Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Merryem

merryem's top 13 albums/EPs of 2018! (full list)

Rusually don't do these but if im trapped at home for christmas might as well jj2 unlike everyone else im just gonna drop the completed list in the op! including EPs in this list b/c there have been some fantastic EPs released this year, which would be a shame to ignore! lmk your thoughts :) 

aguilera-liberation-artwork.jpg?quality=

liberation - christina aguilera

yes, it has made every other year end and it's made mine as well! album was off to an extremely rocky start with the release of accelerate (which has grown on me immensely btw) and fall in line was....underwhelming and screamy to say the least. but the album came out and to my surprise had great replay value! voice of the generation has shown her singing chops and as usual, her ballads are the go to.

trinity: maria, unless it's with you, twice

nina_cried_power_380x380.jpg

nina cried power - hozier

hozier has made his long-awaited return with his criminally short EP, nina cried power. if it was longer it would've for sure made the top 10 because this ep served straight QUALITY. the title track is one of his strongest works, his voice makes me feel things! his brand of pop has been sorely missed in music and im glad he had such a strong return with this EP. 

trinity: nina cried power, NFWMB, moment's silence

astroworld_380x380.jpg

astroworld - travis scott

travis has been an inescapable presence in rap this year and WHEW this album DELIVERED. noah fence to miss minaj or miss cardi but neither of their albums came close to the quality mr. scott came through with on this album! a solid mix of absolute bangers and more chill vibes, there's a song for everyone on this album! also came through with SOTY, sicko mode. no song this year has gone as hard as sicko mode and that's just how it is! astroworld blocking queef from #1 was such a highlight of this year ugh his MIND

trinity: sicko mode, butterfly effect, coffee bean

no_shame_380x380.jpeg

no shame - lily allen

almost forgot this album existed until i read other year ends and after revisiting it since its release, yes this album is quality. i love lily's tongue in cheek songs and she has a good ear for catchy hooks, sheezus may have been panned but it was still extremely enjoyable! no shame sees a much more vulnerable side of the singer but her ear for catchy melodies is as reliable as ever. trigger bang is SUCH a strong lead and the feature from giggs elevates the song to another level. she shows us some of her most intimate lyricism on this album! 

trinity: trigger bang, apples, everything to feel something

golden_hour_380x380.jpg

golden hour - kacey musgraves

the biggest country album of the year tbh, and deservedly so. this AOTY nominated album shows how effective a great voice, relatable lyrics, and great melodies can do. musgraves easily combines country with some modern electronic influences and the result is pretty much impeccable. really happy this album has been so widely acknowledged because its a gorgeous piece of work and this album REEKS of timelessness. this year's melodrama tbh! (though it doesnt come close to melodrama in quality)

trinity: space cowboy, slow burn, butterflies

mustve_been_380x380.jpg

head over heels - chromeo

i gotta say i slept hard on this album but after catching an absolutely PHENOMENAL set at outsidelands i was compelled to listen and wow this album is flawless from start to finish. it's such fucking fun, simple, feel good music. must've been is SOTY for me tbh. this album can make anyone dance, and while none of the album tracks matches up to mustve been in pure quality, every track still has standout moments. all in all, this album is funky babey!!

trinity: must've been, one track mind, dont sleep

pray_for_the_wicked_380x380.jpeg

pray for the wicked - PATD

whew, i can already feel the lashings from all the pretentious members on this forum who regard anything pop punk as trash! pray for the wicked is PATD's strongest work since TWTLTRTD, and im glad he went for a much poppier route on this album. each song is infectiously catchy and the lyricism is honestly the same punky, stupidly angsty trashiness that we all love to hate and hate to love. this album is great to listen to for basically any high energy situation and high hopes turned out to be the SMASH i knew it would be so there's the GP validation! brendon urie's attitude brings the entire album together and some may say he sold out, but if selling out sounds this good then idc!

trinity: high hopes, say amen (it's saturday night), roaring 20s

sweetener_1_380x380.jpg

sweetener - ariana grande

yes, i switched like a BITCH on this album. preceding its release, i was vocal about being underwhelmed by lead NTLTC, and then the absolutely horrid TLIC killed all hype for me. but she came back with a vengeance on god is a woman and at the release of the album, i was sort of ~meh~ on it. then i realized i was expecting another pop album when ari clearly wanted to do R&B and found myself returning to the album rather frequently. the first album remains weak, but the 2nd half is ALL killer no filler and ari's lyricism and personal touch to the work has made it honestly something spectacular. get well soon is one of my favorite songs of all time now! i love it sm.

trinity: get well soon, god is a woman, goodnight n go (and nothing for everytime bye!)

dirty_computer_380x380.jpg

dirty computer - janelle monae

i really can't imagine how anyone couldn't have this album in their top 5. no offence but this album shits on the archandroid and electric lady on every level. this album sounds so fully realized, so diverse, so experimental yet fundamentally simple, a concept album without the pretentiousness! i really do love the prince influences on this album and as the case for many albums on this list, seeing it live at outsidelands made me realize truly how much of a masterpiece this album is. janelle has such an unflinching way of executing her concepts and she's definitely a current visionary in the pop realm. she has an amazing attitude, digestible political commentary (complex doesnt equate to good...sometimes simplicity is the most effective!), all packaged into an amazingly sonically diverse and cohesive album. mad props to ms. monae!

