Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Brightflower

Moonflower's 2018: Albums of the Year (#s 6-25 Are Updated!)

Moonflower's 2018

Image result for moon

This must feel reductive to many of you considering the amount of threads like these that are floating about at this time of year jj4

However, when i did this last year, it made me feel good about sharing my fav albums of the year, those who I believe showed exceptional quality and simply appealed to what i wanted in my music. I'm not a music critic; I don't play in instruments or read music or have a degree that allows me to say things I say about anything or anyone's body of work, yet opinions, as little as they can be individually, matter in the grand picture, right?

Anyways, I've picked 25 albums released within the year of 2018 and here in this thread, like i did last year, I will list them down and provide my fair share of commentary where I see it fit. Hope you guys don't think I'm too irrelevant to check it out!

24 minutes ago, Moonflower said:

Moonflower's 2018

Image result for moon

This must feel reductive to many of you considering the amount of threads like these that are floating about at this time of year jj4

However, when i did this last year, it made me feel good about sharing my fav albums of the year, those who I believe showed exceptional quality and simply appealed to what i wanted in my music. I'm not a music critic; I don't play in instruments or read music or have a degree that allows me to say things I say about anything or anyone's body of work, yet opinions, as little as they can be individually, matter in the grand picture, right?

Anyways, I've picked 25 albums released within the year of 2018 and here in this thread, like i did last year, I will list them down and provide my fair share of commentary where I see it fit. Hope you guys don't think I'm too irrelevant to check it out!

this is why i wait till January whit1 

The first three albums!

Spoiler

Image result for ysiv logic

25. YSIV- Logic

Last year, he dropped his third studio album which caught my eye in a way no other album by a rapper did; the emotion in his voice, the lyrics, the consistent and in-your-face theme he kept throughout the whole record was more than great and I thought he did what no one else could: get me to listen to an entire album by a rapper. 

This year Logic seemed to be a bit of the more arrogant side of his persona, taking on the who hip-hop industry on "The Return" and boldly facing the reality of life on "Everybody Dies". It may not have made top ten but Logic once again hit the ballpark and I'm NOT disappointed. 

Spoiler

Related image

24. Golden- Kylie Minogue

I initially disliked Kylie. After listening to Golden, my thought on her haven't changed much, However, with certain undeniable gems seated in its a bit too long song selection, there was no way I could live with myself without it being somewhere on the list. that and there would be hell to pay considering this is FOTP we are talking about. 

Spoiler

The cover image features a neck-ornament upon complete black background. It is made of animal incisors used as beads and worn by T'Challa.

23. Black Panther-Various Artists.

I was very hesitant to get into this record when it dropped- I hadn't (and still haven't) seen the film yet and despite that I knew that the idea of not giving the soundtrack to the most popular and critically praised film of the year a listen would be sacrilege- after all I can live without TV but music is another issue entirely. Not only that, but superhero movies don't usually have great soundtracks. Kendrick Lamar curated possibly the greatest album orbiting around black excellence and power of the century- and thats saying a bit. From slick and ominous collabs with SZA to tracks that dominated the critics of urban music like "King's Dead". 

Golden is a sweet album. The deluxe was useless and forgettable but the standard was actually really cute. But let's get it straight that it's a pop album with country influences, not the other way around. There's like 5+ better actual country albums this year xtina7 I do like the country-influenced sound for her though. Might snatch into my top 10 this year idk. 

u should give us like a top 3 per album or something sis knit1 

2 minutes ago, RihannaRTT said:

Golden is a sweet album. The deluxe was useless and forgettable but the standard was actually really cute. But let's get it straight that it's a pop album with country influences, not the other way around. There's like 5+ better actual country albums this year xtina7 I do like the country-influenced sound for her though. Might snatch into my top 10 this year idk. 

