Create A Label: Season 11

ryjapo    3,300

dqYsI4c.jpg

TEXT VERSION:

Spoiler

This week, the beauty industry club welcomed its newest member in the form of singer-songwriter Florence Welch. She joined a growing list of musicians-turned-beauty brand founders, following the likes of Mariah Carey and Bella, launching her brand ‘Aurora Beauty’ in the middle of August. The brand released its first collection of products upon launch, dubbed the ‘First Arrival Collection’ which includes a range of produces for the face and lips. The ‘Sleepless’ singer has also hinted at there being more to come, assuming that the product range will expand to cover more beauty products such as eyeshadows or highlighters – terms that were revealed to be trademarked by Aurora a few months back. 

So, what compels a successful artist to take a step away from their established music career and try their hand at something completely different? We talked to Florence about what inspired her to venture into the beauty industry with Aurora, the process behind starting her brand and what the future holds.

A: First off, congratulations on the launch of Aurora. How does it feel?

F: It’s crazy! For something that started as a small idea in my head years ago to being here now and having the products exist and actually have people buying them, it’s mind-blowing to me. 

A: So, this is something you’ve wanted to do for a while now?

F: I’ve had the dream for a while and I started seeing other artists doing it and I always thought “oh, I’d love to be able to do that” but it always felt unachievable, in a way. I don’t know, I think it just felt like there was so much in the way, so many hurdles I would have to jump to get something like this off the ground.

A: What changed? What suddenly made it all seem possible?

F: Honestly it was just the support I had around me. I’m very lucky to be a part of Universal and I’ve always felt incredibly supported by them and I knew that if I made the decision to pursue this brand that I was going to give it my all and I knew they would support that. So we just started to brainstorm and chat – we meaning my close team and my friends – we just starting having these hypothetical conversations that started to get more and more serious. Eventually, I spoke to my manager and said “Do you think it’s possible?” and he said “We may as well try!”. So, we sort of became a mini beauty lab and we were trying out different ideas until we eventually reached out to LVMH and said “Would this be something you are interested in?”. 

A: Were you scared they would reject you?

F: Terrified. But at the same time, I thought, well if it doesn’t happen then I’ll just go back to doing what I always do. And I love what I do and that will never change. But yeah, I was nervous they were going to say no. 

A: But they didn’t?

F: No, they didn’t! I was so over the moon when we heard back that they wanted to hear more about the brand and what we had planned and so then the meetings started. I was in and out of meeting rooms and on calls to various people here and there, working out all the logistics and making sure that the products were perfect and the branding was all how I wanted it to be. I was very busy, but I think I was driven my excitement and the idea of what was to come.

A: Speaking of the branding, what inspired the whole idea of ‘Aurora’?

F: Aurora is the Roman goddess of dawn and the brand is named after her. I’m a big fan of mythology and Latin poetry and Aurora has always been a goddess that I admired. I liked the idea, early on, of naming the brand after a goddess because to me they embody all things beauty and art – which is how I view makeup, it’s a beautiful artform. And obviously we thought about Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of beauty and love, but it felt a bit too on-the-nose. Then I thought about Venus, her Roman equivalent, but the name didn’t feel right. And then I thought about Aurora and the concept of “dawn”. So, as a goddess, Aurora renews herself every morning and flies across the sky, announcing the arrival of the sun. And I saw the connections between “renewing” oneself every morning and the act of putting on your makeup. It might sound a bit strange, but I loved the idea of it all so I suggested we name the brand ‘Aurora’ and everyone loved it. But that’s why, with the branding and the campaigns, there’s this message of Aurora celebrating “the dawn of you”. It’s all about discovering who you are and who you want to be and introducing that to the world.

A: That’s a beautiful message and it’s fascinating to her you explain the origin of the name. Now, you touched on wanting people to discover who they want to be and sharing it with the world, is that what inspired you to pursue creating your own brand?

F: In a way, yes. In my own experiences, I’ve always used beauty and makeup-up and fashion as mediums to discover things about myself and how I want to portray myself. They are all tools of self-expression and I think makeup has the power to bring the person we are on the inside to the outside. I remember the first time I played with my mother’s makeup when I was a child. I put on lipstick and an insane amount of blush, I would have looked like a clown, but I felt amazing! Like an artist with a blank canvas, I could do whatever I wanted. There’s so much potential in that and I wanted to be a part of a world that is creating products that make that kind of experimentation possible. Some might say, “what’s so creative about some red and nude lipsticks and some foundation?”. But I say it’s about how you use it and what you want to achieve with it. For some, putting on foundation and a nude lip is their way of feeling bold. For others, they’ll find creative ways to use it however they want to. 

