Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

lovechristina

How big would an album in 2004 have been?

6 hours ago, Ruthless Love said:

I feel like there might've been a push for an album in 2004 with her summer tour, but when she cancelled that, I just think time was pushed into creating Back to Basics instead.

Part of me thinks that B2B was slated for an 04 release after ha US tour that never happen. I think it would've been much bigger if it was released earlier and her follow up, Bionic would've been more successful for being forward thinking had it been released in 2006 that way she would not have been compared to newer acts. 

6 hours ago, BlancMac said:

Part of me thinks that B2B was slated for an 04 release after ha US tour that never happen. I think it would've been much bigger if it was released earlier and her follow up, Bionic would've been more successful for being forward thinking had it been released in 2006 that way she would not have been compared to newer acts. 

I was thinking like an album that would be a mix of Stripped/B2B so she wouldn't alienate her fans too much and kind of ease into the next era. I think it would've almost matched her debut sales because people were so hyped about what she would do next, what do you think?

13 hours ago, Ruthless Love said:

I feel like there might've been a push for an album in 2004 with her summer tour, but when she cancelled that, I just think time was pushed into creating Back to Basics instead.

I just feel like if after Stripped, she made an album every 2 years her career would be so much bigger 

The tour which was supposed to happen in 2004 would definitely help the album because break would have seemed shorter. B2B sold great although it's not a typical pop album and pop albums were very successful in 2006. She did great job, but unfortunately Bionic flopped ny10

1 hour ago, BackToBasics said:

The tour which was supposed to happen in 2004 would definitely help the album because break would have seemed shorter. B2B sold great although it's not a typical pop album and pop albums were very successful in 2006. She did great job, but unfortunately Bionic flopped ny10

This is too sad for me too because BIONIC is my fave as she really experimented with different elements of electropop; mixing indie sounds with mainstream ones. bebe1

2 hours ago, lovechristina said:

I was thinking like an album that would be a mix of Stripped/B2B so she wouldn't alienate her fans too much and kind of ease into the next era. I think it would've almost matched her debut sales because people were so hyped about what she would do next, what do you think?

I agree but we're talking about Xtina here who gets bored with sound easily. Hence the dramatic changes she made with Xtina, Baby Jane, C/X and for her non alter-ego in Liberation.

(I won't include Locktus because I don't even know her concept behind that album gaga5)

2 hours ago, BlancMac said:

This is too sad for me too because BIONIC is my fave as she really experimented with different elements of electropop; mixing indie sounds with mainstream ones. bebe1

Yeah but unfortunately Gaga&Perez happened

On 3/6/2019 at 3:32 PM, BlancMac said:

I agree but we're talking about Xtina here who gets bored with sound easily. Hence the dramatic changes she made with Xtina, Baby Jane, C/X and for her non alter-ego in Liberation.

(I won't include Locktus because I don't even know her concept behind that album gaga5)

I know, but that severely damaged her career. People don't look for Christina when they want a trendy pop-star, they want her timeless vocals. That's why they hold her to such high standards. It worked for Madonna because she is pure pop and she made catchy pop albums ever 2 years during her career. 

She's lacking a couple of timeless soulful pop albums with mega hits that would keep her relevant and critically acclaimed (Like a Prayer, Back to Black, 21). 

Look at how she mishandled B2B: Some songs were great but the rest were self indulgent fillers and she only released 3 singles and barely promoted it not to mention refused to cut it down to one disc or make it qualified for double certification; she sabotaged herself multiple times for no reason. It was only her third album, so it was a bad idea to not only release a niche record but refuse to promote it. 

4 hours ago, lovechristina said:

I know, but that severely damaged her career. People don't look for Christina when they want a trendy pop-star, they want her timeless vocals. That's why they hold her to such high standards. It worked for Madonna because she is pure pop and she made catchy pop albums ever 2 years during her career. 

She's lacking a couple of timeless soulful pop albums with mega hits that would keep her relevant and critically acclaimed (Like a Prayer, Back to Black, 21). 

Look at how she mishandled B2B: Some songs were great but the rest were self indulgent fillers and she only released 3 singles and barely promoted it not to mention refused to cut it down to one disc or make it qualified for double certification; she sabotaged herself multiple times for no reason. It was only her third album, so it was a bad idea to not only release a niche record but refuse to promote it. 

I think Hurt (no pun intended) actually hurt the success of that album. If I remember correctly, Candyman was such a delayed and low key third single release. She should have released that as the second single within weeks of ANOM. Then perhaps Slow Down Baby third, or that Pepsi commercial version of Here To Stay (below) before then releasing Hurt.

I always thought Tilt Cha Head Back would have slotted in well on the B2B album and would have done better as a third single rather than released in the post B2B Carwash lull period. 

As talented as she is, other than the Stripped era, all her other slow singles have not done the album momentum any favours.

