Grimes talks about new album, calls Art Angels “a piece of crap”

Urbanov    45,385

Grimes has given another interview about her upcoming new album, Miss_Anthropocene. In this one, which was done with Cultured magazine, she has some harsh words for her last album, Art Angels. “The last album was a piece of crap,” she said. “I feel like people really misread it and it feels like a stain on my life.” 

We here at Stereogum named it the best album of 2015 so … hard disagree! 

Claire “c” Boucher went on to say that she regretted the framing of the album as a pop record, likening it more to a genre exercise. “I just wish I could make music in a vacuum.” Boucher said. “It’s good to make people mad actually, I retract my statement. If you can make people mad without actually hurting anyone, that’s probably a good thing.” 

Elsewhere in the interview, she shaded in more detail about her new environmentally-focused album: “It’s sort of about this demon of the end of the world, this character that’s like the Voldemort of climate change. She’s relishing the end of the world, and it’s an album about how great fucking climate change is.” 

She talks about a few specific songs again, too, including “So Heavy I Fell Through The Earth,” which this time she says is about “specifically how when a dude comes inside you, you become in their thrall — how it’s an attack on your feminist freedom.” On that note, she continues, referring to her relationship with Elon Musk:

It’s sad how love can be this beautiful thing, but then love is the thing that’s fucking up my career. The biggest change for me this year is losing my hardcore masculinity. I used to just be free—free of all this bullshit that it seemed like all the other girls were going through, and now I feel like I’m not.

full interview: https://www.culturedmag.com/grimes-claire-boucher-c/

Dr. Slay    28,186
Just now, Freaky Prince said:

Electric chair for every single artist that talks shit about their past work oprah14

Poor Marina

Dr. Slay    28,186
4 minutes ago, Freaky Prince said:

What album has she hated on? oprah14

Im pretty sure Electra Heart and she also hates Shampain

Hylia    81,894
8 minutes ago, Freaky Prince said:

Electric chair for every single artist that talks shit about their past work oprah14

Tea

Hylia    81,894
10 minutes ago, Urbanov said:

“So Heavy I Fell Through The Earth,” which this time she says is about “specifically how when a dude comes inside you, you become in their thrall — how it’s an attack on your feminist freedom.”

Maybe my wig was snatched

Now just give us a new single, release date, SOMETHING

Agent X    6,823

jj3

If her next album won't be catchy like Art Angels, I am not interested. trash1 

Freaky Prince    31,551
2 minutes ago, Dr. Slay said:

Im pretty sure Electra Heart and she also hates Shampain

She still praises EH for its concept every time I watch an interview.

Hating on one song is reasonable nicki5

Urbanov    45,385

Art Angels is cute but I would never forgive her if she ever talked shit about Visions nicki5 

Venom    5,800
17 minutes ago, Freaky Prince said:

RIP Marina (Electra Heart, "Shampain"), Selena Gomez (Stars Dance), Madonna ("Like a Virgin"), Miley Cyrus ("Party in the USA"), Gaga ("Telephone", "Money Honey"), etc moo10

Madonna    38,063

I can see why she hates on Art Angels honestly. It's so different from anything else she's released and I think she hates the fact that it feels like a "sellout" album for her because it was very "pop".

Urbanov    45,385
13 minutes ago, Madonna said:

I can see why she hates on Art Angels honestly. It's so different from anything else she's released and I think she hates the fact that it feels like a "sellout" album for her because it was very "pop".

Tea but to call it crap is a nonsense cause it’s still a pretty good album

Venom    5,800
29 minutes ago, Madonna said:

The way she worded it, it doesn't seem like she truly hates the album itself, just that she has a negative opinion of the era due to it being framed in the wrong genre, misinterpreted by audiences, etc. Which is pretty understandable, tbh! And I'm sure Marina for example mainly just dislikes Electra Heart for the fact nothing in it's era went according to plan, the project she originally intended to release for her second album getting sloppily merged with her planned side project, etc.

Madonna    38,063
6 minutes ago, Venom said:

The way she worded it, it doesn't seem like she truly hates the album itself, just that she has a negative opinion of the era due to it being framed in the wrong genre, misinterpreted by audiences, etc. Which is pretty understandable, tbh! And I'm sure Marina for example mainly just dislikes Electra Heart for the fact nothing in it's era went according to plan, the project she originally intended to release for her second album getting sloppily merged with her planned side project, etc.

Pretty sure Gaga would also say she hates "ARTPOP" for the same reason MARINA hates EH. But Gaga is a bit too vain to admit that one of her albums is a piece of crap. ari9 

Shane    816

Pretty sure when Art Angels was coming out Grimes said Visions was full of filler so I don't take this too literally. She seems obsessed with reinvention so shitting on her past work time and time again doesn't surprise me ari8 (still perched for the new album tho)

Venom    5,800
8 minutes ago, Shane said:

Your pfp... gaga2

Shane    816
2 minutes ago, Venom said:

Your pfp... gaga2

ik ik, the drama between the two had me on edge cry4

Venom    5,800
1 minute ago, Shane said:

ik ik, the drama between the two had me on edge cry4

Well Grimes and Poppy's beef didnt exactly have me on edge, it just left me even more annoyed with Poppy after already strongly disliking her for all she's done to Mars Argo, as well as the fact Poppy fabricated her own abuse claims about some innocent man (who I also stanned) who did nothing but rightfully beat the shit out of Titanic once creep1