Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Aidan.

My Madonna Albums Ranking

giphy.gif

Alright I might be throwing myself to the dogs making this but I feel like doing it so

giphy.gif

I will be ranking her 13 main studio albums - So no I'm Breathless etc

Ranked least fave to most fave mad4 Also will be pointing out my fave tracks mad4

Thirteen

Spoiler

Rebel Heart

I honestly do not even have any harsh lashings for this album really

I feel really overwhelmed by this album because of how large it is and overall it feels like an incredibly mixed bag

Some songs are great then some are terrible and forgettable

Fave Tracks - Ghosttown | Rebel Heart

Twelve

Spoiler

Hard Candy

This is the second Madonna album I truly experienced when it was released - I recall perching for it and listening to it on a trip to Ireland

This album does feel fairly cohesive but has a couple moments that kind of blow apart that cohesiveness

Overall an okay album but I do not have many tracks I come back to on this one either

Fave Tracks - She's Not Me | Give It 2 Me

Eleven

Spoiler

MDNA

I really thought I liked HC more than MDNA for the longest time but I realized that I actually prefer this one

I don't care much for most of the album but there are some undeniable bops here that I cannot resist

I think she did well at creating some good bops but the album does not have much to offer beyond that

Fave Tracks - Girl Gone Wild | Gang Bang | I'm Addicted | Masterpiece | Turn Up The Radio wendy3 | I Don't Give A wendy3

Ten

Spoiler

Madonna

Whew this is an album full of absolute classics

I honestly learned of Madonna's early work through hearing the songs in public and Holiday, Lucky Star and Borderline still receive general play in public to this day

Hearing these songs bring back good memories and beyond that - This is a fairly solid debut

I do not really think much of the album tracks but the singles are iconic and well done

Fave Tracks - Borderline | Burning Up | Holiday

Nine

Spoiler

Like A Virgin

Another album full of classics however this album feels more Fillerish than her debut

The album tracks are mostly forgettable though one of them is a guilty bop of mine wendy3

The singles really make this album again though and for that reason make this album iconic

Fave Tracks - Material Girl | Angel | Like A Virgin | Dress You Up | Into The Groove (Whoever planned the reissue is a bitch for not including this) | Shoo-Bee-Doo wendy3

Eight

Spoiler

True Blue

I honestly disliked this album for the longest time but went back to it several times last year and realized its a pretty solid piece of work

It is again an album that is really made by its singles but it for sure feels like her 1st album to really have a piece of what Madonna truly is about in it - Which is pretty typical by a 3rd album

Fave Tracks - Open Your Heart | Live To Tell | La Isla Bonita | Where's The Party wendy3

Seven

Spoiler

American Life

An album that probably deserves to be higher - However I have had trouble fully getting into it

I think it has some real stand outs and is a very cohesive body of work but I can't get it to hit that sweet spot for me

That being said this album was a bold move for Madonna and she is to be commended for being so fucking badass and risking her ass yet again

Fave Tracks - American Life | Love Profusion | Hollywood

Six

Spoiler

Music

Another album I thought I disliked but I am Boo Boo The Fool and turns out this album is actually great

Overall it feels very laid back and calm while still having its boppy moments

I can remember my parents buying this and playing it through our house on the speakers - It brings me right back to the early 2000s

I absolutely love the production on a lot of these tracks as well - It's rich and polished perfectly

Fave Tracks - Impressive Instant | Amazing | Nobody's Perfect | Don't Tell Me | Paradise (Not For Me)

Five

Spoiler

Like A Prayer

A truly iconic piece of pop culture where Madonna truly turned on her complete badassery and gave absolutely no fucks

There are some songs on this album that are safe enough to lure in the public - But then you have the likes of Like A Prayer and its music video and Oh Father that show a new side of Madonna

Fave Tracks - Like A Prayer | Express Yourself | Cherish | Oh Father | Keep It Together | (Pray For) Spanish Eyes

Four

Spoiler

Confessions On A Dance Floor

The 1st Madonna album I truly actually experienced as a fan when it came out

I think I must have literally made my Mom insane from how much I played it - It was all I listened to for months

