Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Kuba

Have your thoughts on streaming changed?

I went from pirating all my music to paying for it legally, so it's an improvement to me. sia1

You can't make the argument of artists not getting paid enough when many people like me pirated music back when physical media was the prevalent source. sia1

It takes away the excitement of waiting for physical releases and the packaging and exclusive booklets and stuff, but lately artists aren't paying enough attention to that either so I guess this is a good thing. 

I will never get over the fact that it ruined the music industry though. 

Well, evidently, it is showing what majority of the people listens to, so it is good indicator of popularity. On the other side, it gives music kind of disposable layer. You are able to listen to anything ( advantage ) for practically paying minimum or nothing. Songs that are legit number #1s or in the top 10 don't feel as huge as songs that hit certain of those places in the past. Therefore, today you will find people who are not familiar with top WW songs. For instance, in the past, Rich Girl by Gwen Stefani was the song everyone would know if you mentioned it, no matter the place. That goes for any huge hit song up until ~2015. If you start singing some other hit songs after that period while hanging out with friends or with whoever, the biggest chance is that maybe one more person in the group will be familiar with it. 

28 minutes ago, Hex said:

I went from pirating all my music to paying for it legally, so it's an improvement to me. sia1

You can't make the argument of artists not getting paid enough when many people like me pirated music back when physical media was the prevalent source. sia1

same here. clap3 

Downgrade. I agree that there's no excitement as someone said already, everything is getting streamed easily, songs come and leave the charts fast, people get bored of them fast, the same artists are rulling the charts etc. We will never witness another iconic single as we did the last decades. I don't care if someone has 4 billion streams.

Streaming music will never be equal with buying music, in terms of success.

37 minutes ago, Ghostface said:

Well, evidently, it is showing what majority of the people listens to, so it is good indicator of popularity. On the other side, it gives music kind of disposable layer. You are able to listen to anything ( advantage ) for practically paying minimum or nothing. Songs that are legit number #1s or in the top 10 don't feel as huge as songs that hit certain of those places in the past. Therefore, today you will find people who are not familiar with top WW songs. For instance, in the past, Rich Girl by Gwen Stefani was the song everyone would know if you mentioned it, no matter the place. That goes for any huge hit song up until ~2015. If you start singing some other hit songs after that period while hanging out with friends or with whoever, the biggest chance is that maybe one more person in the group will be familiar with it.  

You could always see what people were listening before the streaming era just by looking the charts. sia1 There's no music diversity today, idk how to say it. sia1 Here's an interesting article: https://pudding.cool/2018/05/similarity/

37 minutes ago, Ghostface said:

Agree with this too. sia1

I use it frequently because it has the use of having most music I also buy physically. So it takes away me needing to rip a lot of my CDs. I also find it useful for artists I casually enjoy or single songs or releases I do not intend on buying. Buying physically will always be main priority for me

This being said it really does skew the charts. I guess it is a good way to measure what people are actually listening to. But on that note also if a song is playlisted all over streaming it is almost guaranteed to be a hit on the charts even if there is limited radio play or no video or the song is not getting huge amounts of downloads. So even still listening habits are not 100% accurate as someone might just stick a playlist on and not take any notice to it while doing something else. Streaming determines the charts now

The older girls are the most impacted honestly cause they have a reduced streaming audience already and their singles are not playlisted. The likes of Madonna Kylie etc will no longer have hits even in their historically biggest markets because the streaming power is simply not there

I used to hate it because I stan mostly popstars and they are nothing without physical sales but I'm over the charts so whatever

but Latinos are taking over the world more than ever because of streaming, Latin Artists and about to command the music industry in the future and I am so here for that, Mexico is pretty much the Mecca of Streaming

the USA was the leader for decades, now it's time for Latinos to slay

Latinos Have Never Been more IN

tumblr_o2ct78isPR1tq2u9jo3_r1_250.gif

51 minutes ago, Régine Filange said:

You could always see what people were listening before the streaming era just by looking the charts. sia1 There's no music diversity today, idk how to say it. sia1 Here's an interesting article: https://pudding.cool/2018/05/similarity/

Agree with this too. sia1

Yes, but, like you stated, providing you followed the charts and read articles about them. Also, what I also wanted to say is that hip-hop/rap/urban were always omnipresent, but in the streaming era their lead is evident against different genres and definitely much more than in the 2000's when they were also taking huge part of music and overall popularity.

33 minutes ago, Régine Filange said:

Streaming music will never be equal with buying music, in terms of success.

Not true in the GP's eyes, no one thinks Rihanna has sold any less than she has (and is shaping up to be one of the best selling artists ever, if she keeps her streak going) just because streaming accounts for a % of her sales. It's just moving on with the times

14 minutes ago, Mariah's 18 #1's said:

Not true in the GP's eyes, no one thinks Rihanna has sold any less than she has (and is shaping up to be one of the best selling artists ever, if she keeps her streak going) just because streaming accounts for a % of her sales. It's just moving on with the times

By general public you mean fans who have a successful face cause of streaming? Cause those are the only people who don't have problem with that. Rihanna is somewhere in the middle, she has sold many digital copies before streaming era. Repeating songs for years and still counting as "sales" < buying it. They don't have the same value.

9 minutes ago, Régine Filange said:

By general public you mean fans who have a successful face cause of streaming? Cause those are the only people who don't have problem with that. Rihanna is somewhere in the middle, she has sold many digital copies before streaming era. Repeating songs for years and still counting as "sales" < buying it. They don't have the same value.

They SHOULDN'T have the same value, I agree. But they do because streaming now = sales 

I personally love it. I used to pirate music all the time, so not only did I show no support to my faves, I also kept my musical world very limited. Now I'm exposed to so many artists daily, it's great! sia1

I must disagree that streams don't carry the same value as sales. Music has ALWAYS been evolving into a medium that's more comfortable and accessible, like cds + digital sales didn't suddenly make music less "valuable." The argument for streaming makes it seem like 1 free stream literally equals one sale.. which is not true. Besides, you can buy a song or album and only listen to it once, whereas streaming indicates the actual number of listens it has.

I do agree that it made way for really easy payola, but unfortunately, that concept will never leave the music industry. If it's not streaming, it's radios or whatever else. Luckily, charts are catching on to that and have made effort to reduce it!

1 hour ago, Kuba said:

I personally love it. I used to pirate music all the time, so not only did I show no support to my faves, I also kept my musical world very limited. Now I'm exposed to so many artists daily, it's great! sia1

I must disagree that streams don't carry the same value as sales. Music has ALWAYS been evolving into a medium that's more comfortable and accessible, like cds + digital sales didn't suddenly make music less "valuable." The argument for streaming makes it seem like 1 free stream literally equals one sale.. which is not true. Besides, you can buy a song or album and only listen to it once, whereas streaming indicates the actual number of listens it has.

I do agree that it made way for really easy payola, but unfortunately, that concept will never leave the music industry. If it's not streaming, it's radios or whatever else. Luckily, charts are catching on to that and have made effort to reduce it!

I'm saying that you had to buy one copy (digital or psysical) and listen to it as many times you wanted. dead4

What can be considered a big achievement. An album that sold 10.000 streaming "copies" while many hardcore fans can repeat each song 10 times a day, or an album that sold 10.000 copies, digital or physical, by 10.000 different people? dead4 I'm not saying that streaming isn't good, you can find songs easily, new artists, listen more music for free etc, but let's not pretend that it's not impacting negatively the music industry at the same time.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.