Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

ajp

Paris Notre-Dame Cathedral Fire Now Out

Just now, Ruthless Love said:

I doubt it's going to be salvaged. Given that everything is collapsing in, I'm pretty sure it's lost at this point.

This was Notre-Dame at 2:30 pm local time in France (prior to the fire):

Shame.

God this is so sad. I've always been an architecture-nerd and I've always loved it and anything related to (Hunchback is one of my favorite stories/movies). I was so excited to see it finally ugh. I can't even imagine people in France and losing such an iconic landmark and piece of history.

1 minute ago, CHANEL #1 said:

God this is so sad. I've always been an architecture-nerd and I've always loved it and anything related to (Hunchback is one of my favorite stories/movies). I was so excited to see it finally ugh. I can't even imagine people in France and losing such an iconic landmark and piece of history.

I can't even imagine having to view this in real-time. I had to see a church in a neighbouring town completely burn down and it's such an eerie sight to see.

Just now, ajp said:

It appears that wind is spreading the flames to the front edifice cry5

The front is burnt; I'm pretty sure it's not surviving this devastation.

4 minutes ago, Aidan. said:

Oh my god this is absolutely terrible

Hope no one is hurt and they learn what started it ASAP

They're believing that the recent renovations is what caused the fire, as judging from images and footage, that's where the fire seemed to be starting around.

2 minutes ago, Ruthless Love said:

They're believing that the recent renovations is what caused the fire, as judging from images and footage, that's where the fire seemed to be starting around.

Perhaps it was a power tool or electrical malfunction that started it

5 minutes ago, Ruthless Love said:

As horrible as this is (just the act of trying to save and protect the church, brought it down), I'm so glad to hear this. The second I saw the news I was so afraid it was some kind of terrorist attack targeting beloved landmarks. 

Still this whole thing is devastating.

4 minutes ago, Aidan. said:

Perhaps it was a power tool or electrical malfunction that started it

Who knows. But, if you look at images, where the main portion of the fire was is where the fire was beginning. I don't know if anyone was on the cathedral when it began.

Just now, CHANEL #1 said:

As horrible as this is (just the act of trying to save and protect the church, brought it down), I'm so glad to hear this. The second I saw the news I was so afraid it was some kind of terrorist attack targeting beloved landmarks. 

Still this whole thing is devastating.

It is devastating. I'm sure once the fire is contained, whether it be stopped or when the cathedral is decimated, I'm sure they'll try and find out the cause of the fire.

3 minutes ago, Ruthless Love said:

Who knows. But, if you look at images, where the main portion of the fire was is where the fire was beginning. I don't know if anyone was on the cathedral when it began.

True, I am sure they will investigate very quickly once its out

1 minute ago, Ruthless Love said:

According to ABC News, it's been burning for about 90 minutes, and was initially targeted between two towers. No word on if anything can or will be saved.

It seems like much of the roof will suffer damage to the point of complete failure, but much of the structure is made of stone, isn't it? I don't think it'll be completely destroyed. 

Just now, fab said:

It seems like much of the roof will suffer damage to the point of complete failure, but much of the structure is made of stone, isn't it? I don't think it'll be completely destroyed. 

No word yet. There ARE first responders at the cathedral now. It does appear they are trying to do all they can to save things, but it does seem like resources are still not as powerful as they require.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.