Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Shego

Define 'pop' music

Many people are saying that a pop song:
...is pop when it has easy hooks. There are many songs from many different genres with easy hooks.
...has catchy melody. I can name you many rock songs with catchy melodies.
...is easy to remember it. I can name you many songs that aren't considered pop but they are easy to remember.
...sells many copies. Some of the best selling singles of all time are rock, hard rock, rnb, disco etc. There are plenty of sucessful rock, rap, disco, country artists/bands.

How a song has to sound to be "pop"? Is pop really a music genre or rock fans are wasting their time dragging it? Spill the tea. nat1

So many lies and trolls at the first comments but anyway, wbk that you can't have a serious thread in this site. ari7

4 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

It originally just meant "popular", but essentially I take it to mean songs with catchy hooks and melodies. It's a pretty wide genre that borrows from many others. 

So basically songs like Dancing Queen, The Show Must Go On, Hotel California, Take Me Home (Country Roads), HUMBLE, What Is Love, My Heart Will Go On etc can all be called  pop? mad5 I think that pop isn't a specific genre. mad5

2 minutes ago, Régine Filange said:

So many lies and trolls at the first comments but anyway, wbk that you can't have a serious thread in this site. ari7

So basically songs like Dancing Queen, The Show Must Go On, Hotel California, Take Me Home (Country Roads), HUMBLE, What Is Love, My Heart Will Go On etc can all be called  pop? mad5 I think that pop isn't a specific genre. mad5

I don't know all of these songs but yea, you could say that. Upbeat music with repeated choruses, earworm type stuff. I think it's a specific genre.

1 hour ago, LG G6 said:

Pop is both a genre and whatever is most popular. 

22 minutes ago, BlancMac said:

Pop is quite dead at this point. ari6

What is pop, that's what i'm asking. um2 Define me how a song is considered a pop song. um2

5 minutes ago, Régine Filange said:

What is pop, that's what i'm asking. um2 Define me how a song is considered a pop song. um2

Hmmm.....

If a song sounds main stream then it's pop. If a trend has been set, then, some artists follow it which makes everything feel like one convoluted bubble of same, generic songs, it's Pop.  

For example, in 2010, every song on the radio overflowed with dance pop to the point that it was suffocating. 

Right now though, every song on the chart seems leaning more towards a trap/rnb/hip-hop influence. Which will probably get replaced in years to come. 

Pop is eclectic yet hard to follow because of constant changes in musical tastes of people. 

28 minutes ago, BlancMac said:

That being sad though, any song not performed by DuoLingo is pop for me. ari11

She is pretty much one of the very few currently successful "pure pop" singers at the moment, though. jj4 

POP is music that is melody and hook-driven. Songs that are catchy and not meant to be a portfolio of the capabilities of someone's vocals. Very different from RnB which is either more rhythm-driven or carried by very strong vocals. The focus in this genre is not always on catchy hooks and melodies.

There is really two types of RnB music. One is more leaning towards soul and the other is leaning more towards hip hop and pop.

Kylie, Gaga, Katy, Britney, Kesha, Madonna are mostly pop artists.

Christina, Ariana and Rihanna are crossover artists. They shift between RnB/Soul and Pop or RnB/Hip Hop and Pop.

Mariah is RnB/Soul but later in her carrier she moved more towards RnB/Hip Hop.

Lana is alternative pop. Which is kind of like...what soul is to RnB. A slower, more moody and intimate kind of pop music.

11 minutes ago, LG G6 said:

short, accessible, melodious, hooks, verse-chorus structure, repeated chorus,

New Rules, No Tears Left to Cry, Shape of You...

Those are recent examples of pure pop songs.

Then you have songs like GTFO by Mariah or The Weekend by SZA which are downright modern RnB.

Just now, Yzma said:

She is pretty much one of the very few currently successful "pure pop" singers at the moment, though. jj4 

POP is music that is melody and hook-driven. Songs that are catchy and not meant to be a portfolio of the capabilities of someone's vocals. Very different from RnB which is either more rhythm-driven or carried by very strong vocals. The focus in this genre is not always on catchy hooks and melodies.

There is really two types of RnB music. One is more leaning towards soul and the other is leaning more towards hip hop and pop.

Kylie, Gaga, Katy, Britney, Kesha, Madonna are mostly pop artists.

Christina, Ariana and Rihanna are crossover artists. They shift between RnB/Soul and Pop or RnB/Hip Hop and Pop.

Mariah is RnB/Soul but later in her carrier she moved more towards RnB/Hip Hop.

Lana is alternative pop. Which is kind of like...what soul is to RnB. A slower, more moody and intimate kind of pop music.

Hopefully she will not dwindle next year. But with pop we all know that the artists come and go. 

What does pop even sound like at this point? There have been too many influences to even pin point it. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.