A: What’s your response to people who say that wearing makeup is just conforming to beauty standards and norms?

F: There is a pressure for people, particularly women, to conform to a certain level of “conventional beauty”. It comes from advertising, social media, societal pressures – all around us. Absolutely, there’s no denying that. I’ll say, first off, that part of the reason I started this brand was so that I could control the narrative we were creating. I could control the message we were putting out there. Our campaigns, our models, our marketing – I could be a part of all of it. Because I’m aware that they are so many brands out there – beauty industry and beyond – that try to manipulate their target audiences, they contribute to the culture of destructive and unrealistic beauty standards and I wanted to offer an alternative. We are striving to ensure that Aurora is and will always be an inclusive brand. We will always be about promoting individuality, creativity and self-expression above conformity and following the status-quo. 

A: Lastly, it sounds like you’re investing a lot of time and attention in to Aurora, what does the future hold?

F: I’m so excited to take Aurora further and further. A big part of moving forward and following this initial launch and the First Arrival collection is listening to what our users want and need. Whether that be adjusting formulas, expanding shade ranges – whatever it may be, I want to make sure that we prioritise taking in feedback and responding to it appropriately. To me, there’s no point churning out product after product just for the sake of it. It’s important to me that we get everything right before we move on. But with that said, obviously there is a lot more planned and there are definitely more collections and products coming down the line. I want to make sure everything is to a high-quality, but there’s definitely more coming soon. Watch this space!

FLORENCE / AURORA - ALLURE MAGAZINE

hector    30,238

ut3DQdA.png

KYLIE ON LOOSE WOMEN | UNITED KINGDOM

Spoiler

Why she decided to make Future Bass now
Kylie: I was always, always inspired by Electronic music. The rhythm, the way that it can communicate emotions without it having to have lyrics on. It’s simply beautiful to me. That’s why when I wrote Nostalgia with Ariana and the rest of incredible songwriters I told them that I wanted this to be a Pop song, but with Electronic elements so it would be it the way I wanted it and be. Always including those. So when I got the chance to work on music that I wanted to work on again was like such a relief [laughs] because I could finally go ahead with this sound! So I called up Flume and told him “Remember Coachella? Yeah let’s do it” so I went to his studio and we started to work together on a lot of songs but since this was basically a sound that hasn’t been done before I didn’t want to overwhelm people with a full album so we narrowed it down to six songs. Five if you don’t count the intro [laughs]. You can wait for the EP coming out very soon, hopefully it can come out in the next few weeks but there’s so many stuff to do! Releasing a body of work can be stressful [laughs]. 

On Caltube 
Kylie: I feel that everyone’s leaving it in the back, you know? Encore has totally overpowered Caltube in such an immense way it’s incredible. Because you have people now only streaming our music through Encore and sometimes even forget to do it on Caltube, watch the music video. And sometimes it’s disheartening because there are so many artists that put on so much work onto their music videos that they get completely thrown away, if you’re not a huge artist then you won’t have big views on there, like for example Madonna’s “Blow”, such an incredible video but it barely had views. I think it’s sad but I also understand it as Encore is way more accessible than Caltube.. I just want to make people remember that Caltube was the OG streaming service, I’m  a sucker for those kind of stuff [laughs] but I also don’t want people to feel that I’m neglecting Encore because they are amazing but I wish there would be a balance between them, that artists could be successful on both and not one here and one there. Pretty sure that can be changed, but I don’t know how.

Working with Maluma on Humanize 
Kylie: It was a dream come true, he’s such an amazing artist and basically one of the biggest right now so him wanting to work with me was very surreal. We met on the set of his Criminal music video as I’m featured on it and we never talked about collaborating in anything after that. For obvious reasons, we just went our separate ways and then just lose contact. But he recently called me and discussed about going to the studio and work, he wrote for Britney on Devotion, Flesh was one of the songs he made so of course I was literally so excited. It’s one of my favourite songs ever. So we wrote Humanize and I loved it, he’s such an underrated songwriter. I want to thank him though, for believing in me as an artist even after us having a fall out months ago. I am so happy everything’s good between us and that he’s willing to work with me. Stream Humanize on Encore! [Laughs]

Surrealism    1,249

uusFnxT.png

ZENDAYA PERFORMS ON THE VOICE KIDS UK (United Kingdom)

09-zendaya-coleman-vogue-july-2017.jpg

Full excerpt below.

