Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Kuba

Have your thoughts on streaming changed?

2 hours ago, Jake said:

Love it. I get to support everyone I do with each click of play. I wanted to, but I didn't have the funds to support every album and single purchase.

This basically, but now I think streaming numbers and selling numbers should be separated and have different charts.

I’m fine with it! I stream the songs I know I won’t stan and don’t want to waste the $1.29 on but I still bop to every so often. I used to pirate and buy songs one day, listen to it for a few hours, then never touch it again. Now I can just stream those tracks and provide that artist a meal for the evening. I still buy the physical and digital copies of my faves though because nothing really beats being able to hold a brand new album in your hands.

33 minutes ago, Régine Filange said:

I'm saying that you had to buy one copy (digital or psysical) and listen to it as many times you wanted. dead4

What can be considered a big achievement. An album that sold 10.000 streaming "copies" while many hardcore fans can repeat each song 10 times a day, or an album that sold 10.000 copies, digital or physical, by 10.000 different people? dead4 I'm not saying that streaming isn't good, you can find songs easily, new artists, listen more music for free etc, but let's not pretend that it's not impacting negatively the music industry at the same time.

Idon't really see it as that "negative," it's just different and efforts are constantly made to retain its integrity. You do make a valid point with 10,000 different people buying the album! However, streaming isn't as lenient as it's made out to be. For instance, in Ireland, 1000 streams = 1 album (roughly, some neutralisation rules are put in place for the most streamed tracks). I checked my last.fm, and Kylie's Golden hit 1k recently, and it's the only album that got that many streams from me. So in theory, I only gave 1 full album sale to any artist this year. rip4 Even if you obsessively play your faves songs, it'll hardly make a dent to their overall numbers. If anything, the streams show the artist and label execs how much the album was actually listened to.

But obviously, a lot of issues need to be tackled still. For instance, playlists, payola, tacking on random tracks onto albums and the length of albums, but it's being worked on. New weighting systems favouring paid subscriptions are great, and rules about the longevity of songs (like the one in the UK) are being implemented. But the streaming explosion is fairly recent so there are still many reforms to come sia1

Money-wise, it's definitely an improvement. Plus I'm always seeking out different music and artists, so listening to music on Spotify is way more convenient than having to download a bunch of albums. Nothing will beat opening a CD, playing it and flipping through the booklet though. I hope physical albums don't die out. The era that we're in right now is perfect, being able to choose between streaming and buying an album.

I’ve always loved streaming. I don’t really buy physical albums as I prefer listening to music digitally, and I also don’t do illegal downloads, so it’s a lot easier financially than buying it all on iTunes. Not to mention it also allows me to discover way more artists than before. I don’t follow or care about charts or sales either, so I couldn’t care less how it affects those.

13 hours ago, RoleModel said:

I wish it was like in the nineties. You had to go to the store the day of the release if you wanted to hear it on the day of release... it must have been way more fun back in the time. 

If I was my age now in the 90s I would be truly broke cause I would be buying every physical format of every single kylie9

11 hours ago, RoleModel said:

Same but weren't physical formats way cheaper back then? 

Yeah I believe so. I know theres a lot of cover arts out there from the 80s and 90s eras where it actually says something like specially priced single or something like that

Albums were certainly a lot cheaper - Under 10 dollars usually

Now you pay closer to 20 for most, at least for physicals

14 hours ago, Régine Filange said:

I'm saying that you had to buy one copy (digital or psysical) and listen to it as many times you wanted. dead4

What can be considered a big achievement. An album that sold 10.000 streaming "copies" while many hardcore fans can repeat each song 10 times a day, or an album that sold 10.000 copies, digital or physical, by 10.000 different people? dead4 I'm not saying that streaming isn't good, you can find songs easily, new artists, listen more music for free etc, but let's not pretend that it's not impacting negatively the music industry at the same time.

tea2

14 hours ago, Divine said:

I’m fine with it! I stream the songs I know I won’t stan and don’t want to waste the $1.29 on but I still bop to every so often. I used to pirate and buy songs one day, listen to it for a few hours, then never touch it again. Now I can just stream those tracks and provide that artist a meal for the evening. I still buy the physical and digital copies of my faves though because nothing really beats being able to hold a brand new album in your hands.

Oomf snapped

6 hours ago, Hylia said:

I’ve always loved streaming. I don’t really buy physical albums as I prefer listening to music digitally, and I also don’t do illegal downloads, so it’s a lot easier financially than buying it all on iTunes. Not to mention it also allows me to discover way more artists than before. I don’t follow or care about charts or sales either, so I couldn’t care less how it affects those.