trinity: screwed, django jane, make me feel 

a_brief_inquiry_1_380x380.png

a brief inquiry into online relationships - the 1975

yes, the 2018 critics darling is also a masterpiece! this album has received some flack from other members for being pretentious or overrated, and i completely agree! this album is absolutely pretentious and probably overrated, but at the same time, it's such a strong, intense body of work that deserves the recognition it's been receiving. i truly believe it's one of the only ALBUM experiences released this year, a-la melodrama. every listen deserves a start to finish. similar to dirty computer, it has songs that flow easily from one to another, sonic experimentation that lends to some incredible moments (how to draw/petricolor was such a fucking moment) and overall it has a perfect blend of satirical humor and sharp lyricism that it's just fun to listen to. bangers and ballads, political commentary, electronica...the 1975 did snap yes!

trinity: tootimetootimetootime, how to draw/petricolor, i always want to die (sometimes)

turn_off_the_lights_vol_1_380x380.jpg

turn off the lights, vol. 1 - kim petras

whew another pick that will be slammed by the members of this forum! this EP has delivered the BEST pop music of 2018, and that's that on that. every song serves catchy, infectious, dancefloor QUALITY and ms. petras (despite the rocky year she had with troye dropping her and her work with dr. luke) has shown to be a compelling voice to listen to in pop music. yes, this EP was dr. luke produced and largely sees no artistic growth from her previous singles, but i'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt since she herself has not yet shown to be trash. this EP is honestly just pop perfection and that's all i can really say on it. it was the probably one of the best music moments of october and even after halloween, i still return to the tracks often b/c they're so fucking catchy it's unreal

trinity: close your eyes, tell me it's a nightmare, in the next life

high_as_hope_380x380.jpg

high as hope - florence and the machine

her best album, period. yes florence has been previously known for her maximalist production (which is still amazing), but florence's best asset has always been her voice and she truly let her voice be the shining star on this album and it shows. her lyricism is sooo soft and beautiful and lush i adore it. such an incredibly beautiful album...sky full of song is her best work imo. it's criminal she didn't perform it live during her set but i digress. i truly think this album is her magnum opus and i don't see how she can top it, every song takes u somewhere and evokes such a strong feeling of nostalgia and melancholy. props to florence, the album is timeless and p4k can choke for their review.

trinity: sky full of song, the end of love, no choir, and hunger too since picking 3 is too hard

asib_380x380.jpg

a star is born OST - lady gaga & bradley cooper

is anyone surprised? my fave lady gaga has delivered an incredible soundtrack which easily shot its way to my #1 most listened to album this year. ive been DYING to hear shallow since the trailer release and it didnt dissappoint, shallow remains my most listened to track of the year. bradley shows some great vocal chops too although everyone knows that gaga is the real star on the soundtrack and it truly showcases some of her best work ever. her vocals are top notch, and she delivered what her fans have always wanted - some powerhouse, no nonsense BALLADS. the ballads on this album had me shook from start to finish and i havent stopped stanning to this moment! i am one of those people where i do think my fave releases the best music which is why she's my fave and that held true for this album as well! 

trinity: shallow, ARUTW, is that alright, look what i found, i dont know what love is, ill never love again (idc they're all top tier)

honorable mentions (these albums were all great but either weren't memorable enough for me or didnt have high enough replay value to crack the top 13!)

a_singular_moment_1_150x150.jpegsuncity_150x150.jpgEIL_150x150.pngringos_desert_150x150.jpegqueen_150x150.jpeg

caution_150x150.jpgawake_150x150.jpgmy_dear_melancholy_150x150.jpgmacy_gray_150x150.jpgchvrches_150x150.png

5 hours ago, Merryem said:

Image result for mariah carey caution tour

caution - mariah 'legend' carey

is anyone surprised? Sylk's fave mariah carey a.k.a the legend has delivered an incredible album which easily shot its way to my #1 most listened to album this year. ive been DYING to hear gtfo since the teaser leaked and it didnt dissappoint, gtfo remains my most listened to track of the year. mariah shows some great vocal chops  although everyone knows that whistle register is the real star on the album and it truly showcases some of her best work ever. her vocals are top notch, and she delivered what her fans have always wanted - some powerhouse, no nonsense BALLADS. the ballads on this album had me shook from start to finish and i havent stopped stanning to this moment! i am one of those people where i do think Sylk's fave releases the best music which is why she's sylk's fave and that held true for this album as well! 

trinity: gtfo, the distance, one mo' gen (idc they're all top tier)

ho

Image result for oprah surprise gif

3 minutes ago, Urbanov said:

Great taste my friend clap3 although Kim Fartas at 3 is a little bit questionable jj2 

tea im shocked the r*pist sympathizer is above Dirty Godputer kylie2 

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Kim Petras IS excellent

yes she is clap3 

1 hour ago, Urbanov said:

Great taste my friend clap3 although Kim Fartas at 3 is a little bit questionable jj2 

she delivered what i hoped charli would imo! clap3 

1 hour ago, Sylk said:

tea im shocked the r*pist sympathizer is above Dirty Godputer kylie2 

quality wise dirty godputer easily outstrips totl kylie6 but personally ms. kim petras-gottwald had the more played album for me! i just assume whatever streams i give ha isnt enough to pay for luke's dinner kylie3 

14 minutes ago, Merryem said:

yes she is clap3 

she delivered what i hoped charli would imo! clap3 

quality wise dirty godputer easily outstrips totl kylie6 but personally ms. kim petras-gottwald had the more played album for me! i just assume whatever streams i give ha isnt enough to pay for luke's dinner kylie3 

okay tea maybe dr puke can finally afford a can of soup for christmas thanks to you kylie3 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.