Zendaya has been conjuring quite the storm lately. All eyes seem to be on her, the media and fans alike curious to see what her next move will be. The lead single to her next album titled “BOHO” can attest to that, since it is by far the singer’s biggest solo hit across all platforms. The song has managed to climb all the way up to the #2 spot, and has sold over 1,700,000 copies worldwide thus far. The song seems to be one of the defining hits of the summer, and has opened the doors for many opportunities. One of these opportunities is a brand deal with fashion retailer H&M, for a campaign that also features the “Secret” singer, Shawn Mendes. Things are looking the brightest they ever have for Zendaya, and the brightness is showing no signs of diminishing. The young star is slowly but surely proving herself to be a force to be reckoned with, and is continuously proving that she is an artist that should be taken seriously. Zendaya proceeds to promote her music all across the globe, amidst the all of the newfound success that she is seeing. To continue the week, she went on The Voice Kids UK to perform BOHO. The performance featured some of the young aspiring vocalists that are currently contestants on the child-oriented The Voice spin-off.

The flooring was blanketed with a fuschia fur rug, cut perfectly to fit the entire stage. The perimeter of the stage was lined with lights that were in the shape of disco balls, blinking off and off. The disco balls glimmered whenever the lights turned on, almost blindingly. Zendaya stood tall in the center of the stage behind a white mic stand. Her hair was pulled up high into a tight ponytail, wearing a pink mini-dress with a white fur jacket to cover up a bit more. The lights that shone from above where a pinkish hue, the colored rays descending down to the figure of a confidently stanced Zendaya. With the snap of her finger, BOHO started to play. She stood in place as she sang, closing her eyes as she sunk into, and relaxed  the unusually more laid back vibe of this performance. Some of the kids that were competing on the show joined Zendaya on the stage, Zendaya welcoming them aboard with a smile. She took the mic out of the stand, and from this point forward she moved around the stage more, incorporating some simplistic choreography that the kids would be able to replicate. The rest of the performance was relatively the same. Zendaya harmonized with the remaining young competitor, and danced by their side to the smooth 80’s beat of BOHO. The performance ended with a blast of red confetti, an expected and anticipated spectacle that was included in all performances of the single. After the performance, Zendaya was questioned about a few things by the host. 

ON PERFORMING ON THE VOICE KIDS

It’s not really an odd setting for me, to be honest! I started off my career as a kid, performing for other kids. I was even on a television show aimed towards kids. This is something that I’m used to, so I think that’s why it felt so natural coming up onto the stage to perform with some of the talented children that are competing on this show. I definitely had a lot of fun with it! If I can come back again with my next single and perform, I certainly will. Appealing to kids is important to me, even if some of my content might me more mature. The first visual for BOHO has an age warning at the beginning of it. To counteract that, the BOHO workout video was released. I’ll always make something to assure everyone is receiving content that they’ll enjoy, and will be allowed to watch without adult supervision. 

ON HER CURRENT SINGLE, BOHO

Traveling the world with this single has been an absolute blast. I’ve been to so many different countries, and had the chance to experience a huge range of unique cultures that vary from country to country. BOHO will always be a memorable song for me. I never expected the song to blow up this much, but here we are! It’s kinda taken off, and much more than anyone on my team are working under my music label hoped for. It was a surprise, but the happiest surprise of my life. A lesson for all of the kids competing on this show; you might not be a winner today, but you will be a winner someday if you keep working at it. I mean, look at me. I’ve been working my tail off and I’m finally at a stable place in my career. Don’t take being eliminated too hard. Your time will come whenever the universe has it in the cards for you.

hAd2nJv.png

Surrealism    1,249

uusFnxT.png

ZENDAYA PERFORMS ON STRICTLY COME DANCING (United Kingdom)

zendaya-feature.jpg

Full excerpt below.

Zendaya has been conjuring quite the storm lately. All eyes seem to be on her, the media and fans alike curious to see what her next move will be. The lead single to her next TBA album titled “BOHO” can attest to that, since it is by far the singer’s biggest solo hit across all platforms. The song has managed to climb all the way up to the #2 spot, and has sold over 1,700,000 copies worldwide thus far. The song seems to be one of the defining hits of the summer, and has opened the doors for many opportunities. One of these opportunities is a brand deal with fashion retailer H&M, for a campaign that also features the “Secret” singer, Shawn Mendes. Things are looking the brightest they ever have for Zendaya, and the brightness is showing no signs of diminishing. The young star is slowly but surely proving herself to be a force to be reckoned with, and is continuously proving that she is an artist that should be taken seriously. Zendaya proceeds to promote her music all across the globe, amidst the newfound success that she is seeing. To continue the week, she went on Strictly Come Dancing to perform BOHO.

