Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Bionic Monster

Madonna attempts to shade probable "Best Actress" nominee Lady Gaga

30 minutes ago, Bionic Monster said:

Like I said, I was being generous. ROL was definitely a great comeback, but she wasn't where she was at her peak, just like Gaga isn't now. Madonna hasn't truly been the most successful female artist in the game since the Madonna Mania days of 1984-1985. There was nobody bigger than her. Just like there was nobody bigger than Britney in 1999-2000 and nobody bigger than Gaga in 2009-2010. Feel free to lecture me about how her peak lasted 20 years and how "monster" ROL, Music, and Confessions were but I mean...brit10

Madonna’s biggest hit, LAP - came in 1989. Her best selling song, Vogue - came in 1990. In 1986 she had the biggest album and single of the year. She had 4 songs in the top 10 on the Year End list, actually. She had a hit solo album / the biggest GH of all time / 2 hit movies (that were well received) and an additional hit soundtrack just in 1989-1990.

So no, it wasn’t just 1984-1985 and don’t pretend like there are parallels when Madonna was thriving and transcending Pop stardom the first decade of her career while Gaga spent half of it recovering and then finally came back... but with a major Hollywood project that probably had $100m behind it. That’s not the same as Madonna coming back on her own during ROL / Music / Confessions. 

And don’t tell me she was not dominating when

http://www.mediatraffic.de/countdown2000.htm

http://www.mediatraffic.de/tracks-week09-2006.htm

If Hung Up was not released so late it would have undoubtedly been the #1 song of the year. And it was the #1 female album of that time as well... and #1 tour, how is that not dominating? 

By ruling the music industry I meant ruling overall, not only in a specific period. And you don't get that only with sales. ari7 Madonna is one of the biggest legends in music and if you think that Lady Gaga is even close, you're just delusional.

54 minutes ago, Jjang said:

Madonna’s biggest hit, LAP - came in 1989. Her best selling song, Vogue - came in 1990. In 1986 she had the biggest album and single of the year. She had 4 songs in the top 10 on the Year End list, actually. She had a hit solo album / the biggest GH of all time / 2 hit movies (that were well received) and an additional hit soundtrack just in 1989-1990.

So no, it wasn’t just 1984-1985 and don’t pretend like there are parallels when Madonna was thriving and transcending Pop stardom the first decade of her career while Gaga spent half of it recovering and then finally came back... but with a major Hollywood project that probably had $100m behind it. That’s not the same as Madonna coming back on her own during ROL / Music / Confessions. 

And don’t tell me she was not dominating when

http://www.mediatraffic.de/countdown2000.htm

http://www.mediatraffic.de/tracks-week09-2006.htm

If Hung Up was not released so late it would have undoubtedly been the #1 song of the year. And it was the #1 female album of that time as well... and #1 tour, how is that not dominating? 

Like A Prayer the album sold like 14m coming from True Blue which did 25m+. Whatever album Vogue came from (Tracy smth?) probably did even less. But you're right, TB was part of her peak so we'll say 1984-1986. Also I'm pretty sure The Eagles have the biggest GH of all time, it outsold Thrillerdead2

"Music" the song did well but the album did a fraction of what "Oops...I Did It Again" sold. We all know Brit's label prioritized her album sales over singles which is why she wasn't #1. Are you really gonna try and say Madonna was on Britney's level at that time? I think even Christina's debut outsold Musiclmfao2

"Hung Up" was a big hit but that era kind of ran out of steam after "Sorry." There were certainly bigger artists culturally than her in 2005/2006 as well. 

Madonna is the biggest pop girl of all time and has had more longevity than most. No one is denying this. But there was a point where she hit a peak, and in my opinion that peak occurred in the early to mid eighties. I don't know why you're getting so pressed about this honestly.dead2

However, as an actress, which is what Madonna always truly wanted to be, she failed. She is seen as a joke in the film industry and was awarded "Worst Actress of the Century" by the Razzies. Like y'all can have your cute two or three "well received" roles, but we good over here with our Oscar-buzzed and universally acclaimed fave.lmfao2

7 hours ago, 350.000.000 records sold said:

Umm no? someone is considered a great actor when he plays a role that's totally different than his character. Meryl Streep is a good actress. Both Madonna and Lady Gaga are mediocre/bad actresses with only one acclaimed performance, in a musical. LM don't have anything else to brag about Lady Gaga in 2018 -cause the level of her music it's getting worse with each album- and they think they're doing something when they drag Madonna for not having an oscar. Sorry, she's rulling only one industry, she doesn't need to try so hard in another industry too, wbk.

