Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Freaky Prince

'365' leaves the Hot 100

I just want to know who in their right mind thought this song would be a good idea for Katy Perry. It just shows how tone deaf her and her team are if they thought they can score her a hit on a basic pop dance song like this. 

The song is not bad, but this seems too expired for someone like Katy who hasn’t shown any musical progression since her Teenage Dream days. “365” is just too similar to everything else she’s done. It’s a blend of “ET” with a little bit of “Chained to the Rhythm” which doesn’t work on a 34 year old pop star in the year 2019.

Does she even have a fanbase left? Who is she targeting now exactly? All the teenage girls and kids she had during TD and Prism have moved on to more mature content and the demographic now have younger acts to look to like Ariana and Dua Lipa. There’s simply no room for Katy Perry’s signature brand in pop music anymore and honestly I don’t ever see her having a chart rebound. This is it for her. She was lucky she even had that many #1s and fate stopped her just short of getting a 10th #1. She shouldn’t have even gotten that close anyway. oprah14 

2 hours ago, Agugaga said:

I just want to know who in their right mind thought this song would be a good idea for Katy Perry. It just shows how tone deaf her and her team are if they thought they can score her a hit on a basic pop dance song like this. 

The song is not bad, but this seems too expired for someone like Katy who hasn’t shown any musical progression since her Teenage Dream days. “365” is just too similar to everything else she’s done. It’s a blend of “ET” with a little bit of “Chained to the Rhythm” which doesn’t work on a 34 year old pop star in the year 2019.

Does she even have a fanbase left? Who is she targeting now exactly? All the teenage girls and kids she had during TD and Prism have moved on to more mature content and the demographic now have younger acts to look to like Ariana and Dua Lipa. There’s simply no room for Katy Perry’s signature brand in pop music anymore and honestly I don’t ever see her having a chart rebound. This is it for her. She was lucky she even had that many #1s and fate stopped her just short of getting a 10th #1. She shouldn’t have even gotten that close anyway. oprah14 

For once i have to agree with you mostly.

Witness was a underrated album with poor single choices, i struggle to see what market she's trying to target. The issue with Katy is she never showed any maturity in her music, everything was crafted to appeal to kids. Roar was probably her best attempt at appealing to a wider market, with Witness she was trying far to hard to be hip and just ended up being cringe. The likes of Ariana will probably be better in the long run as her music is more appealing to a wider audience and she's already showing that "sexual" side. 

Personally out of the 4 main pop girls (Bey, Ri, Gaga, Katy) of the late 00s period, Rihanna is doing the best at remaining current and fresh. While she's not really a main pop girl anymore i suspect she'll be a bit like Shakira in that she'll continue to have success for quite a while to come. Gaga and Katy have both come to the end of their careers as it girls. Gaga has already went AC with Katy stuck in a rut. I'm not even sure where Beyonce is at right now. 

38 minutes ago, I Brings That Levity said:

For once i have to agree with you mostly.

Witness was a underrated album with poor single choices, i struggle to see what market she's trying to target. The issue with Katy is she never showed any maturity in her music, everything was crafted to appeal to kids. Roar was probably her best attempt at appealing to a wider market, with Witness she was trying far to hard to be hip and just ended up being cringe. The likes of Ariana will probably be better in the long run as her music is more appealing to a wider audience and she's already showing that "sexual" side. 

Personally out of the 4 main pop girls (Bey, Ri, Gaga, Katy) of the late 00s period, Rihanna is doing the best at remaining current and fresh. While she's not really a main pop girl anymore i suspect she'll be a bit like Shakira in that she'll continue to have success for quite a while to come. Gaga and Katy have both come to the end of their careers as it girls. Gaga has already went AC with Katy stuck in a rut. I'm not even sure where Beyonce is at right now. 

Beyoncé is tricky. She’s still widely successful but is she still considered a pop girl? I don’t think so.

Rihanna has slowly transitioned out of pop. Her last album didn’t do wonders on pop radio but had continued success on other formats like Urban and Rhythmic. She’s probably the most versatile artist as she can go in many directions. Pop is probably too tacky for her now so I suspect she’ll stay in the more Urban lane, while having pop-soul hits like “Love on the brain” and more dance-hall.

There really isn’t a main pop girl right now other than Ariana. I don’t consider the  new girls who have so much more to do to prove themselves like Dua, Bebe, Camila, etc. as main pop girls. They are all basically 1 or 2 hit wonders at this point.

11 hours ago, Agugaga said:

Beyoncé is tricky. She’s still widely successful but is she still considered a pop girl? I don’t think so.

Rihanna has slowly transitioned out of pop. Her last album didn’t do wonders on pop radio but had continued success on other formats like Urban and Rhythmic. She’s probably the most versatile artist as she can go in many directions. Pop is probably too tacky for her now so I suspect she’ll stay in the more Urban lane, while having pop-soul hits like “Love on the brain” and more dance-hall.

There really isn’t a main pop girl right now other than Ariana. I don’t consider the  new girls who have so much more to do to prove themselves like Dua, Bebe, Camila, etc. as main pop girls. They are all basically 1 or 2 hit wonders at this point.

Beyonce to some extent has been irrelevant outside America since Best Thing I Ever Had. That was the last song of hers i can say i ever heard on the radio (around the time it came out). I think she's a bit like Celine now in that she'll still sell out tours, but she'll lack any new hit songs. She may get the odd top 20 but it will be forgotten quickly.  

Rihanna is easily the most versatile, Work was a massive hit, while the other singles done moderately i don't really think she was aiming for anything huge, she served a great album and let the public do the speaking. She has achieved success outside music which i think is a key to stay relevant, regardless of how her next album does Rihanna is the sort of artist who will be well remembered by most for many decades to come.