The ballroom floor was sprinkled with what seems to be hundreds of reflective silver party streamers (sure to be a tough job to whoever has to sweep it up during the following commercial break), as well as empty red solo cups. Some of the cups were crushed, some were intact. The camera was focused on the ground, panning to the  back of the dancefloor. The camera looked up from the floor, a spotlight shining down on Zendaya and two male backup dancers. Zendaya stood in the middle of them, striking a confident pose. She wore bell bottom jeans and a white blouse, hair done immaculately in bountiful curls. She walked to the middle of the stage with her entourage in dramatic fashion, hand remaining on her hip. A large disco ball (like the size of Brendon’s forehead… large, but not obnoxiously massive) lowered down from the ceiling above Zendaya and the two scantily clad dancers.

That was when the beat to BOHO kicked in effectively, Zendaya and the male dancers swaying their hips side to side along to the groovy 80’s reminiscent track. The dancers moved rather effeminately and mimicked Zendaya’s feminine movements to a tee, no ‘masculine’ adjustments made to the choreography. “Who’s ready to get down tonight?!” she yelled, the audience answering back to the question with applause. “All of you? Good. There’s only one STRICT rule: you’ve gotta come dancing!” she shouted out over the extended instrumental opening of the track. Suddenly, a sea of audience members would enter the ballroom floor alongside Zendaya. About thirty, thirty five average individuals. Then Zendaya finally started to sing the first verses of the song.

The audience members  danced as if they were at a party, displaying a huge range of demographics. Every race, gender, and age was represented through the invited audience members. They interacted with each other, and danced with excitement right by the star’s side. A mini stage platform was rolled on near the back of the ballroom floor so Zendaya and the backup dancers would have a place to stand out among the overwhelming amount of people that flooded the area. Now it was almost as if Zendaya were a performer at the little party she put together for her performance on the show. Zendaya started the next few verses as she was handed a red solo cup and lifted onto the shoulders of the male dancers. She took a sip (of what was probably just water) and tossed the cup aside.

She waved her hands from side to side, the average individuals joining in on the simple movement. Then Zendaya was let down for the next chorus, and the bridge. During the bridge of the song, she stepped off of the miniature stage platform. The partygoers parted through the middle like the red sea so Zendaya could walk in between them during the slower part of the song. The camera zoomed in closer for a personal shot of Zendaya’s face as she sang the words, hitting all of the notes with precision. The instrumental cut out as she hit a high note, then returning with a blast of confetti as Zendaya broke into the final chorus. She danced her heart out with the audience members, all of them circling around her. The performance concluded with a wink from Zendaya, the show moving on to a commercial break.

hAd2nJv.png

Love So Soft    1,977

Late-Night-with-Jimmy-Fallon.png

Kelly Visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon | Paid | United States

Spoiler

Kelly Clarkson has just made her long-awaited comeback to the spotlight. This past January, she released her best-selling single yet, “Better Days,” only to step away from the public eye soon after its release. Over the next seven months, silence would follow and Kelly would retreat to be away with her family for personal reasons yet to be revealed to the general public. Now, she makes her arrival back on the scene with a bold new release – “Do You Still Think of Me?”. The track, which released this past Friday, harkens back to what Kelly originally set out to do in summer 2018 with the release of the 80s-tinged, “In the Night”. The LP it was originally intended for was shelved, however, due to Kelly not feeling satisfied with where the project was headed. Things are different now, and with Kelly finding new inspiration and direction for the album, things seem to be back on track. Now, Kelly sets out on a worldwide promotional campaign that involves TV appearances, performances, radio interviews, TV ads, and more. Today, Kelly visited The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon to perform and discuss her latest song, “Do You Still Think of Me?”, her upcoming album, and more.

Tonight, we have with us a very special guest on the show. She has been in the industry for over sixteen years ever since winning the historic first season of FOX’s hit reality singing competition, American Idol. Ever since, she has gone on to achieve worldwide success all while remaining the lovable and relatable girl-next-door we all came to know back in 2003. Ladies and gentlemen, would you please give your biggest welcome to Kelly Clarkson!

Kelly, it’s so good to see you! How have you been?
Oh my gosh, thank you so much, man! It is so great to see you too! I have been doing extremely well! We have just been.. all over the place lately [Laughs]. We just got back to the states yesterday too, and so me and my team are a little jet-lagged. But I’m so happy! I have not gotten to do all this in a while.

Yeah! I was just about to say. It’s been a while, dare I say it… Since U Been Gone? [Laughs]
[Laughs] Very nice, Jimmy. Good job. I can’t even be mad at that one [Laughs] But seriously! It is so nice getting to come back and do what I do! 

Tell me a little about your absence, kinda.. from the spotlight.
Yeah, so, this past January I dropped a song called “Better Days”, and that was great and things were moving along with that, but I just was feeling very uninspired and very.. just out of touch with myself and my music. To make a long story short, I had been putting a lot of pressure on myself to release music quickly and such. So, I then just took some time to step back completely from everything. I know on the surface, that probably made no sense, but trust me, it was the right thing.

