Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

WarrenThanksYouAll

30 years in : 'Like A Prayer' remains the most critically acclaimed female album. Why?

Madonna_-_Like_a_Prayer_album.png

NME 10/10

tumblr_n2swqhBEu01qls92lo2_r1_540.jpg

Smash Hits 5/5

tumblr_nyzc1cKJPJ1ui6mc4o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2svcpoAyr1qls92lo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_not9i9OU4K1tkw6xro1_400.jpg

Pitchfork 9.0

Slant Magazine 90

AllMusic 100

Entertainment Weekly A

Q 100

Rolling Stone Album Guide 100

Glen Levy from Time stated: "Madonna has always been a keen student of pop-culture history, and her creative powers were probably at their peak in the late 1980s on the album Like a Prayer."

Hadley Freeman from The Guardian opined that Like a Prayer shaped "how pop stars, pop music, music videos, love, sex and the 80s were and should be".

Jon Pareles, from The New York Times, said that " [Like a Prayer] defiantly grabbed Christian language and imagery". 

According to the list of "All-TIME 100 Albums" by Time magazine's critics, Like a Prayer is one of the 100 greatest and most influential musical compilations since 1954. 

In 2003, Rolling Stone magazine named it the 239th greatest album of all time. 

In 2006, Q magazine placed the album at number 14 in its list of "40 Best Albums of the '80s". 

In 2005, a poll of half million people on British television network Channel 4 placed Like a Prayer at number eight on list of "The 100 Greatest Albums in Music History". 

In 2012, Slant Magazine listed the album at number 20 on its list of "Best Albums of the 1980s", saying: "By the late '80s, Madonna was already one of the biggest pop stars of all time, but with Like a Prayer, she became one of the most important".

Thomas Harrison on the book Music of the 1980s, documented that Like a Prayer pushed boundaries by addressing "uncomfortable song topics".

LA Weekly's Art Tavana opined that "Like a Prayer was the moment when Madonna went from being the voice of America's teenagers to the worldwide high priestess of pop". 

Annie Zaleski from The A.V. Club, praised the album for "starting a conversation about religion” which remains one of the most incendiary topics a musician can address. [...] All of this pointed to Madonna establishing herself as a serious artist (emphasis on the "art") who had significant things to say. And even today, Like a Prayer remains provocative and progressive: The racial tension alluded to in the "Like a Prayer" video is striking, while the album's themes of religious and sexual oppression still feel all too relevant. Madonna dictated pop's future direction while also being firmly in control of her own fortunes.

According to AcclaimedMusic : Like A Prayer is the #336 most critically acclaimed album of all time and #6 of its' respective year (#1 female album). 

And there's more and more receipts, but you get the memo! moo10 Beyonce came the closest with Lemonade, but till this day LAP remains the most critically appreciated female album of all time, why is that? gaga14

@Madonna @HninSi Let's celebrate our Cha Cha queen moo6

OMG I had no idea it was THAT acclaimed. Yas at my top 3 Madge albums being her most critically acclaimed as well!

SHOOK!

tumblr_m9utscncWB1qi3vx8.gif

The fact Grammys SNUBBED this masterpiece remains unforgivable and is still a testament to the fact that they are unimportant and still unqualified to give an opinion on anything.

12 minutes ago, Madonna said:

OMG I had no idea it was THAT acclaimed. Yas at my top 3 Madge albums being her most critically acclaimed as well!

SHOOK!

tumblr_m9utscncWB1qi3vx8.gif

The fact Grammys SNUBBED this masterpiece remains unforgivable and is still a testament to the fact that they are unimportant and still unqualified to give an opinion on anything.