I also LOVED Tell Me and Castle Walls. TM should have still been played years later, and it’s a crime that CW was never released.

On 3/8/2019 at 8:36 PM, Bionic-Boy-84 said:

I think Hurt (no pun intended) actually hurt the success of that album. If I remember correctly, Candyman was such a delayed and low key third single release. She should have released that as the second single within weeks of ANOM. Then perhaps Slow Down Baby third, or that Pepsi commercial version of Here To Stay (below) before then releasing Hurt.

I always thought Tilt Cha Head Back would have slotted in well on the B2B album and would have done better as a third single rather than released in the post B2B Carwash lull period. 

As talented as she is, other than the Stripped era, all her other slow singles have not done the album momentum any favours.

I also LOVED Tell Me and Castle Walls. TM should have still been played years later, and it’s a crime that CW was never released.

I just think she should've focused on building a fanbase and then start making niche albums that aren't heavily promoted. She alienated her debut fans with Stripped, alienated her Stripped fans with B2B, then alienated her B2B fans with Bionic. I know she's trying to emulate Madonna; but Madonna had 4 successful pop albums before she started radically changing her sound. She needed maybe 2-3 timeless hit albums 

And yes Slow Down Baby/Candy man should've been released right after ANOM to keep up the momentum

On 3/9/2019 at 9:36 AM, Bionic-Boy-84 said:

You Lost Me Also did this to BIONIC. As much as I love YLM, I feel like she shouldn't have released is as a second single. If you're going in a hypersexual road, just give it all. Woohoo, Desnudate and Prima Donna should've been released as follow up singles and YLM as the last one. 

57 minutes ago, BlancMac said:

You Lost Me Also did this to BIONIC. As much as I love YLM, I feel like she shouldn't have released is as a second single. If you're going in a hypersexual road, just give it all. Woohoo, Desnudate and Prima Donna should've been released as follow up singles and YLM as the last one. 

Christina had nothing to lose after Not Myself Tonight. She should have done a killer video for Woo Hoo and released that. I think her record label also released YLM second to soften her overtly sexual image at that stage. 

8 hours ago, Bionic-Boy-84 said:

Christina had nothing to lose after Not Myself Tonight. She should have done a killer video for Woo Hoo and released that. I think her record label also released YLM second to soften her overtly sexual image at that stage. 

It was a stupid move. They should've embraced the rob sex kitten alter ego and ran with it. 

10 hours ago, BlancMac said:

It was a stupid move. They should've embraced the rob sex kitten alter ego and ran with it. 

Absolutely! I don’t know how Glam would have faired as a single but the video to that would be interesting too. I think that was meant to be the comeback single before NMT was suddenly recorded and released.

Anything she released between 2003-2008 would have sold well. Unfortunately, she waited too long between B2b and bionic, many fans moved on. Also the eras are getting shorter and shorter... with fewer and fewer music videos.

I don't know how I'm still here, I was about to give up my stan card last year, but then the Lib Tour happened, and it renewed my stan card moo1 This year I'm excited to see what the Xperience will bring (even though I won't go to USA 2nd time moo1) and the tour in Europe. Hopefully, that "special" album will be released soon? (2020?) and not another 5 years wait gaga1moo1

22 hours ago, STJ said:

Anything she released between 2003-2008 would have sold well. Unfortunately, she waited too long between B2b and bionic, many fans moved on. Also the eras are getting shorter and shorter... with fewer and fewer music videos.

I don't know how I'm still here, I was about to give up my stan card last year, but then the Lib Tour happened, and it renewed my stan card moo1 This year I'm excited to see what the Xperience will bring (even though I won't go to USA 2nd time moo1) and the tour in Europe. Hopefully, that "special" album will be released soon? (2020?) and not another 5 years wait gaga1moo1

Yeah, the problem with B2B was that it wasn't serious enough to push her into Adult Contemporary (It wasn't as good as 21, Ray of Light, Back to Black) but it wasn't relevant enough to be welcomed by pop fans so she was stuck in this weird place. Maybe if it had a mega hit it could've worked.

(I remember someone saying that if she doubled her output on each era she'd be untouchable). But she really needed a couple more timeless hit albums 

On 3/8/2019 at 8:36 PM, Bionic-Boy-84 said:

"Candyman" was the intended second single from Back to Basics, but RCA pushed the release of "Hurt" to try and mirror the success of releasing "Beautiful" after "Dirrty" back in 2002; it backfired on them, so they tried it again with "You Lost Me" from Bionic (despite "Woohoo" being the original second single, but scrapped due to the reception of "Not Myself Tonight"). RCA ruined Christina's career, and she just did not make matters better.

23 hours ago, STJ said:

Unfortunately, she waited too long between B2b and bionic, many fans moved on. Also the eras are getting shorter and shorter... with fewer and fewer music videos.

If anything she should have pushed for Bionic to come in 2009 following the release of the greatest hits, but production on Burlesque delayed that from happening.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.