Totally. And it was out of that break that all this wonderful new music we’re getting came out of, right?
Yes! Once I took off my own expectations and pressure, I was able to take time just to breathe and the music eventually came. The result, now, is a whole record-worth of songs including this new song, “Do You Still Think of Me?”.

Okay, yes, I wanna talk about this new song – “Do You Still Think of Me?”. What an incredible song! It sounds so fresh, yet so nostalgic. And it paints such a vivid picture in your mind as well. 
Thank you so much, Jimmy! Yeah, that was the goal with it. To balance that 80s sound with a fresh spin on it. And the goal of the song was really to allow people to be taken back to vivid memories they have, at least, that’s what this song does for me. 

And it is such an interesting concept too.
Right? It’s not even about wanting your ex back. It is more about just missing relationship with them – missing the times, the memories, and everything you shared with each other. I think the loss of a friendship from the end of a romantic relationship can be almost as damaging and hard as losing that person as a significant other in general.

For sure. You have also spoken some about and also just mentioned an album.. [The audience becomes cheering].
[Laughs] I have, yes. I can’t say much about the next record just yet. I am finishing it up now. But what I can say is that it is basically finished at this point except for one song and some other details here and there. It actually came together really quick in the matter of just a month and a half.

Really? Is that typical for you?
Not at all. Usually my records take me a while to make and Is why I can sometimes have long gaps between the records, but once I got the inspiration and direction for this album, it all just kinda came out fast.

So can we expect it…
Soon. [Laughs]

Soon as in this year soon?
..I wouldn’t say no to that question. [Laughs]

[Laughs] Understandable. But you would call “Do You Still Think of Me?” a lead single, yes?
For sure! This is the official lead off to the album. And the song I released last summer, “In the Night,” which is a promo single, will be on the album as well. So technically everyone already has two pieces of the album so far.

You have had a very specific style and aesthetic going into this whole promotional cycle and release of “Do You Still Think of Me”. Was that intentional, and if so, why?
Usually I always try to do themes or have some sort of common thread through what I release. So the singles will always correlate with the album in some way, and the singles themselves will have their own mini eras within their release cycles, so during that, I always try to build looks and such around them. For this single, it basically just gets people set up for the album, which is what I always do with my lead singles. The whole 80s-disco-diva-glam aesthetic is very much intentional as the 80s sound is very prevalent throughout the whole song. I wanted it to not only sound like it was out of the 80s, but also have the visuals emulate that era as well. 

And in regards to a music video..?
We’re about to film that, actually! I’m writing the treatment for it right now. It is going to be a different one, and it is actually already different because I normally drop my singles and videos on the same day. However, I am finding it is best for us to just focus on one thing at a time, so we’re letting people get used to the song itself then we’ll drop the music video which should be pretty visually stunning.

I’m just gonna assume a lot of big, 80s hair? [Laughs]
[Laughs] Again, I wouldn’t say no to that question!

After her interview, Kelly gave a live performance of “Do You Still Think of Me?” on the show which featured glam looks as well as a stunning vocal performance of the song.

Love So Soft    1,977

Stephen-Colbert.png

Kelly Stops By the Late Show w. Stephen Colbert | Free | United States

Spoiler

Kelly Clarkson has just made her long-awaited comeback to the spotlight. This past January, she released her best-selling single yet, “Better Days,” only to step away from the public eye soon after its release. Over the next seven months, silence would follow and Kelly would retreat to be away with her family for personal reasons yet to be revealed to the general public. Now, she makes her arrival back on the scene with a bold new release – “Do You Still Think of Me?”. The track, which released this past Friday, harkens back to what Kelly originally set out to do in summer 2018 with the release of the 80s-tinged, “In the Night”. The LP it was originally intended for was shelved, however, due to Kelly not feeling satisfied with where the project was headed. Things are different now, and with Kelly finding new inspiration and direction for the album, things seem to be back on track. Now, Kelly sets out on a worldwide promotional campaign that involves TV appearances, performances, radio interviews, TV ads, and more. Today, Kelly visited The Late Show with Stephen Colbert to discuss her latest song, “Do You Still Think of Me?”, her upcoming album, and more.

“Do You Still Think of Me”
This song we have had kind of a different approach to when it comes to marketing it and the like. I have really been wanting to focus on the nostalgic and sentimental topic the song plays off of. If you notice in all the performances so far, I showcase a lot of specific moments in a relationship that also correlate with the lyrics of the song. My main thing here is just trying to get across that whole feeling of missing a friendship despite it also being a failed relationship. There are a lot of memories associated with relationships like that, and I think sometimes we can get so caught up in moving on or just writing the other person off that we can throw away a good friendship – at times, that is. So that’s what this song is really about too.