I feel like this is the most cohesive album she has ever made - It is so expertly put together and polished off with a lot of love and care (Stuart Price really knows how to work his magic)

This album also has many stand outs and you cannot deny the absolute boppitude of the whole thing

Fave Tracks - Hung Up | Get Together | Future Lovers | Let It Will Be | How High | Isaac | Like It Or Not

Three

Spoiler

Ray Of Light

Ok don't drag me for not putting this at number one nicki5

This is an absolute masterpiece but there are a couple tracks that I feel drag down the album so for that reason it is here

This album is written and produced near perfectly - The whole thing has this amazing sort of airiness to it

While it has its dark moments it feels like there is a literal ray of light running through the whole thing in the end

Also - My earliest Madonna memory is being scared by the Nothing Really Matters video on TV fall8

Fave Tracks - Ray Of Light | Swim | Candy Perfume Girl | Nothing Really Matters | Sky Fits Heaven | The Power Of Good-Bye | To Have And Not To Hold

Two

Spoiler

Erotica

I am honestly such a sucker for the sounds that run throughout this album

I love the mix of early 90s house, RNB, hip hop and trip hop

It also has this kind of dirty and unpolished production style that works so well here

The album is not overly explicit but takes on some really dark themes in places - I think one of if not her most overlooked piece of work

She really took a risk again here with tackling sexuality, the darker sides of sex and also AIDS

These topics are approached creatively and maturely

Fave Tracks - Erotica | Fever | Bye Bye Baby | Deeper And Deeper | Where Life Begins | Well fuck its literally the whole thing tbh except for the last three tracks on the 14 track version nicki5

One

Spoiler

Bedtime Stories

I can feel the mob gathering outside my rep points already nicki5

Anygay - I absolutely love this album and I will NOT be sorry about that

It's one of those rare albums where I like every single song - Literally every single one gets me bopping in some sort of way

The RNB and Pop fusion is something I really like and I think this album masters that very well

The album also contains some of her grandest and almost over the top productions such as Love Tried To Welcome Me and Take A Bow

Not to mention how fucking amazing the title track is - Flawless production and weirdly intriguing - Especially with the video to go along with it (And actually funnily enough - I think it's the one track on the album that breaks the cohesiveness)

Fave Tracks - Well all of them nicki5

Don't drag me too hard nicki5

oprah2 i dont agree with some things but interesting choices and points. I had the same with True Blue i couldn't get into it that much and song itself was nothing special for me until RHT where she performed that stripped down version and i was standing there in a crowd and it hit me how good this song really is! I came back home and i played whole record again from start to end and i had completly different feelings about it and it made me appreciate it more. It jumped few spots up in my personal ranking. 

3 minutes ago, Jjang said:

So you view that piece of shit as experimental and daring, but this as boring and not creative? Nice taste man. 

Secret Garden is good. The rest is lazy and bring, yes. Waiting is a rehashed Justify My Love and Where Life Begins tries too hard to be something it's not (just like the entire album). Erotica is too unpolished, the songs are not memorable and lack the melodies. Some songs even use the same exact backing track. It's terrible, which is a shame cause a lot of the demos sounded way better than the final product.

2 minutes ago, Madonna said:

Secret Garden is good. The rest is lazy and bring, yes. Waiting is a rehashed Justify My Love and Where Life Begins tries too hard to be something it's not (just like the entire album). Erotica is too unpolished, the songs are not memorable and lack the melodies. Some songs even use the same exact backing track. It's terrible, which is a shame cause a lot of the demos sounded way better than the final product.

It was designed to sound the way it does, and that’s what makes it timeless. I’m not gonna argue, I’ll just tell you it’s ironic that you can’t see how everything you’re saying Erotica fell short off can be applied ten times harder on Holy Water

1 minute ago, Jjang said:

It was designed to sound the way it does, and that’s what makes it timeless. I’m not gonna argue, I’ll just tell you it’s ironic that you can’t see how everything you’re saying Erotica fell short off can be applied ten times harder on Holy Water

It was designed that way and I hate it because it makes it sound DATED.

