Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Like a Prayer, Dark Ballet & Future | Eurovision | May 18, 2019

Recommended Posts

Jjang    13,392
8 hours ago, Satori said:

I feel like the narrative for this era just disappeared after Medellín, which even if people hated, set the tone for the record and had a definable concept AND boasted a superior live debut, even if it had problems too. Now we’ve been given this weird motley assortment of hip-hop leaning singles, which are definitely okay and I’ve enjoyed them, but it’s like what the fuck is this era about? It’s the messiest I have EVER seen Madonna and I don’t really know what to make of it. 

How is it messier than Rebel Heartbey4 Don't tell me you seriously fell for that I'm a romantic rebel bs. 

Unlike RH, the songs so far seem to be connected so I disagree that the narrative vanished. You could easily allude Crave's bridge to Medellin's storyline, and Future to I Rise. I mean, I'm not saying its groundbreaking, but it's definitely something for 2019Donna.

 

Personally I find both Crave and Future to be great, I don't get how you can hate on that yet stan half the garbage on RH or even the widely beloved Girl Gone Wild. It's just mind blowing to see how Pop fans react to their faves going to something more Urban oriented, it's literally like they're allergic to that transition. And I'm talking contemporary Urban, not the stereotypical one of the 90's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joanna    399

Well at least she’s still good at one thing. Knowing how to make everyone talking about her performance fall2 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madonna    38,063
2 hours ago, Jjang said:

How is it messier than Rebel Heartbey4 Don't tell me you seriously fell for that I'm a romantic rebel bs. 

Unlike RH, the songs so far seem to be connected so I disagree that the narrative vanished. You could easily allude Crave's bridge to Medellin's storyline, and Future to I Rise. I mean, I'm not saying its groundbreaking, but it's definitely something for 2019Donna.

 

Personally I find both Crave and Future to be great, I don't get how you can hate on that yet stan half the garbage on RH or even the widely beloved Girl Gone Wild. It's just mind blowing to see how Pop fans react to their faves going to something more Urban oriented, it's literally like they're allergic to that transition. And I'm talking contemporary Urban, not the stereotypical one of the 90's.

Rebel Heart honestly had a more consistent theme and overall the songwriting on that album was stronger (because she got a lot of help from other writers). This album is shaping up to be quite pretentious whilst lacking the quality of Rebel Heart and even Hard Candy. The latter was also very uninspired but at least managed to deliver strong melodies and lyrics at times. This album sounds like it was written by an 8th grader.

That said, I like everything bar Medellín so far. Still, the lack of writing ability and the bland production is apparent on all of the songs. It's definitely the worst bunch of songs we've gotten from her since idk...ever?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched it again today and i liked it more, the only thing that annoys me is vocoder in future and i dont get how her friendship with quavo started and how their private conversations look like dead4 like how did that happend

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and intro she did between lap and future is apparently intro from dark ballet from album and i guess dark ballet serves as actual intro for album interesting1

Medellín maybe is just telling us shes going to mindset she had starting her Journey and db is actually start of album 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joanna    399

I watched it again too and it’s not really as bad as everyone’s making it out to be. Future was a bit awk with Quavo though, didn’t really look like they work well together at all and as if he didn’t even wanna be there dead2 Loved that she took a risk with the Israeli and Palestinian flags though and doesn’t give a shit what anyone thinks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Royalty    92,912

I love Madonna but that performance was HORRIBLE rip4 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rebel Bitch    8,303
2 hours ago, Royalty said:

I love Madonna but that performance was HORRIBLE rip4 

This. A nightmare. katy2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adriano    858

A mess of a performance... 

she could do soltera, crave, medellin, la isla bonita... lib was actually rediscovered by gp on spotify. Yet she picks this mess with quavo, who looked on drugs. She even corrected a move from him in the end, she looked at him like “point ur arm up”. not bringing maluma was a huge mistake. Quavo is there to captalize, or even because it’s madonna and he could not turn down. 

If that is the dark ballet intro tho, i am really curious. As said before, i bet there are much better songs in the album that will never be even performed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Satori    4,040
8 hours ago, Jjang said:

How is it messier than Rebel Heartbey4 Don't tell me you seriously fell for that I'm a romantic rebel bs. 

Unlike RH, the songs so far seem to be connected so I disagree that the narrative vanished. You could easily allude Crave's bridge to Medellin's storyline, and Future to I Rise. I mean, I'm not saying its groundbreaking, but it's definitely something for 2019Donna.

 

Personally I find both Crave and Future to be great, I don't get how you can hate on that yet stan half the garbage on RH or even the widely beloved Girl Gone Wild. It's just mind blowing to see how Pop fans react to their faves going to something more Urban oriented, it's literally like they're allergic to that transition. And I'm talking contemporary Urban, not the stereotypical one of the 90's.

I am not talking about lyrics. Literally all of Madonna’s lyrics follow the same themes so of course there’s cohesion there, just like there is a modicum of that quality on every single one of her albums, however varied. I’m talking about the production side. We were sold on this project as a Latin-leaning Lisbon-centric change of pace for her—the Madame X personae = different genres thing feels like a lazy way of explaining another album that is just sort of all over the place. Which RH was too, but albums that play with duality always make more sense narratively. No I didn’t buy the romantic rebel thing, but it was definitely a coherent scheme, however uninspired. And visually it manifested much more seamlessly. The LFL stuff is a good example, combining the romantic side of things like the roses and the color red and some of her outfits with the more rebellious matador imagery. I’m making these observations despite having huge problems with the era and the album. Just because I complimented one aspect of it doesn’t mean I think it’s ROL quality and Madame Turd is all garbage. 

