Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Dennis Reynolds

NES and retro video games

Here's my NES collection:

Still in box

Batman 

Beetlejuice

Bubble Bobble

The Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle

BurgerTime

Cabal

Castlevania

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

Dick Tracy 

Dr. Mario

Friday the 13th

Ghosts 'n Goblins

The Goonies II

Gremlins 2: The New Batch

Kirby's Adventure

The Legend of Zelda

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Mega Man 2

Metroid

Ninja Gaiden

Pin*Bot

Punch-Out!!

Q*bert

Star Wars

Street Fighter 2010

Super C

Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt

Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet

Super Mario Bros. 2

Super Mario Bros. 3

Super Off-Road

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 

Tetris

Top Gun: The Second Mission

Wizards & Warriors

I've beaten Bubble Bobble, Kirby and the latter two Mario games. Out of the ones I haven't beaten,  Batman, Castlevania, the first Super Mario Bros, Star Wars, Mega Man 2 and Ninja Gaiden are the ones I've played the most, with the final game being the one that's really kicking my ass dead2 and Dr. Mario and Tetris, not that you can beat Tetris and I'm not sure if Dr. Mario maxes out or not.

3 minutes ago, Hylia said:

I still need to fully play the original Zelda. Iirc, they did release a special edition of it for the Switch, so I may check that out.

I haven't dedicated that much time to the first Zelda, but I like it. I've actually played more of Zelda II, just because I'm more used to the sidescrolling style.

I unfortunately didn't have any consoles when I was younger until the original PlayStation released so I didn't get a chance to play many of the early NES games fall1 

But when the first GameBoy came out, I got that that and played many of the Zelda, Super Mario, Kirby and of course Pokemon (Gold was my first) :) 

And also, pretty off-topic, but has anyone played Stardew Valley? I bought the game back at release and played it a bit but recently I've been playing it so much. It touches on a lot of retro themes and brings back a lot of Harvest Moon nostalgia. Love it! :D 

Also, since you can play a lot of NES games on the Switch, I played a lot of the original Zelda when that released :) 

1 hour ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I haven't dedicated that much time to the first Zelda, but I like it. I've actually played more of Zelda II, just because I'm more used to the sidescrolling style.

I’ve seen a lot of fans criticize Zelda II because of the side scrolling, but I want to play it too. Obviously not NES, but will you be playing the Link’s Awakening remake coming out this year?

2 hours ago, Hylia said:

I’ve seen a lot of fans criticize Zelda II because of the side scrolling, but I want to play it too. Obviously not NES, but will you be playing the Link’s Awakening remake coming out this year?

Zelda II is just fucking unfairly hard. That’s my gripe with it. I was fully maxed out when I played, but dying in the final dungeon sent me ALL THE WAY back to the starting overworld point. It was a struggle just to cross the overworld again to reach the dungeon without Game Over, let alone beating it AND the boss too.

I HATE IT meg1 

18 minutes ago, Umbreon said:

Zelda II is just fucking unfairly hard. That’s my gripe with it. I was fully maxed out when I played, but dying in the final dungeon sent me ALL THE WAY back to the starting overworld point. It was a struggle just to cross the overworld again to reach the dungeon without Game Over, let alone beating it AND the boss too.

I HATE IT meg1 

Mess. fall8 That makes me glad that they now have a save system with NES games on the Nintendo Eshop. sia3 

13 minutes ago, Hylia said:

Mess. fall8 That makes me glad that they now have a save system with NES games on the Nintendo Eshop. sia3 

I owned the Collector’s Edition on GameCube that had a save system and still- going from the starting temple it defaults you at every time you load it and to the final dungeon without dying was a NIGHTMARE. Maxed out health, magic, and spells? Doesn’t matter sia3 

1 minute ago, Umbreon said:

I owned the Collector’s Edition on GameCube that had a save system and still- going from the starting temple it defaults you at every time you load it and to the final dungeon without dying was a NIGHTMARE. Maxed out health, magic, and spells? Doesn’t matter sia3 

I had that too! It’s where I played Majora’s Mask until it was released on the Wii’s shop, then the remake on the 3DS. The save systems on classic games in download shops work by taking you back to the exact moment you saved in the same exact spot, with everything intact, as opposed to the typical warping you back to the entrance or beginning. sia1 

10 minutes ago, Hylia said:

I had that too! It’s where I played Majora’s Mask until it was released on the Wii’s shop, then the remake on the 3DS. The save systems on classic games in download shops work by taking you back to the exact moment you saved in the same exact spot, with everything intact, as opposed to the typical warping you back to the entrance or beginning. sia1 

Ohhhhh. So with Nintendo Switch Online I can just restart from any point I’ve saved. Omg I may go back and play that god forsaken game then just to say I’ve beaten it dead2 

21 minutes ago, Umbreon said:

Ohhhhh. So with Nintendo Switch Online I can just restart from any point I’ve saved. Omg I may go back and play that god forsaken game then just to say I’ve beaten it dead2 

You can! Or at least that’s how they were on the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS (I used the feature in The Minish Cap on the latter), so I assume the Switch is the same way. jj2 

5 hours ago, Hylia said:

I still need to fully play the original Zelda. Iirc, they did release a special edition of it for the Switch, so I may check that out.

4 hours ago, Hylia said:

I still need to play the original Zelda too. I have the Classic NES so I'm planning on getting into it eventually. I'm a little worried because the gameplay and the puzzles are notoriously difficult – especially for me who is used to modern games being a little more obvious XD I had to look up a walkthrough a few times for Link to the Past.

And I think it's more criticized in retrospect? Pretty sure people liked it when it came out. It was just different. 

19 minutes ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

I still need to play the original Zelda too. I have the Classic NES so I'm planning on getting into it eventually. I'm a little worried because the gameplay and the puzzles are notoriously difficult – especially for me who is used to modern games being a little more obvious XD I had to look up a walkthrough a few times for Link to the Past.

And I think it's more criticized in retrospect? Pretty sure people liked it when it came out. It was just different. 

One day I want to play the series in chronological order from the timeline perspective. I’m still holding out hope for an HD port of Skyward Sword to the Switch because I actually really love that game, and I’m also not wanting to hook my Wii U back up for one game. fall8 I also don’t know where any of my Wii remotes are so… yikes!

4 hours ago, Hylia said:

Unlikely since I don't own a Switch fall8 The only other Zelda game I've played besides those two is Ocarina of Time, so I'm about 20 years behind.

2 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Unlikely since I don't own a Switch fall8 The only other Zelda game I've played besides those two is Ocarina of Time, so I'm about 20 years behind.

Idk why I thought you did. fall8 But if you liked Ocarina of Time, you should play Majora’s Mask because it’s a direct sequel and it’s also just one of the best in the series. Twilight Princess as well because as far as games in Hyrule go, it’s the one that’s closest to OoT and the backstory is heavily tied into it. Not to mention it was my favorite until Breath of the Wild came along.

23 minutes ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

Aren't you a Contra enthusiast? I haven't played that but I tried Super C again recently and man alive do I suck at it rip2 

I didn’t mean to veer this thread so off topic from the NES. fall8 Zelda’s impact on my mind never ceases to amaze me. I wanna check out the Castlevania series in general because I love playing as Richter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and the Dracula’s Castle stage is incredible. Plus, I’ve heard great things about the new anime.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.