I don't think Gaga is a bad actress. And yes. It is important to know what roles suit your skills better. Jessics Lange for example is a great actress. And based on her resume. Her strongest point is playing unhappy, disturbed women. Gaga has already received more acclaim for acting than Madonna. This doesn't make her an acting powerhouse, but she has done very well so far.

36 minutes ago, Bionic Monster said:

Like A Prayer the album sold like 14m coming from True Blue which did 25m+. Whatever album Vogue came from (Tracy smth?) probably did even less. But you're right, TB was part of her peak so we'll say 1984-1986. Also I'm pretty sure The Eagles have the biggest GH of all time, it outsold Thrillerdead2

"Music" the song did well but the album did a fraction of what "Oops...I Did It Again" sold. We all know Brit's label prioritized her album sales over singles which is why she wasn't #1. Are you really gonna try and say Madonna was on Britney's level at that time? I think even Christina's debut outsold Musiclmfao2

"Hung Up" was a big hit but that era kind of ran out of steam after "Sorry." There were certainly bigger artists culturally than her in 2005/2006 as well. 

Madonna is the biggest pop girl of all time and has had more longevity than most. No one is denying this. But there was a point where she hit a peak, and in my opinion that peak occurred in the early to mid eighties. I don't know why you're getting so pressed about this honestly.dead2

However, as an actress, which is what Madonna always truly wanted to be, she failed. She is seen as a joke in the film industry and was awarded "Worst Actress of the Century" by the Razzies. Like y'all can have your cute two or three "well received" roles, but we good over here with our Oscar-buzzed and universally acclaimed fave.lmfao2

1989 in general had the lowest sales of that decade, the best selling album of that year was only x6 Platinum, LAP is x5 plat. It was a major success esp. when True Blue had more than 3 years on the market’s shelf while the latter was quickly followed by a soundtrack + a GH that sold like hot cakes (biggest album in the UK that year, nonstop charting in the US). Still, LAP was the biggest song of 1989 and that’s 7 years into her career, Gaga stopped having these type of monster hits 2 years into her career.

Confessions was literally the biggest female album that was released in 2005 and no album was bigger until Back To Black came along in 2007 - one of the most iconic female albums to ever be released. 

Except Im not arguing that that she didn't peak smh - I’m just saying that it’s stupid to draw parallels when Madonna’s career was ten times bigger period. What kind of logic is that? Taylor peaked as well but her numbers are infinitely more impressive than Gaga’s, does that make them same level cause they’re both past their peaks? Smh.

I don’t care for her movie career, when will you comprehend that? You’re not really “burning” me when you’re stating me the obvious about Madonna’s terrible movie career, the only difference is that I accept her shortcomings while you wholeheartedly refuse to do so with Gaga. 

She wanted to be a dancer for god’s sake, I’m sure she’s not sad with how things turned out - she propelled women to a new phase in the music industry and she did that exceptionally. She ultimately wanted to be known as a performance artist and she single handedly built an entire medium for Pop stars to experiment in that field - and is universally credited for doing so.

12 minutes ago, Jjang said:

1989 in general had the lowest sales of that decade, the best selling album of that year was only x6 Platinum, LAP is x5 plat. It was a major success esp. when True Blue had more than 3 years on the market’s shelf while the latter was quickly followed by a soundtrack + a GH that sold like hot cakes (biggest album in the UK that year, nonstop charting in the US). Still, LAP was the biggest song of 1989 and that’s 7 years into her career, Gaga stopped having these type of monster hits 2 years into her career.

Confessions was literally the biggest female album that was released in 2005 and no album was bigger until Back To Black came along in 2007 - one of the most iconic female albums to ever be released. 

Except Im not arguing that that she didn't peak smh - I’m just saying that it’s stupid to draw parallels when Madonna’s career was ten times bigger period. What kind of logic is that? Taylor peaked as well but her numbers are infinitely more impressive than Gaga’s, does that make them same level cause they’re both past their peaks? Smh.

I don’t care for her movie career, when will you comprehend that? You’re not really “burning” me when you’re stating me the obvious about Madonna’s terrible movie career, the only difference is that I accept her shortcomings while you wholeheartedly refuse to do so with Gaga. 

She wanted to be a dancer for god’s sake, I’m sure she’s not sad with how things turned out - she propelled women to a new phase in the music industry and she did that exceptionally. She ultimately wanted to be known as a performance artist and she single handedly built an entire medium for Pop stars to experiment in that field - and is universally credited for doing so.

