Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Phoebe

Rank 'Erotica'

1. Waiting
  2. Where Life Begins
  3. Words
  4. Erotica
  5. Deeper and Deeper
  6. Bad Girl
  7. Secret Garden
  8. Fever
  9. Thief of Hearts
  10. Why's It So Hard?
  11. Rain
  12. Bye Bye Baby
  13. In This Life
  14. Did You Do It?

i wonder what's @Madonna's ranking of this masterpiece? nat1

Rain
 Deeper and Deeper
 Erotica
 Bad Girl
 Where Life Begins
 Waiting
 Words
 Fever
 Thief of Hearts
 Bye Bye Baby
 Why's It So Hard
 In This Life
 Secret Garden
 Did You Do It?
48 minutes ago, Rachel Green said:
  1. Waiting
  2. Where Life Begins
  3. Words
  4. Bad Girl
  5. Erotica
  6. Deeper and Deeper
  7. Fever
  8. Thief of Hearts
  9. Secret Garden
  10. Why's It So Hard
  11. Rain
  12. In This Life
  13. Bye Bye Baby
  14. Did You Do It?

i wonder what's @Madonna's ranking of this masterpiece  album? nat1

Very different from yours. nat1 

1. Bad Girl
  2. Fever
  3. Words
  4. Rain
  5. Secret Garden
  6. Thief of Hearts
  7. Deeper and Deeper
  8. Where Life Begins
  9. Erotica
  10. Bye Bye Baby
  11. Waiting
  12. Why's It So Hard
  13. In This Life
  14. Did You Do It

This will be fun  a mess  brit15. I'll try not to be too shady, as I know lots of people love this album. I realize that my biggest complaint about it is what a lot of people like, that it has such a cohesive and defined sound. I am totally here for the soupy coalescing of grunge and R&B and house on the album, but for an LP it's too synchronous and ends up becoming the aural equivalent of a Woolf novel: engrossing but disarmingly myopic in its focus. I love it as an EP with some of the fat trimmed.

1. Deeper and Deeper cry7 a predictable choice but I don't care. This was the first pre-Evita Madonna song I fell in love with as wee chile and it slayed me so hardcore back in the day. It's impossible not to sing along to. An exuberant BAWP.

2. Rain lana6

3. Erotica lana10 but nothing, and I mean NOTHING, will top the Confessions tour version.

4. Fever 

5. Bad Girl

6. Bye Bye Baby

7.-9. Thief of Hearts / Words / Waiting katy1 All three of these songs are good, but it was so fucking indulgent of her to make them all sound so similar and they're all way too long. To be honest, the album doesn't need them sonically, because the title track does it best. I do like the lyrics to Words and Waiting, though, but Waiting is a glorified recycling project itself, so that's not really a plus. These three and the crap below are why this is the one Madonna album I basically can't listen start to finish.

10.-14. (unranked and mutually irrelevant) Where Life Begins, Secret Garden, In This Life, Why's It So Hard, Did You Do It? I appreciate what she was trying to do with In this life and Why's it so Hard but they just sound like prefigurations of Kety trying to be woke and socially conscious with the Witness era. 

Just now, Madame X said:

Or better come to see live the Medellín music video and do the rank later. ny8

finally someone posted a link, i've been looking for a live stream but couldn't find one ny3

1 hour ago, Madame X said:

b!tch lol3 Imagine hating that masterpiece. lol3

Something about the production turns me off, I think. I needed a proper rework on tour, preferably a Latin one. Unfortunately we got a karaoke version on RHT. lol3 

1. Waiting
  2. Secret Garden
  3. Deeper and Deeper
  4. Erotica
  5. Thief of Hearts
  6. Words
  7. Bad Girl
  8. Rain
  9. Where Life Begins
  10. Fever
  11. Bye Bye Baby
  12. Why's It So Hard nicki5
  13. In This Life
  14. Did You Do It? um2

In This Life has the best lyrics from the album but oh god it is bad as a song.

4 minutes ago, Saiga said:

In This Life has the best lyrics from the album but oh god it is bad as a song

Its a very personal and important song but the way its produced makes me not like it very much

STOP the In This Life hatred. The most personal, emotional and important song on the album. 

1. Fever
  2. Deeper and Deeper 
  3. Erotica
  4. Bad Girl
  5. Thief of Hearts
  6. Bye Bye Baby
  7. In This Life
  8. Rain
  9. Words
  10. Secret Garden
  11. Where Life Begins
  12. Why's It So Hard
  13. Waiting
  14. Did You Do It?
14 hours ago, Saiga said:

Thots? nat1

#SatoriReconsiders

I listened to the album start to finish today (after bingeing on Bedtime Stories the superior early 90s classique). I still think the album blends together too much and that Words/Waiting/ToH sound too similar, but I was able to break them apart a bit better in trying to re-appraise the album.

1. Deeper and Deeper (=)
  2. Rain (=)  This song deserved to smash.
  3. Erotica (=)
  4. Fever (=)
  5. Waiting (+4) bebe1 I still think it's derivative but this is my favorite of that middle section that all sort of runs together.
  6. Secret Garden (+5)   bey10 u were right my dear. I never realized how jazzy this is and I really like that. It also works amazingly well as an album closer and segue to Bedtime Stories)
  7. Thief of Hearts (=) 
  8. Where Life Begins (+2) I used to hate this song but she's a cute girl to me now.
  9. Bad Girl (-4) I like this song but it is not fun to listen to. She sounds flat or something like she does on In This Lyf (see below)
  10. Bye Bye Baby (-4) eve1
  11. In This Life (+1) I had to give this one and the one below some extra points for the lyrics but the way this song sounds is honestly equivalent to this emote jj4
  12. Why's It So Hard (+1)
  13. Words (-5) This one feels the most obligatory of the three in the middle that sound similar. The one part I really like is that tonal shift for the final bridge.
  14. Did You Do It (=) feb1
Spoiler

Old ranking:

1. Deeper and Deeper 

2. Rain 

3. Erotica 

4. Fever 

5. Bad Girl

6. Bye Bye Baby

7. Thief of Hearts

8. Words

9. Waiting