Inspirations
Oh man. I have so many inspirations. My biggest, without a doubt, would have to be Mariah [Carey]. I think that is no secret at this point. She knows I am an obsessed fan. It’s fine. [Laughs] But for real, I have been a fan since middle school when Vision of Love first came out. She has just always cared herself with grace and dignity while also being an incredible singer AND songwriter. People forget that Mariah isn’t just this phenomenal singer, she is a phenomenal songwriter too. All those number one singles and albums, she has written herself. That is not a common thing in this industry! That takes a lot of talent. So I have always looked up to her. Getting to work with her on Masquerade for our song “Rubies & Emeralds” was a dream come true. I mean, how many people get to say, “I have a song with Mariah Carey,”? Her new album is just as amazing too. I really am glad that Mirage is getting the recognition it deserves!

Hopes for New Music
My hope for all this new music coming out from the next album is just.. to make people happy, really. This next record is a happy one. I haven’t made a happy album in.. well. A long time. [Laughs] So this is kind of new for me, in a way. These songs, and even “Do You Still Think of Me?”, just radiate positivity and happiness, and it is because that is the place I am at in my life right now. I am just genuinely happy. The last couple of albums all were pretty heavy, but I really am just looking to spread happiness, and life, and positivity with this new single and this whole era in general. That would be my ultimate hope. Anything else that happens with this record and these songs is just an added bonus.

After the interview, Kelly gave a performance of “Do You Still Think of Me?”. After, Stephen Colbert encouraged everyone to go out and buy the single and also stream it on Encore and CAL Tube. 

Love So Soft    1,977

Conan.png

Kelly Talks Dream Projects on Conan | Free | United States

Spoiler

Kelly Clarkson has just made her long-awaited comeback to the spotlight. This past January, she released her best-selling single yet, “Better Days,” only to step away from the public eye soon after its release. Over the next seven months, silence would follow and Kelly would retreat to be away with her family for personal reasons yet to be revealed to the general public. Now, she makes her arrival back on the scene with a bold new release – “Do You Still Think of Me?”. The track, which released this past Friday, harkens back to what Kelly originally set out to do in summer 2018 with the release of the 80s-tinged, “In the Night”. The LP it was originally intended for was shelved, however, due to Kelly not feeling satisfied with where the project was headed. Things are different now, and with Kelly finding new inspiration and direction for the album, things seem to be back on track. Now, Kelly sets out on a worldwide promotional campaign that involves TV appearances, performances, radio interviews, TV ads, and more. Today, Kelly visited Conan to discuss her latest song, “Do You Still Think of Me?”, her upcoming album, and more.

“Do You Still Think of Me?”
This song is such a special one for me. Not that I have not ever been excited like this about my previous songs and releases in this past, but I don’t know. This one just feels different? I think it is because I have let go of the pressure that comes with this industry, really. I am really just enjoying being an artist. At this stage, I don’t feel like I have to prove anything. So, I am doing just what feels natural and what I genuinely want to do. This song specifically came in the middle of the writing process for my next album. It is kind of the sound the record revolves around too. I really love the whole nostalgic vibe of the song – from its lyrics to even the sound being straight out of the 80s. I am also a really sentimental and nostalgic person, so that’s another reason I gravitate toward this song so much. 

Dream Projects
I have really been playing around with the idea of curating a soundtrack or something. Putting something together like that would have never been something I had thought to do in the past, but after seeing some other artists do it, I am like.. Hey! I wanna do that! [Laughs]. It would just have to be for a film or TV show I really believe in and can see spending a lot of effort building a record around, basically. I think it is something that could be really cool, and I am always keeping my eyes out for something I could do that for.. if they’ll let me too. Maybe they won’t want me and then that’ll be awkward. [Laughs] But yeah. That is for sure at the top of the list for things I want to do after this next album I release. I am always thinking about what is to come next, always dreaming about what is the next thing I can accomplish or do in my own career.

Lack of Controversy
People have asked me about this my whole career, and I don’t know. Maybe it is because I am from a small town in Texas. Everyone knew your business there. Everyone. But I was just never one to act out or anything like that. I am kind of unconventional when it comes to being a “pop star” per say. I don’t go out to the Los Angeles parties and go wild with other celebs or stuff like that. Usually most of my friends are people I knew before I became “famous” or writers and the like in the industry. It’s not even like I am a prude or against that lifestyle. It’s just not really me at all. I have always been kind of a lowkey person, so if I’m not releasing music, I am usually at home with my kids or at the grocery story. [Laughs] My publicist probably sometimes wishes I was a little more celebrity-like in that aspect, but I am sure she also appreciates it in other ways. 

