumbling stupid. 

That’s not to say that I reject the concept of a higher power outright, but “god” or whatever you want to call him, no matter what faith you find yourself adhering to, while it has doing some great things for our species, it has also dragged it down to crushing lows. 

So, no. 

This pretty much sums up my thoughts about a god/religion as well ari11

Somebody talked to me on 9/11 and I have never been able to convince myself that it didn't happen.  I was a kid, I didn't even know my uncle worked in the city, let alone 3 blocks away from the towers, but i remember my first thought was OMG UNCLE PEPE's DEAD, but this voice went no he's fine and I instantly calmed down. I think it might have been my dead grandpa but idk like i didn't regonize the voice, but .... Anyway when i got off the bus he was right there waiting for me and my cousins turns out he never even made into the city, cuz he got a flat tire and didn't have a spare, so he was suck on the side of the road waiting for AAA 

This reason and this reason alone is the reason i've never been able to shake the thought that while the whole fluffy cloud and golden gates shit is nonsense, there's some controlling force/entity maybe even an after life. Idk but something is other there tay2

No, I don't like the controlling element that is required in different religions. I believe that I control my own life and not some force up above. I'm grateful that I don't have someone pressuring me to dress a certain way or eat a certain diet etc. I guess it all stems from when I was in Scouts and it was a requirement to go to church every Sunday when I could've had a lie-in rip4

If that's your thing and it gives you happiness then that's all that matters.

Nope. I was raised Catholic, mostly because my mom's family is descended from a long line of Irish Catholics, but I eventually became disillusioned with the whole concept of institutionalized religion. The whole idea of the divine just doesn't make sense and almost all of the codified religious texts still used today were written by people with mental illness or ulterior motives. Just look at some of the more modern religions and you'll see just how the whole thing is a house of cards built on lies. Mormonism is a prime example of this, with textual analysis proving that the diction and tone of the Book of Mormon's "ancient prophecies" bear no resemblance to the writings of other so-called prophets from Christianity, on which Mormonism is nominally based. The whole thing was invented and predicated on a lie that sounds so snake-oil I'm amazed that people believe it: Joseph Smith claimed to have found two plates made of pure gold, but nobody else was allowed to see them, because "God said so"! He basically retconned a few things he didn't like about Christianity, then started writing fan fiction to fill in the next couple thousand years of missing history. This tradition continued as he handed off the reins to the next leaders, with each of them reshaping what "God wants". This was never more blatant than in the late 1970s, when the leaders of the church made the announcement that they had "spoken to God" and he had "changed his mind" about disallowing black people to become fully-fledged Mormons. Let's shift our focus somewhere else, though.

Having been raised in the Catholic church, I have a strongly held opinion that The Vatican is a corrupt and vile institution at its core. Just like Mormons, they manipulate and reshape the "word of God" to suit their whims about just what it is that people should be ashamed about. They oppress women by strictly opposing birth control and abortion, both of which are directly correlated with education and long-term health. They oppress LGBTQ people with idiotic logical leaps like "you aren't inherently sinful, but acting on your impulses is a sin". They hold up morally reprehensible people like Mother Teresa as prototypical examples of human decency, whitewashing away all their evil deeds. They protect and defend pedophiles who abuse children by the hundreds, giving them shelter and expensive legal defense. If God exists and supports the morals they claim he does, he's a hypocrite for allowing all of those things to happen. That's why he doesn't exist and was clearly invented to manipulate those who didn't know better. I cannot stand anyone who uses religion as a tool to acquire power and influence.

Having said all that, there are a few positive things about religion. Obviously, if God doesn't exist, then prayer is a meaningless act in the way that it's most often described. However, prayer in a general sense is not that dissimilar from meditation, which does have proven psychological and physiological benefits. There are also studies that delve into the positive impacts of ceremony and ritual, both of which have applications outside of any organized religion. The pseudo-magical nature of particularly complex and rigid rituals creates an aura of mystery that's hard to replicate. Religion doesn't do a lot of things very well, but when it comes to ceremony, they're pretty much unparalleled, just for the fact that their ceremonies predate almost any others that are still practiced today.

5 minutes ago, Americunt said:

Nope. I was raised Catholic, mostly because my mom's family is descended from a long line of Irish Catholics, but I eventually became disillusioned with the whole concept of institutionalized religion. The whole idea of the divine just doesn't make sense and almost all of the codified religious texts still used today were written by people with mental illness or ulterior motives. Just look at some of the more modern religions and you'll see just how the whole thing is a house of cards built on lies. Mormonism is a prime example of this, with textual analysis proving that the diction and tone of the Book of Mormon's "ancient prophecies" bear no resemblance to the writings of other so-called prophets from Christianity, on which Mormonism is nominally based. The whole thing was invented and predicated on a lie that sounds so snake-oil I'm amazed that people believe it: Joseph Smith claimed to have found two plates made of pure gold, but nobody else was allowed to see them, because "God said so"! He basically retconned a few things he didn't like about Christianity, then started writing fan fiction to fill in the next couple thousand years of missing history. This tradition continued as he handed off the reins to the next leaders, with each of them reshaping what "God wants". This was never more blatant than in the late 1970s, when the leaders of the church made the announcement that they had "spoken to God" and he had "changed his mind" about disallowing black people to become fully-fledged Mormons. Let's shift our focus somewhere else, though.

