Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Law

Is a new pop era emerging?

With Urban taking the throne in around 2016, it's had a non-stop foot on the neck of the music industry (deservedly so, there's been some AMAZING rap/trap/r&b that's come out of this era) until recently, and if anything, well, this week. This week's Hot 100 top 10 includes about 7 pop songs, 4 of which occupy the top 4 of the chart, with Ariana's historic 1-2-3 punch of 7 Rings, Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored, and Thank U, Next, and Halsey's Without Me.

We haven't seen this much pop in the top 10 since 2015 or so I'd say, and with Ariana's current reign in the music industry, Gaga's ASIB blowout, other pop gals like Dua, Halsey, and Normani gaining power, and a significant amount of main pop girls having upcoming and highly anticipated releases, I'd definitely say pop is making a large resurgence.

What do you think? wendy1

Just now, Freaky Prince said:

Isn't Ariana currently reigning with an urban album tho? nicki5 

Eh arguably mostly pop and R&B with some urban sprinkled over, I said emerging, not taking over. Of course the sound is gonna stick for a while, considering a lot of urban-poppier crossovers were popular in 2015-16 when urban music started taking over. 

I want it to be true but I don’t think it is. Ari’s current project feels like the most urban entry in a catalogue leaning that way to begin with. 

I DO agree we’re seeing more success for gorls and some positive changes on that front that bode well for pop, but we’re still a long way off from even hinting at the last big pop era when Gaga/Katy/Britney etc were running the game from 2008-12ish. 

12 minutes ago, Emperor Nick said:

Mumble rap, trap and shit hop can fucking die. I'm so glad we are getting some more bops

I know your face...Eowyn.

Rap, trap, and hip hop done well should survive my love. There are far too many "artists" out there making the exact same music. That's the problem. We live in a very sad generation of music unfortunately. You gotta dig real deep to find the goodies. xtina11

1 hour ago, Michael. said:

No

stream Post Malone for clear skin

Something Post lacks

8 minutes ago, Chris Morlock said:

tell him to shower vomit1

Stream Lizzo for clear skin and bops.

I'm honestly wondering how long will trap/hip-hop reign on the charts? I mean, Dance Pop ruled the scene from about 2008-2014(?). I'm curious as to which genre is next in line to be the main sound that pop stars and pop tarts will adhere to next. Crossing my fingers for a resurgence of New Wave mixed with Electronica in the next few years or so. alex1

Dance Pop ruling the charts surely is being missed as well . brit2

8 minutes ago, BlancMac said:

I'm honestly wondering how long will trap/hip-hop reign on the charts? I mean, Dance Pop ruled the scene from about 2008-2014(?). I'm curious as to which genre is next in line to be the main sound that pop stars and pop tarts will adhere to next. Crossing my fingers for a resurgence of New Wave mixed with Electronica in the next few years or so. alex1

Dance Pop ruling the charts surely is being missed as well . brit2

You'll love this song from Slayyyter then sis ari5

3 minutes ago, BlancMac said:

cry2 Why haven't I heard of her before. Such a bop!!!!

She's new! She's great, we're mutuals on Twitter, she just surged in popularity recently because of that song (she had all the twitter fags wrapped around her finger with a 14 second snippet). She's independent and literally makes music over the internet from her bedroom, and works with a lot of queer, gay, and trans folk (esp POC). I live for her, she's the kinda pop I've been missing imo.

Just now, Law said:

She's new! She's great, we're mutuals on Twitter, she just surged in popularity recently because of that song (she had all the twitter fags wrapped around her finger with a 14 second snippet). She's independent and literally makes music over the internet from her bedroom, and works with a lot of queer, gay, and trans folk (esp POC), and I live for her. She's the kinda pop I've been missing imo.

I thought the GP was just sleeping on her talent. 

I've actually been waiting for a new sound other than RNB and Trap and this song really is what I've been looking for. And good for her that she's gaining popularity and I hope that if she gets signed in a label, the label will actually allow her to be in creative control because if that's the kind of music she makes without big name producers and chooses diverse people from different walks of life to collaborate with, then she's even more likely to become successful. xtina7

1 minute ago, BlancMac said:

I thought the GP was just sleeping on her talent. 

I've actually been waiting for a new sound other than RNB and Trap and this song really is what I've been looking for. And good for her that she's gaining popularity and I hope that if she gets signed in a label, the label will actually allow her to be in creative control because if that's the kind of music she makes without big name producers and chooses diverse people from different walks of life to collaborate with, then she's even more likely to become successful. xtina7

You spilled! Also, I highly recommend Alone, I'm High, and BFF, or any of her other singles for that matter. She's honestly as if Britney met Charli and they had some beautiful musician lovechild. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.