After her interview, Kelly performed her single, “Do You Still Think of Me”. After, Conan encouraged everyone to go and stream the new single. 

Love So Soft    1,977

The-Talk.png

Kelly Chats with The Talk | Free | United States

Spoiler

Kelly Clarkson has just made her long-awaited comeback to the spotlight. This past January, she released her best-selling single yet, “Better Days,” only to step away from the public eye soon after its release. Over the next seven months, silence would follow and Kelly would retreat to be away with her family for personal reasons yet to be revealed to the general public. Now, she makes her arrival back on the scene with a bold new release – “Do You Still Think of Me?”. The track, which released this past Friday, harkens back to what Kelly originally set out to do in summer 2018 with the release of the 80s-tinged, “In the Night”. The LP it was originally intended for was shelved, however, due to Kelly not feeling satisfied with where the project was headed. Things are different now, and with Kelly finding new inspiration and direction for the album, things seem to be back on track. Now, Kelly sets out on a worldwide promotional campaign that involves TV appearances, performances, radio interviews, TV ads, and more. Today, Kelly visited The Talk to discuss her latest song, “Do You Still Think of Me?”, her upcoming album, and more.

“Do You Still Think of Me?”

This song is one that is really special to me because it is my first after coming off a long break. Honestly, this whole song kind of is starting off a new chapter of my career, I feel. I just have let go of a lot of pressure and expectation, and it really is so freeing, really. It makes things feel so much more fun and it has helped me get back to the root of what I love – which is singing and music. “Do You Still Think of Me?” I love just because its sound at the core is nostalgia and evokes so many different sorts of feelings. I think the topic of the song is really important in saying that you can miss the friendship with your ex but not want them back as a lover or significant other or whatever again. There’s a level of depth and maturity to it, I think. It is something that we can all relate to in some way, as well.

Touring

I would really love to get to tour this next record I am making, which is actually almost finished! But anyway. Touring is always my favorite part of my job. It was something I really missed getting to do with my last album, ANALOG. There was a lot with that album that I actually wanted to do but didn’t get to for a couple different reasons, but anyway! Touring is my favorite because at my core, I am a singer, so getting to do that every night and connect with the fans is just everything to me. I am planning to give this album the full treatment. There is a lot I wanna do with it – so a tour is a high priority. The last time I toured was with Masquerade, and I had so much fun with that. I think with this next tour, though, it will be more of a return to my roots – focusing more on the music itself rather than making this huge production. I respect that and think it’s real fun and all, but my style is more along the lines of focusing on the music and singing itself.

Family

Getting to take time off these past few months has been so great because we have gotten to be together even more as a family. River, my five year old daughter, has recently started school and she is absolutely loving it. At first I worried because she is so bossy [Laughs], but she has been coming home every day talking about how much she loves it. So that is a relief in itself. And then my youngest, Remy, has just been getting bigger and bigger! He definitely takes after his dad more. He’s more chill, relaxed, and not so.. theatrical like his mom and his sister. [Laughs] I think that extra time with family also was something that I really needed, again without the expectation of putting together a release in the future. They’re always my number one priority, though. I never thought I would be the girl to get married and have kids, but here I am! And now that I have it, I never want to let it go. After the interview, Kelly gave a performance of “Do You Still Think of Me?”. After, the host encouraged everyone to go out and buy the single and also stream it on Encore and CAL Tube.

hector    30,238

Yz9VMtv.png

KYLIE ON BBC RADIO 1 | UNITED KINGDOM

Spoiler

Working with SOPHIE & Flume
Kylie: I found out about SOPHIE a long time ago and I’ve been obsessed with her. She makes incredible music, it’s so outstanding! I just can’t get it out of my head. Many people think that her production is kinda weird or just pure noises but I really don’t see it like that. She’s so, so, so good at creating a melody and making it so different from everything else that’s on the radio and I love that. She wasn’t on the title track which was the first song I released from this project, but she was in the other songs with Flume who co-produced the entire EP with me. Working with Flume was very easy, he’s amazing and what I loved about him the most is that he understood what I wanted without me having to go over and over it which made the process very fast too. I love him and I’m so grateful that he and SOPHIE decided to go ahead and work with me. They are fantastic producers so I recommend y’all should go and listen to their music.. [Laughs]

On Encore 
Kylie: To be honest, both Encore and Caltube are such forces for streaming it’s insane. As I said in a previous interview, Caltube isn’t as big as Encore because of how accessible it is for everyone. Think about it, I’m a sucker for music videos but to stream them as I stream music I would need to lock my phone, or use it while I’m texting, etc, but once I do that the music video would stop because I’m not watching it from the app.. You know what I mean? So I say that’s a downside but I still love Caltube. Which takes me to Encore and it’s immense possibilities of also finidng a lot of incredible artists that you didn’t knew about because of the playlist system and artists sharing a lot of cool songs on them! I’m right now featured on some, there’s De Rumna, Boho Blast, Lost in a Mirage, Wave the White Flag, Songs of Paradise.. Just to name a few! This makes my music be more accessible for people around the world which I love! So anyways.. Stream Humanize on both Encore and Clatube! 

