Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

ajp

Paris Notre-Dame Cathedral Fire Now Out

Emergency responders tried to save the art and religious artefacts kept in the Cathedral. According to a spokesperson for the Cathedral, some of the artwork had already been removed prior to the renovations, while most of the sacred relics were held in its sacristry, which was unlikely to be damaged by the fire

I think what’s horrible about this is the fact that there isn’t rebuilding or renovating or restoration that can be done at this point. This isn’t just a small contained flame in the corner of the chapel that can be blocked off while it gets fixed. The architecture is purely 12th century genius that modern day architects still haven’t quite figured out. Pieces of art that can never be replicated. There’s no bringing this back from the rubble. Even if they are to rebuild, it’s not the same. It won’t be the same materials they used back then, everything would just be slightly, I dont know, off? I’m just so sad that so much history and beauty and magic is being burned away in front of our eyes.

1 minute ago, Divine said:

I think what’s horrible about this is the fact that there isn’t rebuilding or renovating or restoration that can be done at this point. This isn’t just a small contained flame in the corner of the chapel that can be blocked off while it gets fixed. The architecture is purely 12th century genius that modern day architects still haven’t quite figured out. Pieces of art that can never be replicated. There’s no bringing this back from the rubble. Even if they are to rebuild, it’s not the same. It won’t be the same materials they used back then, everything would just be slightly, I dont know, off? I’m just so sad that so much history and beauty and magic is being burned away in front of our eyes.

Part of me really wants to say not to restore/rebuild; keep it as some kind of historic resting ground, and whatever is left standing, let it stand as a memorial.

Wait I didn't realize how much of an impact this just had, everything will be so different now when it comes to the Notre Dame? The pictures, the story, the way it went from the indestructable cathedral to just a forgein structure. :( 

8 minutes ago, CHANEL #1 said:

They should keep whatever outer structure remains and build a memorial park in the center surrounding by the remaining stone.

Exactly, because if they were to rebuild the cathedral, it just would not be the same. It would feel... wrong..? Keep what remains. Protect it and memorialize it.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.