Oomf snapped [2]

I use it pretty often but I'm still mad about the impact of streaming on the music industry. The real value of charts have been decreased. However, you have more occassion to discover several music genres so it isn't completely bad. I'm the most disgusted about how music gets treated since streaming started to dominate. Copies don't mean anything. Without streaming, artists like Post Malone or Cardi B wouldn't make it, while some big older superstars like Taylor, Katy and Gaga are kinda struggling with the new streaming rule since they get less hits than they used to do back in 2014. A #1 hit doesn't mean a lot anymore. Everyone used to know the #1 in 2011 but now only a small percentage of the inhabitants know about it.

And let's not forget the stan wars between pure sales (Taylor, Adele) and streaming artists (Ariana, Camila)jj2

14 hours ago, Hylia said:

7 hours ago, Urbanov said:

Oomf snapped

Oomf snapped [2]

@Littleswiftie girl you stay downvoting the most harmless, random posts

tumblr_inline_njjb4lyLZ31rv46dl.gif

I really don't like the fact that free streaming is still a thing that exists and to be honest, I'd prefer it goes away soon. Ad-supported free streaming is simply not giving the proper monetary compensation to artists, when compared with paid streaming.  Honestly, streaming on the whole really needs to catch up with the times and start giving artists their due, because I've heard way too many horror stories about artists getting what practically amounts to pennies for songs with millions of plays. Add in the fact that there are companies like TIDAL which are rumored to have not paid licensing fees for any of the music they're hosting in months and you have a pretty big quagmire of a situation.

Thankfully, the recently passed Music Modernization Act should pick up some of the slack and start giving artists the compensation they need in order to make a living.

I still love streaming, it gives me most artists directly at my fingertips and makes them accessible and easy to listen to.

While I think buying physical copies is much more rewarding, streaming gives you a multitude of songs which you can always listen to, either for free or for a very low price. Compared to paying 8 dollars for an album with 12 tracks and only listening to it once or twice, I think it's much better. sia1

But, like many people on the thread have pointed out, streaming does have its negative aspects and consequences, mainly on the charts, which get ruled by a single artist just because of some extremely dedicated crazy stans who stream their fave's new single 115 times a day.

On 12/26/2018 at 5:08 PM, Ghostface said:

Well, evidently, it is showing what majority of the people listens to, so it is good indicator of popularity. On the other side, it gives music kind of disposable layer. You are able to listen to anything ( advantage ) for practically paying minimum or nothing. Songs that are legit number #1s or in the top 10 don't feel as huge as songs that hit certain of those places in the past. Therefore, today you will find people who are not familiar with top WW songs. For instance, in the past, Rich Girl by Gwen Stefani was the song everyone would know if you mentioned it, no matter the place. That goes for any huge hit song up until ~2015. If you start singing some other hit songs after that period while hanging out with friends or with whoever, the biggest chance is that maybe one more person in the group will be familiar with it. 

Agree. Those "hits" don't feel like real hit songs. There is definitely a change.

But here is a tricky part. It is an indicator of popularity, but also isn't. For example: Taylor Swift song gets 200 streams by 2 persons. Katy Perry song gets 100 streams by 100 different persons (one stream per person) . In this case, it is Taylor's song that has more streams, but is it a hit song if only 2 persons streamed it?

And this fits to your talk about songs that don't feel huge. Hits on streaming services aren't always big hits outside of them. 

The good thing is what @Hylia said about money issue. 

It definitely has a negative effect on music industry and charts. The most commercial music gets the most streams. In the past there was  a lot more diversity. Different songs could have been hits (rock, grunge, hip hop, pop, electronica...). Now, everything is pretty much the same, while many alternative artists don't have a chance. The best example of that is MTV VMAs. Just compare the latest ones to the 90s ones. 

On 12/27/2018 at 10:46 PM, Nocturn said:

Agree. Those "hits" don't feel like real hit songs. There is definitely a change.

But here is a tricky part. It is an indicator of popularity, but also isn't. For example: Taylor Swift song gets 200 streams by 2 persons. Katy Perry song gets 100 streams by 100 different persons (one stream per person) . In this case, it is Taylor's song that has more streams, but is it a hit song if only 2 persons streamed it?

And this fits to your talk about songs that don't feel huge. Hits on streaming services aren't always big hits outside of them. 

The good thing is what @Hylia said about money issue. 

It definitely has a negative effect on music industry and charts. The most commercial music gets the most streams. In the past there was  a lot more diversity. Different songs could have been hits (rock, grunge, hip hop, pop, electronica...). Now, everything is pretty much the same, while many alternative artists don't have a chance. The best example of that is MTV VMAs. Just compare the latest ones to the 90s ones. 

https://pudding.cool/2018/05/similarity/

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.