I was saving that for the top 20 moo1

7 minutes ago, RihannaRTT said:

Everything on point, but I think Lost Without You is strong enough that it could have been placed on the standard version. jj2

Spoiler

Love Yourself Tear Cover.jpeg

22. Love Yourself: Tear- BTS

I know, I know, lots of you may be rolling your eyes and already deeming this list a flop(or maybe you were saying this the moment you saw the thread, i wouldnt really know). But really, I was blown away and very pleased at what the K-pop group had to serve. "Fake Love" was by no means as great as "DNA"- nor does it live up to following tracks, but as a whole BTS gave their fanbase what they wanted, crafting some of pop's best of 2018 and staying true to the theme and meaning of the album which is the second part of a record-breaking trilogy. As requested, a top three:

1. Fake Love

2. Magic Shop

3.Airplane pt.2

Spoiler

Carrie Underwood - Cry Pretty (Official Album Cover).png

21. Cry Pretty- Carrie Underwood

I got into country A LOT this year- there at least two more country records on this list. Carrie Underwood has been, to me one of the greatest voice of the all-American genre as I like to call it and with her sixth album, she continues to serve the quality of perfect melodies and in some ways infuses pop, so skillfully in a way that still ties her to her country roots. Vocalist do it best, ladies. 

1. That Song That We Used to Make Love to

2. Cry Pretty

3. Love Wins

Spoiler

Brockhampton Iridescence.jpg

20. Iridescence- Brockhampton

I listened to this in full once. I'm gonna be honest this is one hell of a weird record- from their style of performance to the lyrical content and just how rare a sound like this comes along- despite this kind of great musicality being seen more and more in the last few years. Not my type of music but since it came out and i gave it a play, I knew there was a place for it somewhere on this list. 

Shall we continue? Yes we shall indeed.

Spoiler

Alwaysinbetween.jpg

19. Always In Between- Jess Glynne

I have always found it hard to get into an non-North American stars. In my mind, it was like 'well, they have across the sea so whats the point?' I, like many Americans, was introduced to Jess with the Clean Bandit collab, which was the first of her now seven number ones in her home country of the U.K

On this record, Jess provides a simple, almost rawness in not only her voice, but the content. She sings on a song about not wearing make-up on certain days reall hit home- i dont wear make up but as high school progressed for me i felt the urge to wear certain things in order to feel better about how I show my self to others. "Ill Be There" remains one of the best pop songs of the year- as common as its entire message and production is, Glynne seemingly provides comfort and stability in what she is saying-in a way its almost as if she were talking to the listener especially! All in all, a pretty full album with several small but tasteful moments. 

Spoiler

A black woman with short hair giving a shirtless tattooed black man a haircut in the Louvre art museum. Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa can be seen hanging in the background.

18. Everything Is Love- The Carters

The way Bey and Jay would pair up in this album is nothing short of excellence. The music was good, "BOSS" and "NICE" were absolute fire, "SUMMER" was relaxing and "APESHIT" remains a gem in Beyonce's discography this decade.  However what had me so drawn to this project and why it lace so high on my list id the fact this was done my a husband and wife, a marriage that was a decade old in a industry that killed unions quicker than the plague. This wasn't the first husband and wife due album- and will not be the last- but to see two people ascend to the power and respect they have and to come together and form a album exemplifying themselves and how great THEY are is something I actually find cool. Only with Beyonce can self-centered-ness be considered "art". 

1. Apesh*t

2. Nice

3. Summer

Spoiler

Cardi B - Invasion of Privacy.png

17. Invasion of Privacy- Cardi B

When Cardi Be made headlines back in 2017 with "Bodak Yellow" over a year ago it was truly something to see another female rapper do great things and to really break out as the newest star of the streaming era. While her rapping style/flow is no one near the greats, Cardi seemingly effortless is able to take all the fresh and trending sounds of the day, merge them with mellow and smooth R&B and do it all with such relativity and raw confidence that makes her on of the biggest star of 2018. May the reign of Cardi go on.

1. I Like It

2. Bodak Yellow

3. Be Careful

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.