Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Vesper

2011 - Best recent year of pop music?

12 hours ago, Vesper said:

So many different answers nat1 but what year had the highest concentration of top pop girls reigning?

Britney, Christina, Mandy, Successica...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Willa.

Ten Years Later

Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Kety......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Justine Beiber, ( I wanted to add Taylor but she's still releasing country music in 2009)

2011 was definitely one of the worst years of pop music besides "21" by Adele and Rihanna ending one era and entering her next cycle.

Britney released a few irrelevant forgotten hits in her most robotic form ever. 

Gaga's "Born This Way" era was annoying as fuck and just didn't deliver (although the album was good...the single choices, video and visuals were not). 

Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" era was stretched out to death by this point. "E.T" was hot but after that the era was milked dry.

Kesha was annoying as fuck

So yeah. Find me a better year. nat1  

2011 was an overload of dr puke produced garbage and calvin harris trash and just electropop boringness. It was a fun time because of all the pop girls competing but quality wise it was a disgusting era brit12

1999/2000, 2007 and 2014 were better years imo

16 minutes ago, ShutUpRae said:

2011 was an overload of dr puke produced garbage and calvin harris trash and just electropop boringness. It was a fun time because of all the pop girls competing but quality wise it was a disgusting era brit12

1999/2000, 2007 and 2014 were better years imo

1999/2000 and 2009/2010 were the best years in my opinion.

1999 had a lot of pop classics come out of that year and i'm still trying to find someone who can show me another year this happened. 

Baby One More Time

Livin Lavida Loca

No Scrubs

Genie In a Bottle

I Want It That Way

Specifically. 

1 hour ago, Agugaga said:

1999/2000 and 2009/2010 were the best years in my opinion.

1999 had a lot of pop classics come out of that year and i'm still trying to find someone who can show me another year this happened. 

Baby One More Time

Livin Lavida Loca

No Scrubs

Genie In a Bottle

I Want It That Way

Specifically. 

2011 -

We Found Love

Firework

Someone Like You

Rolling In The Deep

On The Floor

Moves Like Jagger

All pretty substantial hits. But the point was 2011 had so many pop girls releasing, whereas 1999 was was Britney, Xtina and TLC? 

3 minutes ago, Vesper said:

2011 -

We Found Love

Firework

Someone Like You

Rolling In The Deep

On The Floor

Moves Like Jagger

All pretty substantial hits that lasted don’t you think?

True but the pop divas in particular were kind of delivering the same old tired dr lune formula. The pink/Kelly/Kesha sound I guess just wasn’t my T. 

Also “Firework” and “We Found Love” weren’t the best but just were fueled by star power. Whereas those hits I mentioned in 1999 were mostly from new artists/comeback artists.

I would say “Firework” was a 2010 hit since it peaked during that year anyway.

On that note 2010 was much better;

Bad Romance (peaked in early 10 so we are placing it in this year)

California Gurls

Teenage Dream

Telephone 

Only Girl In the World

Tik Tok

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

2011 -

We Found Love

Firework

Someone Like You

Rolling In The Deep

On The Floor

Moves Like Jagger

All pretty substantial hits. But the point was 2011 had so many pop girls releasing, whereas 1999 was was Britney, Xtina and TLC? 

Successica Snepson says hi!

Spoiler

sha1

Was TLC bigger than Destiny's Child?

Although I must admit TLC had better songs.

I'm not so sure.

I've put the top #30 from the 2011 Year-End Hot100 chart in the spoiler below.

As you'll see it's very hit and miss, there's great songs and then there's forgotten trash. Who the fuck listens to Party Rock Anthem these days. I know i'll get lots of hate for saying this, but many of Kesha's early stuff was quite basic and forgettable. 

I'd say on the whole it was a decent year, but 2012 and 2013 were easily better.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.