Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Luca

Ariana is being accused of cultural appropriation by Twitter stans, clocks fans one by one!

People really are doing too much to her and obviously haven’t followed her very long if they think she’s just using Japanese characters for aesthetic. Like she said, she’s literally always adored the culture (appreciation) and has never used it to mock or to used it for the sake of being cute (appreciation). I try not to be the person that’s all “anti SJW!!!!” bc I feel it’s counterproductive but the people all up in arms are ridiculous and are being just as counterproductive. There are people dying and they are SO concerned over what Ariana Grande has tattooed on her palm. Damn. Let her live.

Just now, Divine said:

People really are doing too much to her and obviously haven’t followed her very long if they think she’s just using Japanese characters for aesthetic. Like she said, she’s literally always adored the culture (appreciation) and has never used it to mock or to used it for the sake of being cute (appreciation). I try not to be the person that’s all “anti SJW!!!!” bc I feel it’s counterproductive but the people all up in arms are ridiculous and are being just as counterproductive. There are people dying and they are SO concerned over what Ariana Grande has tattooed on her palm. Damn. Let her live.

Exactly this, I also don't get why they feel so offended about this? Not to sound ignorant or anything, but what has a tattoo or a literal "parental advisory explicit content" sticker in Japanese to do with cultural appropriation? They can't come for her anime inspired merchandise, since anime is an artstyle. They are just really trying to find something to drag her down for literally no reason but her success. 

Frankly, she shouldn't be entertaining people on Twitter, at least not those that are occupied with fictional issues they created in their own heads. They won't think differently even after you factually explain them certain situation. I mean, everyone can do whatever they want, but there is no need for her to justify something that is NOT wrong. Then again, this is about finding anything, no matter how insignificant or harmless, and paint it as some monumental problem in order to put stains on someone that enjoys huge success at the moment like Ariana.

10 minutes ago, Ghostface said:

Frankly, she shouldn't be entertaining people on Twitter, at least not those that are occupied with fictional issues they created in their own heads. They won't think differently even after you factually explain them certain situation. I mean, everyone can do whatever they want, but there is no need for her to justify something that is NOT wrong. Then again, this is about finding anything, no matter how insignificant or harmless, and paint it as some monumental problem in order to put stains on someone that enjoys huge success at the moment like Ariana.

Tbh she was in a lose lose situation. If she ignored them, they would keep hounding her about it again and again and again until it becomes the cool thing to hate her. See Katy Perry for example. If she responds, she gets more hate because people find a million tiny loopholes to add to their initial argument at the last second. Like I said previously, this cancel culture is toxic and counterproductive to real issues that POC suffer from daily.

46 minutes ago, Divine said:

Tbh she was in a lose lose situation. If she ignored them, they would keep hounding her about it again and again and again until it becomes the cool thing to hate her. See Katy Perry for example. If she responds, she gets more hate because people find a million tiny loopholes to add to their initial argument at the last second. Like I said previously, this cancel culture is toxic and counterproductive to real issues that POC suffer from daily.

A fuck off as an answer would've been better for me. lol3

Paying attention and making problematic bitches like the twitter stans to feel important is the least pleasing thing to do.

Cancel culture is toxic and a horrible misuse of energy that could be channeled into actually problematic people. Yeah, Ariana said/did some dumb things, but there's no need to be making some kind of monster out of her. I admire her for still trying to clear things up, I wish my own fave clarified some mishaps during the Witness era. However, I think it's time she takes a leaf out of Katy's book and just ignores twitter for a bit. It can't be healthy reading all that shit dead2

2 hours ago, Kuba said:

Cancel culture is toxic and a horrible misuse of energy that could be channeled into actually problematic people. Yeah, Ariana said/did some dumb things, but there's no need to be making some kind of monster out of her. I admire her for still trying to clear things up, I wish my own fave clarified some mishaps during the Witness era. However, I think it's time she takes a leaf out of Katy's book and just ignores twitter for a bit. It can't be healthy reading all that shit dead2

THIS. Thank you.

Enough of this “omg no it’s cultural appreciation” bullshit. She is guilty of cultural appropriation. Do I think she means bad? Not at all. But non-POC have a hard time understanding the feelings of POC, and I can understand why she feels reassurance when her Japanese fans react well to her use of their culture. It isn’t easy for whites to understand feeling like your culture is appropriated because they haven’t experienced it themselves, and it’s even harder when 1000s of different opinions about the subject are being thrown at you on social media. So she is clearly using Japanese culture as a cutesy aesthetic inappropriately, but she also likes the culture and means no harm. Doesn’t make it okay though.

2 hours ago, Nihilego said:

Enough of this “omg no it’s cultural appreciation” bullshit. She is guilty of cultural appropriation. Do I think she means bad? Not at all. But non-POC have a hard time understanding the feelings of POC, and I can understand why she feels reassurance when her Japanese fans react well to her use of their culture. It isn’t easy for whites to understand feeling like your culture is appropriated because they haven’t experienced it themselves, and it’s even harder when 1000s of different opinions about the subject are being thrown at you on social media. So she is clearly using Japanese culture as a cutesy aesthetic inappropriately, but she also likes the culture and means no harm. Doesn’t make it okay though.

Japanese people use English as an aesthetic all the time. They do it out of appreciation too cuz they love Western culture. Is there outrage? No. Ari did the same thing. There’s literally no harm in it and the perfect internet SJWs just love living in their glass houses throwing stones. That’s what it is.

On 2/6/2019 at 9:57 AM, Umbreon said:

Japanese people use English as an aesthetic all the time. They do it out of appreciation too cuz they love Western culture. Is there outrage? No. Ari did the same thing. There’s literally no harm in it and the perfect internet SJWs just love living in their glass houses throwing stones. That’s what it is.

sigh

You know behind those SJWs there are actual Japanese-American people there who have gotten increasingly annoyed and I understand them. Like sure, we know Ari is a weeb by now and she can get all the Pokémon or anime tattoos that she wants, that’s fine. But then she’s going on Fallon teaching wrong Japanese, getting and publicizing her kanji tattoos before she even knew the correct grammar, and putting japanese in her pink trap house video to make it feel more exotic and punk. I asked my Japanese-American and he literally said she deserved her tattoo fuckup for acting like she’s a spokesperson of the language and using it as an aesthetic. He was a fan of hers like not too long ago.

So yes, SJWs are annoying and overdo it, but they actually do stem from real and genuine feelings of minorities in the US.

still a stan tho bc i genuinely don’t think she meant any harm but i wish she’d stop

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.