On people not believing in her 
Kylie: Is anyone surprised? Because I’m legit not surprised about this. And it’s funny you say that because I know many people that would listen to that question would start thinking about if I’m delusional or not [laughs] I kinda was back then, trust and believe, but I’m not now. I see things clearer and I know people aren’t still believing in me as an artist because of my troubled past or even because I was on a reality TV show. I’ve always wanted to be a singer, I’ve always wanted to write, compose, produce, use my talents into all of that but I never got the opportunity until now that I’m able to do what I love. I’m not asking for people to instantly be on board with me and start streaming, buying or anything from one day to the other. My only goal here is to share music and show people that I do care, I’m not the same girl that was a walking mess. It’s crazy how I’ve matured in the last couple of months and I hope that shows in my music. 

PERFORMS HUMANIZE, ANOTHER GALAXY & WHITE FERRARI

The show comes back from it’s break and you’d hear Kylie saying “Hi, welcome back, this is KYLIE and you’re listening to my new song Humanize now on BBC Radio 1” and she’d start singing the intro of the track with the vocoder and then continue with he following verse. She’d perform the whole track and in between claps when she finished the song, she’d move onto the the next one. This being a cover of Katy Perry’s album track for Atlantis this being Another Galaxy as she would say “This song spoke to me, I just love Katy and I love this song.” And she’d perform it changing the instrumental a little bit, giving it her “weird” sound, she would use for this performance her Mimu Gloves to make great arrangements that would make her voice sound a little bit more robotic to fit the song. When she ends, the next song she would perform was White Ferrari doing the exact same thing, using her Miu Gloves and giving a great rendition of the song. The show ends and Kylie would remind everyone once again to stream her new single on Caltube and Encore.

hector    30,238

ujv2EB5.png

KYLIE PERFORMS ON THE VOICE UK | UNITED KINGDOM

Spoiler

PERFORMS HUMANIZE

The show was coming to an end and the hosts would be seen in a room where the logo of The Voice could be seen, one of them pulls out a cardboard of KYLIE’s single cover for “Humanize” and say “She’s one of the new rising stars of today, ready to show the world how talented she is!” - “With her new release, Humanize, she has turned many people into believers.” - “please welcome to the stage, the incredible KYLIE!” and they’d be shaking the cardboard together as the image transitions to the stage. The camera was showing KYLIE’s profile, the stage was all dark but a soft light was behind her and smoke was all over the place. She’d start harmonising and then doing the intro for the song as she was now slowly rotating thanks to the platform that was on the stage, KYLIE would then move her hands slowly to the song as you can see now she was  wearing Mimu Gloves and distorting her own voice on the stage.. KYLIE then suddenly stops singing and looks to the audience who was screaming and then when the lights start to be bright KYLIE was seen wearing a long, long, long white dress with feathers that would cover all of the stage and she kept singing. The chorus of the song then begins and you’d see dancers appearing from beneath KYLIE’s dress and start to dance underneath the sylk as KYLIE was moving her hands and doing a live show of the Mimu Gloves for the song. 

KYLIE would move around the platform as she was singing and using the Mimu Gloves. The dancers were seen breaking free from KYLIE’s dress and they’d rip it off as KYLIE was singing the chorus of the song. She’d give a lot of emotion to the performance as this occurred and fire machines would blast across the stage and the smoke was more dense. Then lights were like lightnings as she was doing the chorus once again and then the whole place was dark and everyone starts clapping but then you would see KYLIE being on the stage and shinning because of the lights that she had on her dress to make it seem as if she wasn’t human. She’d do the chorus of the song once again as the dancers were now around her and very close, she’d pose with them and the performance ends as KYLIE was seen then smiling and the lights were bright. KYLIE was greeted by the hosts and they’d congratulate her for the performance and the song’s success, reminding everyone to purchase KYLIE’s new single on iTunes and also stream it on both Encore and Caltube before the show comes to an end.

ryjapo    3,300

TZcNa8a.jpg

FLORENCE / AURORA - GOOD MORNING AMERICA + TIMES SQUARE TAKEOVER

1 day - High - USA