Oh my God. I literally didn’t even make a parallel between Gaga and Madonna’s music careers. In fact, I wasn’t even talking about music at all until fossils brought it up. I never once tried to claim that Madonna isn’t as successful as Gaga. YOU are the one comparing Gaga and Madonna’s music careers, not me. My comment was about MADONNA ONLY. You’re literally arguing with me about something that didn’t even happen. I’m so done having these dumbass nonsensical arguments with you.

4 minutes ago, Bionic Monster said:

Oh my God. I literally didn’t even make a parallel between Gaga and Madonna’s music careers. In fact, I wasn’t even talking about music at all until fossils brought it up. I never once tried to claim that Madonna isn’t as successful as Gaga. YOU are the one comparing Gaga and Madonna’s music careers, not me. My comment was about MADONNA ONLY. You’re literally arguing with me about something that didn’t even happen. I’m so done having these dumbass nonsensical arguments with you.

I mean, it all started when you claimed Madonna’s career circa 08-09’ was over when she was doing as good as Gaga is doing right now, or even better lol.

4 hours ago, Yzma said:

30 years of world dominance vs. 3 years of world dominance. No wonder Gargoyle had to switch to movie making. The world doesn’t care about her music anymore. mad3 

wasn't 30 years but ok 

1 hour ago, Jjang said:

I mean, it all started when you claimed Madonna’s career circa 08-09’ was over when she was doing as good as Gaga is doing right now, or even better lol.

Again, that was because fossils brought in the old "But Madonna still rules music!!!111!!" argument as if music the only thing female pop artists are allowed to be successful at. I never brought up musical careers. Fossils have to keep bringing it up because they know Gaga is a better actress and already has a better film career than Madonna, despite this being her first starring role. 

6 hours ago, Bionic Monster said:

Again, that was because fossils brought in the old "But Madonna still rules music!!!111!!" argument as if music the only thing female pop artists are allowed to be successful at. I never brought up musical careers. Fossils have to keep bringing it up because they know Gaga is a better actress and already has a better film career than Madonna, despite this being her first starring role. 

Fossils =/= me though and that still does not justify you lying about Madonna being a supposed fad circa 08-09’ when she was as succcessful as Gaga is right now in the ASIB era. And to my knowledge, fossils bring it up because you create the notion that the ASIB era somehow elevates Gaga’s career above Madonna’s - so a reminder of how insignificant Gaga’s career overall in comparison to Madge’s is a pretty hilarious thing to bring up. 

Madonna had 2 movies that grossed over $200m, one that did over $400m with rental figures and two that were extremely profitable and did over $50m. And 2 of these roles received high praise from several critics outlets. Yes, ASIB is bigger and more critically acclaimed than anything Madonna did film wise, but this was her “some chick that you found in a drag bar tha turned into Lady Gaga” role. Her Evita / Dreamgirls / whatever musicals other Pop stars have starred in.  Don’t pretend like suddenly she’s a certified movie star when she could still turn out to be a fluke (her role in AHS received tons of mixed or bad reviews, remember?) or at least a one hit wonder in that regard. Enjoy her current Hollywood success without trying to make it into some grand Madonna vs Gaga statement cause the possibility of embarrassing yourself in the future shines bright ARTPOP gaga13. And then the fossils will come for you and then you’ll whine once again about how mean they are.  

3 minutes ago, Jjang said:

3rd biggest song that year WW. 8 million albums sold between HC / Celebration, $500m grossing tour, a critically acclaimed documentary that she directed etc. bey2

congrats to her on the tour but ASIB is a cultural phenomenon that fossil could not TOUCH even with those stats soz! you cant buy acclaim!

Just now, Jjang said:

See how monsters just refuse to accept anything negative about their fave. bey5 Just accept it and move on.

whew the geriatrics are really coming out 2day. dont u guys have a funeral home to be contacting

7 minutes ago, Merryem said:

congrats to her on the tour but ASIB is a cultural phenomenon that fossil could not TOUCH even with those stats soz! you cant buy acclaim!

Chill Nancy its just a hit musical. anna1 We’ve had Mamma Mia! / The Greatest Showman / La La Land / Bohemian Rhapsody / Le miserables and countless Disney musicals as of recent memory. Don’t act like ASIB is anything special in that realm. It’s a 5838545th remake of a film that was proven to be successful throughout fucking centuries. 

6 minutes ago, Merryem said:

whew the geriatrics are really coming out 2day. dont u guys have a funeral home to be contacting

I mean, you yourself posted some negative Evita reviews in contrast of her winning a GG for an even bigger category. Don’t act like GG cancel bad reviews now smh. 

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.