Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

ajp

Paris Notre-Dame Cathedral Fire Now Out

26 minutes ago, Ruthless Love said:

President Macron suggests they will re-build the cathedral.

Isn’t that something that the Catholic Church should decide? brit14

4 minutes ago, fab said:

no rip4 Notre Dame is owned by France 

Oh gaga12

I read that Macron will be setting up an international fund for donations to rebuild. 

1 hour ago, Ruthless Love said:

Exactly, because if they were to rebuild the cathedral, it just would not be the same. It would feel... wrong..? Keep what remains. Protect it and memorialize it.

It's what they did in my city with one of our oldest churches. It was bombed during World War II and wasn't rebuilt to serve as a memorial to the victims of WWII and the bombing of Hiroshima.

aegidienkirche_1894.jpg

3595090_web.jpg

Aegidienkirche_alias_400x300px.jpg

19 minutes ago, Mariah's 18 #1's said:

so no major damage at all then? 

Except the whole roof, spire etc. Not to mention there will be water and smoke damage.

Very sad to see such a historic landmark like this.

6 hours ago, Luca said:

Can you believe this church went through wars and storms only for it to be destroyed by a fucking FIRE?

And what’s terribly ironic is that they think it started around the strange of restoration... the exact opposite reaction. 

So, it turns out there are still [some] flames within the cathedral burning, and fire response will be continuing work throughout the night to continue to extinguish. Some relics were removed prior to the major blaze, including the Crown of Thorns.

I'm super late, but my goodness... As a history buff, this was painful to watch. Especially reading about the potentially ruined artifacts. I read that the wood used to build the frame of the church, which was lost in the fire, was built between 1160 and 1170, from trees that sprouted likely during the 8th or 9th century rip3 and just as painful is the spire collapsing, and the 13th century stained glass window melting... I'm so glad the fire is out now, I hope a large majority of the artifacts have been saved.

so a friend of mine said that the fire mightve been started due to the sparks coming off of one of the tools used to restore the roof. she's been around construction most of her 17 year life.

but yeah, this is fucking devastating.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.