Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Luca

Billboard to launch Global 100 Chart

As borders continue to break down across the international music landscape, Billboard will launch The Global 100 -- the first authoritative chart ranking top songs globally, based on worldwide streams and download sales.

Along with the new chart announced today (May 6), Billboard will also organize a global summit and data conference in 2020, where international music industry players and data partners can review insights and key measures of success, as well as discuss the most pressing issues facing the business.

“The launch of The Global 100 marks a major step in the continuing evolution of the Billboard charts,” said Silvio Pietroluongo, senior vp charts and data products. “For decades, the U.S.-based Billboard Hot 100 has been viewed throughout the world as the barometer of success in music. Now, Billboard is proud to present a companion chart that will measure the impact of songs on an international scale.

The Global 100 will make its debut later this year driven by a Nielsen platform with expanded global measurement tools, covering activity in more than 180 territories around the world. The chart's ranking will be based on a weighted formula incorporating streams on both subscription and ad-supported tiers of leading audio and video music services, plus download sales from top music retailers across the globe.

“The current musical landscape is no longer defined by borders and The Global 100 will further unify the music world by providing the definitive view of today’s top hits,” said Deanna Brown, president, Billboard – The Hollywood Reporter Media Group. “Coupled with the launch of our international music summit, Billboard is once again showing its commitment to being the leading platform for the music industry.”

Added Nielsen Music chief product officer Simon Adams: “Nielsen has served as the trusted data provider for Billboard Charts for more than 25 years in the U.S. and Canada. Leveraging Nielsen’s new global music data expertise and proven methodologies, Billboard will now provide the music industry with a trusted view of chart-ranking artists globally.”

The announcement comes on the heels of Billboard's Latin Music Week in Las Vegas last month, which gathered Latin artists, songwriters, producers and industry executives to discuss the genre's global reach.

x

The Global 100 will make its debut later this year driven by a Nielsen platform with expanded global measurement tools, covering activity in more than 180 territories around the world. The chart's ranking will be based on a weighted formula incorporating streams on both subscription and ad-supported tiers of leading audio and video music services, plus download sales from top music retailers across the globe.

“The current musical landscape is no longer defined by borders and The Global 100 will further unify the music world by providing the definitive view of today’s top hits,” said Deanna Brown, president, Billboard – The Hollywood Reporter Media Group. “Coupled with the launch of our international music summit, Billboard is once again showing its commitment to being the leading platform for the music industry.”

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8510285/billboard-launch-global-100-chart-international-music-conference

Omg I never thought we’d see the day dead2 

Hopefully it’s not a Eurocentric chart though and includes stats from Asian countries unlike CM/UWC (though they’re getting there) shrug1 perched to see the outcomes though, I feel like this might end up overtaking the Hot 100 in some ways as well. I mean who cares about the chart of just that one country when you have an official one for the entire world?

4 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Omg I never thought we’d see the day dead2 

Hopefully it’s not a Eurocentric chart though and includes stats from Asian countries unlike CM/UWC (though they’re getting there) shrug1 perched to see the outcomes though, I feel like this might end up overtaking the Hot 100 in some ways as well. I mean who cares about the chart of just that one country when you have an official one for the entire world?

It will be a hot ass mess though, in this climate with kpop releases? dead1 

3 minutes ago, Luca said:

We- I didn’t think about that jj3 

But I mean maybe they can find a way to weight it? Like releases in Asian countries should obviously count, but the sales market and way they do things is very different. It would be unfair if because of the market the #1 is always a Kpop song. However I dunno how they’ll go about this. 

I did hear that UWC is now finally counting Asian countries and even then BTS only debuted at #2 on the singles chart, which sounded about right imo because of how they weight stuff. Hopefully they have a plan.

9 minutes ago, Luca said:

Then its a good thing, make the gays less cocky about their faves selling moderately well brit15

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.