Little Nostrils can keep going on about how LG6 is going to serve "The Fame 2.0" but in reality we all know it's not, she'll stick AC with maybe a few more uptempo numbers, she knows if she goes dance/pop again she couldn't pull it off. No doubt the lead single on her next album will be "Shallow-esque".  

I think at this point Ariana is established enough to say she's here to stay, at a success point of view she's the next Taylor. Dua is really just the next Ellie Goulding, she'll have a string of hits then be forgotten for eternity. Baby T-Rex is irrelevant and Camel Toe is just living off that Havana song. 

It will be interesting to see how Taylor does in her next era...

1 hour ago, I Brings That Levity said:

Beyonce to some extend has been irrelevant outside America since Best Thing I Ever Had. That was the last song of hers i can say i ever heard on the radio (around the time it came out). I think she's a bit like Celine now in that she'll still sell out tours, but she'll lack any new hit songs. She may get the odd top 20 but it will be forgotten quickly.  

Rihanna is easily the most versatile, Work was a massive hit, while the other singles done moderately i don't really think she was aiming for anything huge, she served a great album and let the public do the speaking. She has achieved success outside music which i think is a key to stay relevant, regardless of how her next album does Rihanna is the sort of artist who will be well remembered by most for many decades to come.

Little Nostrils can keep going on about how LG6 is going to serve "The Fame 2.0" but in reality we all know it's not, she'll stick AC with maybe a few more uptempo numbers, she knows if she goes dance/pop again she couldn't pull it off. No doubt the lead single on her next album will be "Shallow-esque".  

I think at this point Ariana is established enough to say she's here to stay, at a success point of view she's the next Taylor. Dua is really just the next Ellie Goulding, she'll have a string of hits then be forgotten for eternity. Baby T-Rex is irrelevant and Camel Toe is just living off that Havana song. 

It will be interesting to see how Taylor does in her next era...

Who knows with Gaga. During “Born This Way” she made a weird left turn and it’s just been all over the pace since. “Art Pop,” “Ass Cheek to Ass Cheek” and “Joanne” were not what anyone was expecting. So I don’t expect her to be safe and go the “Shallow” route. She’s a much bigger celebrity than to just stick in the soccer-mom hot ac category with artists like Pink and Kelly. I think her music projects will continue to be all over the place. I just hope L6 is actually good cuz her last 3 albums have not been. gaga5 

1 hour ago, I Brings That Levity said:

Beyonce to some extend has been irrelevant outside America since Best Thing I Ever Had. That was the last song of hers i can say i ever heard on the radio (around the time it came out). I think she's a bit like Celine now in that she'll still sell out tours, but she'll lack any new hit songs. She may get the odd top 20 but it will be forgotten quickly.  

Lies xx

10 hours ago, I Brings That Levity said:

I live in the UK and this is absolutely true 

8 hours ago, Urbanov said:

Lies xx

Not sure where you're from sis but, Best Thing I Ever Had was her last hit in the UK. She's only had two top 30 (lead) songs since then, both were never really on the radio and are pretty forgotten outside America. Her chart positions outside the UK and US are pretty tragic ngl. 

20 minutes ago, I Brings That Levity said:

Not sure where you're from sis but, Best Thing I Ever Had was her last hit in the UK. She's only had two top 30 (lead) songs since then, both were never really on the radio and are pretty forgotten outside America. Her chart positions outside the UK and US are pretty tragic ngl. 

Sis I’m from UK and you’re talking shit. Hold Up was on a constant airplay (BBC played it maybe 3 times during my 8 hours shift back then) and it peaked at #11. Runnin’ was a pretty big hit in Europe (peaked at #4 in UK) and it’s definitely not thanks to Arrow Benjamin (does someone actually know any of his songs apart from this one?). It’s still being played regularly on the radios in here. You say she’s irrelevant in UK yet tickets for her Wembley shows were sold out in like 30 minutes (when she was touring with Formation World Tour). Try again 💋

4 hours ago, Urbanov said:

Sis I’m from UK and you’re talking shit. Hold Up was on a constant airplay (BBC played it maybe 3 times during my 8 hours shift back then) and it peaked at #11. Runnin’ was a pretty big hit in Europe (peaked at #4 in UK) and it’s definitely not thanks to Arrow Benjamin (does someone actually know any of his songs apart from this one?). It’s still being played regularly on the radios in here. You say she’s irrelevant in UK yet tickets for her Wembley shows were sold out in like 30 minutes (when she was touring with Formation World Tour). Try again 💋

No one said she's irrelevant, just said she doesn't do well chart wise, but sells out tours in 0.01 seconds which is a pretty fair statement 

12 hours ago, Sean said:

No one said she's irrelevant, just said she doesn't do well chart wise, but sells out tours in 0.01 seconds which is a pretty fair statement 

On 3/13/2019 at 1:39 AM, I Brings That Levity said:

Beyonce to some extent has been irrelevant outside America since Best Thing I Ever Had.

oprah14 

Even chart wise you have to give her credits. Runnin’ did well in Europe. Hold Up also peaked pretty nicely in UK. That’s all I’m saying.

1 hour ago, Urbanov said:

oprah14 

Even chart wise you have to give her credits. Runnin’ did well in Europe. Hold Up also peaked pretty nicely in UK. That’s all I’m saying.

I just think she should be doing better on the charts considering the power of here name here, but it translates to tours well tbh 

3 hours ago, Sean said:

I just think she should be doing better on the charts considering the power of here name here, but it translates to tours well tbh 

She should but bitch doesn’t care about her singles anymore dead2 If she doesn’t then why should her fanbase or GP

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.