I disagree I don't think Holy Water sounds particularly reminiscent of a certain era in music just like most of Kanye's production. His music doesn't follow certain trends. Erotten sounds very typically early 90s but even more so than any of her other albums from that era. Bedtime Stories also sounds slightly dated but it's so well-produced and polished that it has aged quite well.

1 minute ago, Unapologetic Bitch said:

There's no need to discuss if erotica is a masterpiece and iconic. Cos it simply is oprah14

Not in my book, no. People overrate this shit because they think it deserves some sort of justice when it really doesn't. She wanted to make an album that would cause controversy and sounds like a b-movie soundtrack. She did that and it backfired and flopped. It's nowhere near her best, it will never be cause it just doesn't match the musical standards she has set for herself with most of her other records. 

An album where a great part of the songs are just READ and not even sung cannot be better than Ray of Light, Like a Prayer or COADF which combine all of her musical strengths and strengths as an artist. 

5 hours ago, Madonna said:

It was designed that way and I hate it because it makes it sound DATED.

I disagree I don't think Holy Water sounds particularly reminiscent of a certain era in music just like most of Kanye's production. His music doesn't follow certain trends. Erotten sounds very typically early 90s but even more so than any of her other albums from that era. Bedtime Stories also sounds slightly dated but it's so well-produced and polished that it has aged quite well.

Once again, the 'unpolished' sound you're referring to was intentionally designed to sound like that, Madonna publicly stated that "She wanted Erotica to have a raw edge to it, as if it were recorded in an alley in Harlem, and not a light glossy production to permeate her sound." Just because you're clueless of that soundscape and its' textures doesn't dismiss the value of that production. It's like playing ignorant when you hear the auto tune in the Music album, that decision was led by her artistic license, not as a result of laziness or short comings. In my opinion it's her 2nd most well produced album after Ray of Light. And spare that little monster "omg it borrowed from a musical trend!! it's bad!!" logic, that's just embarrassing, just because the soundscape sounded contemporary back then doesn't make it any less progressive, thought forward and evoking on a production level. It was aesthetically on trend. Just like Ray of Light was with late 90's European Electronica music. 

What makes Erotica so special, and what you don't seem to get (seeing how you're one of those people who jerk off to accessible Pop music, but are too proud to accept that so they lure other people into thinking they're listening to something *unique*) is that the songs take their time to evolve and make their statements, you can't predict the pattern/structures if you just listen to the first 30 seconds, or even minute of them. That's extremely rare in Pop music and Pop fags who only like to chew on Pop nuggets sound bites hate those songs, that's why Rocket by Beyoncé is so under-appreciated ( @Urbanov I hope you agree, lol).

I mean, here you are trying to argue that the repetitive grandma song that just goes "don't it taste like holy water brit15??" forty fucking times (and that's not counting the embarrassing bitch get off my pole lines) and then samples Vogue for the sole and dumb reason that "they sound alike!! haha!" (she literally said that lol) and calls it a day - is somehow daring, experimental, and creative, but a concept album that is expertly curated (esp. in terms of sound, don't you dare telling me the merge of jazz-house, acid, trip hop - dance music was done before on a mainstream level) explores how sexual acts are related to dark thoughts, trauma and guilt is trash. 

And just for the record, as for Waiting:

Melody (1) - "Don't go breaking my heart, like you said you would... / life has taught me that love".

Melody (2) - "Finally I see a different man, only love can hurt like this can... / tell me who is going to take my place".

Melody (3) - "I know it from the start that you would desert me... / please don't hurt me" .

Melody (4) - "Waiting for you, just waiting... / don't break my heart".

And then you have that gorgeous piano breakdowns post - bridge + in the outro, and those spoken lyrics: 

"Well, I know from experience
That if you have to ask for something more than once or twice
It wasn't yours in the first place
And that's hard to accept when you love someone
And you're led to believe in their moment of need
That they want what you want but they don't

It was so easy in the beginning
When you didn't feel like running from your feelings like you are now
What happened?
What do I remind you of?
Your past, your dreams
Or some part of yourself that you just can't love?
I wish I could believe you
Or at least have the courage to leave you"

SxBkY4S.gif

But some grandma going DOn'T iT tAsTE liKE HoLY WaTeR!! x40 thinking it's a smart innuendo is revolutionary, okay. ari1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.