Having been raised in the Catholic church, I have a strongly held opinion that The Vatican is a corrupt and vile institution at its core. Just like Mormons, they manipulate and reshape the "word of God" to suit their whims about just what it is that people should be ashamed about. They oppress women by strictly opposing birth control and abortion, both of which are directly correlated with education and long-term health. They oppress LGBTQ people with idiotic logical leaps like "you aren't inherently sinful, but acting on your impulses is a sin". They hold up morally reprehensible people like Mother Teresa as prototypical examples of human decency, whitewashing away all their evil deeds. They protect and defend pedophiles who abuse children by the hundreds, giving them shelter and expensive legal defense. If God exists and supports the morals they claim he does, he's a hypocrite for allowing all of those things to happen. That's why he doesn't exist and was clearly invented to manipulate those who didn't know better. I cannot stand anyone who uses religion as a tool to acquire power and influence.

Having said all that, there are a few positive things about religion. Obviously, if God doesn't exist, then prayer is a meaningless act in the way that it's most often described. However, prayer in a general sense is not that dissimilar from meditation, which does have proven psychological and physiological benefits. There are also studies that delve into the positive impacts of ceremony and ritual, both of which have applications outside of any organized religion. The pseudo-magical nature of particularly complex and rigid rituals creates an aura of mystery that's hard to replicate. Religion doesn't do a lot of things very well, but when it comes to ceremony, they're pretty much unparalleled, just for the fact that their ceremonies predate almost any others that are still practiced today.

why u so pressed about Mother Teresa? She has done so much GOOD in her live, saving countless of poor children in India. One of the best women EVER lived and it's such a shame that her name is being defamed.

1 minute ago, The One Beyond All said:

why u so pressed about Mother Teresa? She has done so much GOOD in her live, saving countless of poor children in India. One of the best women EVER lived and it's such a shame that her name is being defamed.

She was an evil woman and nothing will ever change my belief in that. She believed that the sick deserved to suffer so they could be "more like Jesus", which is legitimately psychopathic and heinous. Her "clinics" were given hundreds of millions of dollars worth of donations, yet they still did not provide actual medical care, nutrition or even pain medication. Her stance with regards to abortion was also counter-productive to her stated goal of ending poverty, since access to abortion leads to education of women and fewer impoverished people in the long run. The number of people she "saved" is not nearly as many as the number of people she allowed to suffer and die under her "care", when they might've had a chance with someone else. She is emblematic of the modern Christian: a saint to the public and a monster in private.

1 minute ago, Americunt said:

She was an evil woman and nothing will ever change my belief in that. She believed that the sick deserved to suffer so they could be "more like Jesus", which is legitimately psychopathic and heinous. Her "clinics" were given hundreds of millions of dollars worth of donations, yet they still did not provide actual medical care, nutrition or even pain medication. Her stance with regards to abortion was also counter-productive to her stated goal of ending poverty, since access to abortion leads to education of women and fewer impoverished people in the long run. The number of people she "saved" is not nearly as many as the number of people she allowed to suffer and die under her "care", when they might've had a chance with someone else. She is emblematic of the modern Christian: a saint to the public and a monster in private.

I totally disagree with you. She was not a doctor and she tried to cure the people with the tools she had, i.e. the faith in God. She believed that poor people were the ones more close to God cuz Jesus had to suffer a lot too, which is just hard fact. She told that to people to help them, not make them suffer more!

She had no advanced knowledge of medicine, so what is really insane is to expect Mother Teresa's centers to be the same of hospitals. She used the money to build school etc and she helped people with love and compassion,  saving a lot of lives. You cannot blame her to kill anyone. Her views on abortion may not be the same as yours, but I respect her point of view on the topic especially if you consider that she was a religious person. On top of that her personal views have nothing to do with her GOOD operate. She dedicate her all life to help others, for fuck sake!

From Wikipedia

In 1950 Teresa founded the Missionaries of Charity, a Roman Catholic religious congregation which had over 4,500 sisters and was active in 133 countries in 2012. The congregation manages homes for people dying of HIV/AIDS, leprosy and tuberculosis; soup kitchens; dispensaries and mobile clinics; children's- and family-counselling programmes; orphanages, and schools.

That is GOOD stuff you know and that is why she was rightfully awarded with the Nobel Price for Peace. 

'God' is a metaphor for the unexplained workings of the universe -- in that sense, yes -- I believe there's something more out there that we don't understand. As some sort of mystical being? No. We've humanized the unexplained to make it more comforting that we have very little understanding of why we're here.