Create A Label: Season 11

Beauty Queen    3,139

HALSEY POSTS BTS OF 'PARTY MONSTER' SHORT FILM TO CONNECT

ef9238b084e3201766a14170f0b74202.png

Video contents:

Spoiler

The video Halsey posts to Connect features her sitting in an interview chair behind the scenes of her short film for her upcoming album 'Party Monster'. More specifically, she talks to us about the forthcoming music video, following 'Chinatown Blues' x 'Living With Saints'. 

"So, we're on set, behind the scenes of the short film, and we're about to start filming the video that comes after Living With Saints, so I'm super excited for that. This is the part where the concept of the film really starts coming to light. The Chinatown Blues x Living With Saints double feature is sort of a prologue to the rest of the story, but this is kinda the part where the real plot of the thing comes through".

An unheard instrumental plays softly in the background - it has a cheery, poppy beat and electronic production aided by some interesting high-pitched guitars. It sounds like a fast, 'bop'-type song.

"I don't wanna give away too much, but the short film is about me, on this mission to defeat the 'Party Monster'. In the album, I am the 'Party Monster', so I guess you could say I'm sort of fighting off the worst parts of myself. It's super cool, we've designed it after sort of the idea of a video game. Fighting games like Mortal Kombat or World of Warcraft come to mind. I watched one of my favourite movies again, just before I wrote the treatment for the film, it's called 'Scott Pilgrim v. The World', and I got so inspired by this video-game-come-to-life idea that I just had to. The 'Party Monster' is like the final boss. It's super exciting"

And with a bright, toothy smile and giggle, the video ends.

Kuba    13,477

Maria    5,131

8102b5727cb5d57f087d56e024853658.jpg

Spoiler

This is basically me saying goodbye for a while due to, well, personal issues. I will try to stay less active on rabbit and stuff, but I'll still be watching the thread from time to time! I hope the game is back by the time I can return and be fully active again. Good luck to everyone and see you soon, I hope!

Ruthless Love    3,242
36 minutes ago, Maria said:

Hide contents

This is basically me saying goodbye for a while due to, well, personal issues. I will try to stay less active on rabbit and stuff, but I'll still be watching the thread from time to time! I hope the game is back by the time I can return and be fully active again. Good luck to everyone and see you soon, I hope!

ny10

Love you, sis! #TeamXtube

Mr. Mendes    2,619
2 hours ago, Maria said:

Reveal hidden contents

Love you, Mary! <3 I hope everything is okay and to see you back soon <3 We’ll miss you

Mr. Mendes    2,619

2THUy.png

Where-Were-You-In-The-Morning-770x433.jp
SHAWN MENDES ON Z100 NEW YORK

Shawn Mendes is an artist who has subverted expectations from the outset of his career. Upon the announcement of his signing to WILDD Records, many were let wondering if the then19 year old was worth paying any attention to. Having come from a background of social media fame, an area which hasn't been ripe with talent, almost all signs pointed to his signing being more to capitalize on looks and the attention that came with that. However he surprised by arriving on the scene with a voice that actually had something to say. Whether it be tackling issues of social justice or simply his own personal musings on the world around him, he offered a unique perspective. Shawn's first album was successful but many took notice that he seemed to be uncomfortable with much of it and he explained why on the song "Mysterious Skin", the lead single and first hit from his upcoming sophomore album Human. Shawn explained that he felt unlike himself and that the person many had come to be familiar with was very much unlike who he was in private. Complete with a total image and total musical reinvention, Shawn is now re-introducing himself to the world. His current single "Glass Castles" sees him at his most vulnerable, openly discussing his battles with anxiety and depression, something he'd gone through mostly in silence until the songs release. The song proved to be a hit, becoming his most successful song to date. The response to the song's topic was one that not even he expected. The song acts as the official second single from the album and will be the final single released before the album proper on May 24. However, a promotional single/instant grat track "Oasis" has also been released and Shawn will speak on it as well. Coming into a busy month with the release of his album and slew of promotional engagements, Shawn appeared for an interview segment on Z100 New York. 

gettyimages-936540958.jpg?itok=Ad4C8R9l

ON WHAT INSPIRED "GLASS CASTLES"
"It wasn't any one thing, it was a cavalcade of different emotions and experiences. I've been struggling with anxiety since I was an early teenager, but it really exploded by the time I was around sixteen. Ever since then, I've really had a lot of problems. I was never open about them because I never felt that it was okay to speak on those sorts of things. I just bottled everything up. I've been seeing a therapist for about a year and half now and that's partly why I've entered into this recovery period. But when I wrote this song, I was at the bottom of my barrel. It came from touring actually. While I enjoyed touring and getting to see the fans and everything, I hated doing the show every night because it was so inauthentic. Like, I can't even stand to watch the show back. We filmed a show for a DVD but I doubt highly that I'll ever release it. But it wasn't just the show, it was the whole thing of what I was doing feeling wrong. I would stand backstage as the intro rolled and my hands would shake and my heart would race. I was just so...afraid of everything. I was afraid of what people were thinking and saying, afraid of the whole image I created. So I wrote those feelings down and I didn't intend for them to become a song. They just did. I'm thankful that the song took form, no doubt about it. But at the time, I was miserable and I was miserable in silence. I'm in a much better place now, I'm in a recovery period and I'm proud to say that. I think it makes the song even stronger and even more worth while."

ON HIS EARLY MONTHS IN NEW YORK TALKED ABOUT IN "OASIS"
"My parents helped me rent a one room studio apartment in Manhattan. It was a tiny little place, everything right there in the room, communal bathroom across the hall. It's there that I wrote all of my material for the first album, even the songs that didn't get released. So, it's true that my career was born there. But I also made use of the city. I went for walks all the time, especially in Central Park. It was good to clear my head and to just kind of listen to what people were talking about and saying and thinking. It was special to me. I love Toronto, that's my birthplace and will be my home, but New York really is the place that breathed life into my creativity. There's endless amounts of hope and opportunity in New York, perhaps more than anywhere else in the world. I'm one of countless stories. And I wanted to tell my story. This album is an autobiography and New York is such a huge part of my story, I had to tell the story, had to!"

ON WHAT HE LEARNED FROM THE MIXED CRITICAL RECEPTION OF THE RESISTANCE
"I have to say, the album's critics did a great service to me as an artist. I don't write or play or perform for critics and any artist that does is digging their own grave. But that's not to say that what the critics have to say doesn't matter because it does. I learned a lot from the reviews of the album. The biggest thing is I got amazing feedback on my lyrics which were fairly weak for the most part and I got a ton of amazing advice on better structure and what worked and what doesn't. I also got a lot of amazing tips on the sounds that were too outdated and how to spruce all of that up a little bit. And I'm really, really thankful for that. The feedback I got is reflected in Human. There are some artists that get really upset when their work gets a negative or mixed reception, which I get. But at the same time, these critics are professional music critics for a reason. They know what they're talking about, they've been around the block, a lot of them industry professionals themselves. I knew going into releasing the album that it had issues as I've been very clear about in interviews. But they saw things I didn't and that was helpful to me. I learned things that I could work on moving forward and I do very much believe that those reviews had a positive impact on this album."

The host then played "Glass Castles" and reminded everyone to stream on Encore and purchase the track elsewhere as well as "Oasis". The host also reminded them to pre-order Human which is due for release on May 24th.