 

And I know you might not have meant it this way, but I really didn’t appreciate being lumped in with this group of people who are apprehensive of their faves dabbling in urban sounds or R&B.... nothing in my posts anywhere on this forum has suggested that, as I’m actually very fond of both the 90s style you slighted and contemporary/futuristic R&B, especially if we aren’t only talking about American artists and include British ones.  To that point, I quite like Future and Crave I praised in the thread for it—but that doesn’t mean when I point out that her vocals are a mess or that they sound like they belong on the third R&B album we never got from Madonna (to complete the BS and HC trinity agh one can dream) that it’s because I dislike the genre or mind her playing with it. What I am struggling with is having a clearly RH-type ballad like I Rise with the two songs just mentioned plus Medellín... I’m sorry but it just doesn’t mesh for me except in the most ephemeral of “everyone listens to everything” ways. I prefer themeDonna and that extends to the music as well, which is something she hasn’t really done since HC, unless we call MDNA’s musical theme basicity, which I have done, most notably by insulting, btw, Girl Gone Wild on many occasions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kim Jongin    173

I feel like this era is going too fast and she is releasing singles without proprely promoting them. Like Medellin is not even a month old and she only performed it once. Then she releases Crave as a second single, a little bit early but ok, it could work. But then the video takes too long to come out and now she moves on from it and performs Future at Eurovision? bey4 Wouldn't it make more sense to perform your upcoming single that will actually have the video than the buzz one? Or even perform your ACTUAL MAIN SINGLE witch didn't even chart in the US but with a performance with Maluma who is hot in Europe and the fact that most of Europe like latin songs it could have atleast gather some traction there. Future and Quavo are too American for people at an European contest to care about especially when the contestants performances were mostly camp and hers was too serious. A Medellin/ Soltera medley would've been more fun. 

I can't believe how this turned out when at the beginning people were excited about the rollout just cuz her Instagram looked proper and thought her team had their shit together lol3. I even thought the era looked put together even though she flopped they knew what they were doing Now..lol3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, SockBitch said:

 

I’m like 99.9% positive they redubbed her vocals and I’m dead

It sounds the same um1 they might have made her vocals louder maybe 

Why everyone is  so obsessed now with this,

can this woman do anything without people breathing down her neck every second. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SockBitch    532
8 minutes ago, Unapologetic Bitch said:

It sounds the same um1 they might have made her vocals louder maybe 

Why everyone is  so obsessed now with this,

can this woman do anything without people breathing down her neck every second. 

Maybe I’m just hallucinating then. I didn’t think that she sounded bad, a little off pitch at times but whatever that mix of LAP is mostly percussion anyway so I can understand why it could be hard live.

 

The vocals are definitely fixed here like she does for her concert films (which have improved in quality since the obvious studio redub of S&S)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joanna    399
5 hours ago, Kim Jongin said:

I feel like this era is going too fast and she is releasing singles without proprely promoting them. Like Medellin is not even a month old and she only performed it once. Then she releases Crave as a second single, a little bit early but ok, it could work. But then the video takes too long to come out and now she moves on from it and performs Future at Eurovision? bey4 Wouldn't it make more sense to perform your upcoming single that will actually have the video than the buzz one? Or even perform your ACTUAL MAIN SINGLE witch didn't even chart in the US but with a performance with Maluma who is hot in Europe and the fact that most of Europe like latin songs it could have atleast gather some traction there. Future and Quavo are too American for people at an European contest to care about especially when the contestants performances were mostly camp and hers was too serious. A Medellin/ Soltera medley would've been more fun. 

I can't believe how this turned out when at the beginning people were excited about the rollout just cuz her Instagram looked proper and thought her team had their shit together lol3. I even thought the era looked put together even though she flopped they knew what they were doing Now..lol3

I really doubt Madonna cares at this point about what makes more sense. She just does what she wants and I’m cool with that because she seems happy, nothing else matters really moo1 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freeek    1
9 hours ago, Unapologetic Bitch said:

It sounds the same um1 they might have made her vocals louder maybe 

Why everyone is  so obsessed now with this,

can this woman do anything without people breathing down her neck every second. 

You are deaf as hell! It doesn't sound the same at all, totally pitch corrected which even shows that she must be aware of how bad it was or else she would have uploaded the original broadcast version.

Georgina agrees. When you perform in front of 200 million people you have to get it right, especially when you call yourself Queen of Pop, there's just no way around it.

The vocal effects on Future were nothing but atrocious and no chemistry whatsoever with Quavo who seemed completely out of place anyway.

And she really had to lipsync the spoken part? Is she for real?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, freeek said:

You are deaf as hell! It doesn't sound the same at all, totally pitch corrected which even shows that she must aware of how bad it was or else she would have uploaded the original broadcast version.

Georgina agrees. When you perform in front of 200 million people you have to get it right, especially when you call yourself Queen of Pop, there's just no way around it.

The vocal effects on Future were nothing but atrocious and no chemistry whatsoever with Quavo who seemed completely out of place anyway.

And she really had to lipsync the spoken part? Is she for real?? 

First of all stfu and take a seat. 

I heard it once on tv then the yt version. It didn't bothered me if its pitched or not cos it wasnt that bad in first place. 

Second its well known by now that she had ear piece issues and couldn't find her pitch, its not her fault and fact that whole music in this performance was pretty much only looped beat didnt help too. Its not a case of some lame fucking argument that "When you perform in front of 200 million people you have to get it right, especially when you call yourself Queen of Pop, there's just no way around it." if you cant do it, cos something doesn't work right it doesnt matter if you are queen of pop or first time performer. It wont be right. 

And honestly fixing that pitch in yt video is not even that big deal anywayshrug1

Im so fucking tired of this fanbase going on some apeshit crazy vendetta everytime she blinks. 

And I dont give a flying fuck about what some youtuber react person thinks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Browsing now   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×