You have no idea your fave had the most critically acclaimed female Pop album of all time? gaga14 If MC was a thing for 80's releases it would have a score of 94, the quality and artistic excellence jumped out cry7

2 minutes ago, Jjang said:

You have no idea your fave had the most critically acclaimed female Pop album of all time? gaga14 If MC was a thing for 80's releases it would have a score of 94, the quality and artistic excellence jumped out cry7

Madonna=78
Like a Virgin=75
True Blue=73
Like A Prayer=92
Erotica=71
Bedtime Stories=71
Ray of Light=87

I knew about this but I didn't know it was the most critically acclaimed female album. gaga14

3 minutes ago, ParentalAdvisory said:

Till Death do US Part is my 2nd Fav Madonna Song of all Time 

that hook 

that verse 

that Chorus 

that lyrics

she Did that cry6 

Should have been a single instead of Cherish.

Like a Prayer

Express Yourself

Till Death Do Us Part

Oh Father (US) / Spanish Eyes (EU) instead of Dear Jessie

Keep It Together

Perfect era.

1 minute ago, Madonna said:

Should have been a single instead of Cherish.

Like a Prayer

Express Yourself

Till Death Do Us Part

Oh Father (US) / Spanish Eyes (EU) instead of Dear Jessie

Keep It Together

Perfect era.

Omg that hot German tea Here sis cry6 

it wouldve been the perfect 3rd Single 

4 minutes ago, Madonna said:

Madonna=78
Like a Virgin=75
True Blue=73
Like A Prayer=92
Erotica=71
Bedtime Stories=71
Ray of Light=87

I knew about this but I didn't know it was the most critically acclaimed female album. gaga14

Madonna is actually at 80+ now, it got a few retrospective reviews since then (incl. a 8.2 from Pitchfork), I believe ROL improved too after its 20 anniversary. 

1 minute ago, ParentalAdvisory said:

Omg that hot German tea Here sis cry6 

it wouldve been the perfect 3rd Single 

If she only she had kept the dark hair a little longer. cry6 I can't imagine a video for the song with blonde hair. Cherish did well as a single but it really isn't a strong song in retrospect and not a good representation of the album. Oh Father is one of her all-time best songs but it was a bit too heavy on audiences I guess. Spanish Eyes could have been a hit in Europe though, even around X-Mas.

1 minute ago, Jjang said:

Madonna is actually at 80+ now, it got a few retrospective reviews since then (incl. a 8.2 from Pitchfork), I believe ROL improved too after its 20 anniversary. 

LEGENDARY. It's what they deserve.

1 minute ago, HninSi said:

I cringed when she left the belts in climax to another singer.

Wanna know when I cringed?

When Mariah left the singing (including whistle notes) to the playback and even the playback didn't feel like singing.

11 minutes ago, HninSi said:

I cringed when she left the belts in climax to another singer.

Critics, who made it the 17th most critically acclaimed song of the 80's disagree with you. kii1

Mariah, who supposedly "dominated" the 90's only has one entry with Fantasy as the #528 most critically acclaimed song of the 90's. How sad, but I guess when your signature song is a cha cha I'm in heaven with my boyfriend, my laughing boyfriend  then you deserve it. brit9

10 minutes ago, Madonna said:

Wanna know when I cringed?

When Mariah left the singing (including whistle notes) to the playback and even the playback didn't feel like singing.

The only thing she's remembered for

"we're missing some of these vocals" being the main vocal LMFAO what a joke she is

the vocals 0:45 kii1 the kind of vocals her fans masturbate to OMG SHE WENT SO DEEP AND LOW THE RESONANCE #

G5!! GOSFGSGFSGS they're so dumb kii 

1 hour ago, Jjang said:

According to AcclaimedMusic : Like A Prayer is the #336 most critically acclaimed album of all time and #6 of its' respective year (#1 female album). 

LAP is the most acclaimed female album of all time despite being 336th overall? moo2 

The misogyny moo2

Just now, Freaky Prince said:

LAP is the most acclaimed female album of all time despite being 336th overall? moo2 

The misogyny moo2

Pop album. Joni Mitchell is at #52 with Blue, Carole King #72 with Tapestry, Lauryn #124 with Miseducation etc... but your point still stands, the ratio between males to females is like 1:40 dead2 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.